• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While it sounds like pretty easy batting, it's still encouraging to see Jesse get a good start. Will be keen to see how he approached his innings.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
While it sounds like pretty easy batting, it's still encouraging to see Jesse get a good start. Will be keen to see how he approached his innings.
If Jesse Ryder makes an incredibly unlikely return to international cricket then if real life is like a hollywood movie we will be the team of destiny and will win the world cup. Our team will have conquered internal turmoil and personal journeys that will give them great strength. I realise that sounds corny but if nothing else I would love to watch a ryder century for the black caps this year.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Could've very easily been a 400/0 insertion...

"Wellington is dying and we don’t know how to turn it around. All you have is government, Victoria University, and Weta Workshop.”

– John Key
I have to give it to Key itbt. You can picture him walking through the Basin during an over from Gillespie or Franklin, in particular.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant

Could've very easily been a 400/0 insertion...

I have to give it to Key itbt. You can picture him walking through the Basin during an over from Gillespie or Franklin, in particular.
two observations, Gillespie looked very gentle and Mckay still has an action to die for !

Mike5181

International Captain
Gillespie might be playing himself out of the squad for the West Indies series. Milne can't be too far behind.

Looks like Ryder's doing well.

"I think everyone's pretty pleased to see Jesse back on the field," Hesson said from Dhaka yesterday. "He hadn't hit a ball until not that long ago and there was a bit of a worry in terms of his co-ordination when you do get a head injury.

''He's going to have to score a high volume of runs, I don't think there's any doubt about that."

Flem274*

123/5
****ing hell Gillespie has gotten floatier since the A series. No way should he be near the test side bowling like that. Looks like McKay bowled ok with little luck.

Ryder batted with more maturity than I remember. He had a few moments but when Wellington were bowling like that it would have been so easy to come out in cbf mode like he did last season. They didn't really deserve much respect but Ryder restrained himself for the most part.

Wells out for another start. When you watch him in the vault he looks so much better than his record suggests.

EDIT: Michael Bracewell looks pretty classy, though he's going to cop so much **** from his mates for getting out like that.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryder batted with more maturity than I remember. He had a few moments but when Wellington were bowling like that it would have been so easy to come out in cbf mode like he did last season. They didn't really deserve much respect but Ryder restrained himself for the most part.
Yeah that's where bonus points are just getting in the way tbh. Ryder trying uppercuts two overs from stumps, probably just because he's Ryder, but also Otago are rewarded for passing 400 before 110 overs are up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'll give him this: he's looking in pretty good shape. I initially didn't even realise it was him until Kippax pointed it out.

I'm not convinced. Ryder started off looking fit, powerful and unstoppable last season. By the end of it, after a few months of reading his own press, he was fat, troublesome and his attempts at run-making were laughable. Anyway, the moment I checked today's scorecard he got out, so I'm obviously in top form myself.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
fmd Bracewell looks like he has all the time in the world (against seamers, anyway). Will slot in nicely at 5 or 6 in a few years time imo.

Flem274*

123/5
He reminds me of Fleming apart from the backlift. It could just be he's a tall lefty but he has the minimal but precise footwork, the timing and the signature drives too.

He's one of several who I hope average 50-60+ this season to give our nearly empty batting stocks a bit of a boost. It would be good for the game if Bracewell, Mitchell, Latham, Craigchopa, Young, Raval and Worker have big seasons (which would make two big seasons in a row for some) to put the pressure on Anderson, Brownlie, Ryder, Flynn, Broom and Carlchopa to score even more runs than they already do (and Guptill can just start scoring runs pls).

Flem274*

123/5
For Hurricane's benefit I've got a list of Fast Bowlers to Watch

In The Thick of It
Southee
Boult
Wagner

Nearly There - Just a Few More Wickets
Gillespie
Bracewell
Milne
Butler

Good Domestix but Not Really in the Frame Yet
Henry
Wheeler
McClenaghan
Bennett

Shows Promise - Make Your Name
Anderson
Small
Mathieson
Verma
Bartlett
Duffy
Neesham
Kugglejuggle

Will Never Play Again
Arnel
McKay
Mills
Aldridge

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Broom had a habit of playing the wrong line to straight balls when he first got a go several years back though, so might not be the last time he goes for lbw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Broom had a habit of playing the wrong line to straight balls when he first got a go several years back though, so might not be the last time he goes for lbw.
If the umpire thinks the off stump is as wide as Jesse Ryder's left thigh on a consistent basis then he'll probably get out lbw every game.

Flem274*

123/5
4 for over 120 isn't really decent. Someone had to get the eventual wickets. A few 5fers for less than 100 would be a good way to say "me >>>>>>> Sodhi".

Butler is starting slowly. Papps looks to be loving it. Wellington have a really good platform here. Franklin/Woodcock/Ronchi are all bankers and they won't have the usual pressure on their shoulders to score. They should be aiming to equal Otago's total from here if they bat well.

edit: ooh good I jinxed the import.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
4 for over 120 isn't really decent. Someone had to get the eventual wickets. A few 5fers for less than 100 would be a good way to say "me >>>>>>Sodhi.
Given that the rest of the bowling attack was getting bossed around at 4rpo, and the pitch sounds as docile as a 2 month old kitten, 4/120 seems pretty decent to me, especially given the early season pastings he's received in other years.