• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Ball of the Century'

Arachnodouche

International Captain
View attachment 20283

Here is the man. Cricinfo lists his batting average as 26 - so if Smiley is right then his form must have really fallen away at the end.

Warne in the video is really talking up Basit like he is a real quality bat. I note that he didn't make it anywhere in the A-Z of CWs world XIs so maybe this was an oversight that should be rectified.
I remember watching his breakthrough series in WI where virtually everybody thought him to be the second coming of Miandad. Had some streetsmarts about him, too bad he didn't go anywhere.

There was another bowler from that tour if I remember correctly..Aamer Nazir? Used to bowl big banana inswingers, wonder where he went.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Terribly overrated ball to a terribly overrated player of spin. Warne cleaned up many better batsmen with absolute rippers. Best was against Basit Ali. Murali sent one to Sandagopan Ramesh, the absolute mirror image of Gatting ball, only thing was Ramesh was class above Gatting when it came to playing spin.
good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you.jpg

smash84

The Tiger King
I remember watching his breakthrough series in WI where virtually everybody thought him to be the second coming of Miandad. Had some streetsmarts about him, too bad he didn't go anywhere.

There was another bowler from that tour if I remember correctly..Aamer Nazir? Used to bowl big banana inswingers, wonder where he went.
Yeah Basit ALi was being touted at that time as a potential to replace Miandad. Did have trouble with team mates at the time of match fixing and all that. His form also dropped significantly.

Yeah thinking of Basit Ali always brings memories of Aamir Nazir for some reason. He got Lara out a fair few times in the days when Lara was playing god like. He withered away like a lot of the other 90s bowlers who bowled around the 2Ws.

the big bambino

International Captain
Terribly overrated ball to a terribly overrated player of spin. Warne cleaned up many better batsmen with absolute rippers. Best was against Basit Ali. Murali sent one to Sandagopan Ramesh, the absolute mirror image of Gatting ball, only thing was Ramesh was class above Gatting when it came to playing spin.
Really? Really! It swerved at pace to pitch on or just outside leg, squared up Gatt and ripped across him to KO his off stump. I've not seen a better ball bowled by a spinner and neither have you.

uvelocity

International Coach
View attachment 20283

Here is the man. Cricinfo lists his batting average as 26 - so if Smiley is right then his form must have really fallen away at the end.

Warne in the video is really talking up Basit like he is a real quality bat. I note that he didn't make it anywhere in the A-Z of CWs world XIs so maybe this was an oversight that should be rectified.
thanks for the picture of basit ali hcane. along the same lines i'm wondering who here has drafted basit ali in one of their fantasy teams?

Top_Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov0uiBBGg7U

Sometimes even good players have trouble outside the leg stump.
Yeah but that was after so long a period of bowling two feet outside leg-stump from Nagamootoo, Waugh probably kicked the ball onto the stumps deliberately out of sheer boredom (after considering several methods of suicide). All that ball does is show how good a football player Waugh was.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but that was after so long a period of bowling two feet outside leg-stump from Nagamootoo, Waugh probably kicked the ball onto the stumps deliberately out of sheer boredom (after considering several methods of suicide). All that ball does is show how good a football player Waugh was.
Yeah, getting out that way (as compared to skying one) looks more impressive for the bowler too, hence Nagamootoo continues to get selected and continues to be mostly unthreatening :ph34r:

Top_Cat

All I remember about Nagamootoo is everyone commenting about how well he batted in that Test.

Daemon

Googling Nagamootoo made me realis Kallicharan and Kanhai are sort of related

kingkallis

International Coach
Yeah thinking of Basit Ali always brings memories of Aamir Nazir for some reason. He got Lara out a fair few times in the days when Lara was playing god like. He withered away like a lot of the other 90s bowlers who bowled around the 2Ws.
Aamir Nazir had late out-swinging yorkers as a main weapon ( in-swinging in case of Lara ) and Lara used to fail to those full pitched deliveries which came in sharply.

Top_Cat

No kidding, the narionalism on stuff like this is ****ing sickening. I mean, if we're talking about quality of the delivery alone, there are actually more than two contenders, believe or or not. I doubt, for example, you'd see a better wrong'un than this one but hey, **** it, my guy is better because he comes from the same patch of dirt I did. Reppin.