• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Legend. Didn't like him much at all, but the guy has been ridiculously good. From this day forth, George Bush looks like Ponting, not the other way around.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe he made the same mistake I did:
Until I checked earlier today why Ponting would leave halfway the series, I was sure there would be 4 tests.....
Yes, my bad! In my defence I haven't been keeping up with cricket as much this year, especially recently.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I often felt that his wicket was the crucial one, even among the rest of the legends in the lineup. I only thought that we had a sniff at Edgbaston in 2005 when Flintoff got him at the end of that famous over. And after he had single-handedly saved them at Old Trafford, it needed the Garry Pratt run-out to stop him setting up what would surely have been a match-winning target at Trent Bridge. Even at the Oval in 2009, when Aus needed over 500, I felt they had a chance whilst he and Hussey were together and we needed MH to run Ponting out to put that particular nightmare scenario to rest. Without a run-out or Flintoff's impersonation of an act of God, we never really looked like dismissing him when it really mattered.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Sad to see him go, really enjoyed watching him as a player. Love watching the 150 from Old Trafford in 05 top innings stayed up for the Aus vs India series and was really glad I got to see his centuries but I have to admit I was still worried as to whether or not he'd make it to England next year, shame would've liked to go see a test and him be playing in it.

Now we need a new pantomime villain for the next Ashes and lets be honest Clarke lacks the ability to be that looks like he could talk his way out of a starving lion from eating him, Ponting was more like he'd eat the lion.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now we need a new pantomime villain for the next Ashes and lets be honest Clarke lacks the ability to be that looks like he could talk his way out of a starving lion from eating him, Ponting was more like he'd eat the lion.
Be Johnson, back now so altogether now... HE BOWLS TO THE LEFT...:laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What I loved most was his brutal honesty about himself and the game. Never made excuses or pulled punches when he lost. I never heard him make Dhoni-esque type remakrs like 'especially if we have to take more than ten wickets' or whatever dumbass thing he said. He might have, but it certainly would have been uncharacteristic. It was extremely professional and definitely reflects well on him - and I think on the Aussie sporting culture in general.

As an Indian fan unfamiliar with batsmen being able to play deliveries above knee height - this was always fun to admire.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Champion player and an all time great batsmen. Was always a fan of him from his debut. Was an absolute delight to watch him bat

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
haha, love the string of shots off Shane Bond all in a bunch there. Absolutely clear now that Rob hates Kiwis.

My own personal favourite knock was his 144 in 2001 against England. Showcases everything about the man at his best; aggressive response to a wobbly start, technical simplicity and the ability to change gears really quickly to rip out some glorious shots.
mate, you read my mind. that 144 was simply glorious. Hammered the daylights out of the poms, he was lucky to even be selected in that test too, he had failed in the 3 previous tests, and the 3 tests in India before that Ashes, and Damien Martyn had already taken Langer's place, if not for Slater being out of form too i have no doubt Ponting wouldve been dropped, it was his first series at #3 since 1996, and there was that contentious Butcher catch when Ponting was on 0, he nicked it to the slips and it was one of those which looks dicey on tv replays, but was probably out, he got the reprieve and just belted the most glorious 4's all day long.

Ricky Ponting 144 Runs 2001 4th Test Headingly - YouTube

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
One of my saddest days as a cricket fan. It's funny I don't ever really feel that sad seeing players from my own team go maybe due to the fact we have became so succumbed to producing mediocre players over the last 3 decades that I never hold that much hope for them to last long :laugh:.

But feeling greatly saddened by him not getting to end it the way way he wanted especially all the harsh treatment he has received from the media in the last phase of his career for struggling. Seeing a struggling Ponting not giving up and still trying to do well for his team made me respect the man even more.

I know a lot of people don't like him for his on field behavior (for some of it I often felt he was often treated unfairly) and things like that but IMO that's really what made him so interesting and I liked him for that even though I didn't quite always agree with what he would say. Had the most balls of any cricketer I have ever seen whether it be getting up straight away and keep on batting after getting hit in the face with a bouncer from a fast bowler or telling people exactly what he thought of you and not giving a ****.

The most beautiful stroke maker I have ever seen, the best all round fielder, and the most interesting cricketer. All hail Ricky Ponting. One of my top 3 favorite cricketers.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Don't let us stop you, ****...

Great player. Best Aussie batsman since G Chappell IMO, and by some margin. What a player. This really is the end of the great australian era - the last of the greats retires.
Pretty big call that.

His pull shot was a thing of beauty though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
haha, love the string of shots off Shane Bond all in a bunch there. Absolutely clear now that Rob hates Kiwis.

My own personal favourite knock was his 144 in 2001 against England. Showcases everything about the man at his best; aggressive response to a wobbly start, technical simplicity and the ability to change gears really quickly to rip out some glorious shots.
His 156 (?) at Old Trafford was one of the great knocks. Was so good that it was only when Warne got out that I stopped being worried Australia might actually take the Test.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Third best bat of his generation after Lara and Tendulkar, a **** on the field when things didn't go his way, probably a stand up guy off it.