• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2012

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised you think that. I'm a big fan of Faf and I think he will be an important player going forward for South Africa in the middle overs of limited overs games. Having said that, it would be a major risk to play him above a proven, experienced and classy player like Hussey at this stage in the tournament. At this point, it's not so much about what someone brings to the side and relative form. It's just about experience and knowing how to deal with various situations. For example, when CSK were 1/2 after 2 overs today, someone like Faf who doesn't yet have the big match experience may have panicked and given his wicket away at an awkward time whereas you would trust Hussey to bat you out of that predicament because he has done it so many times in his international career.
Ugh not this experience fallacy bull**** again. Hussey playing out a maiden to Turbinator shortly after was rubbish. His second scoring shot was a slash that just went past first slip and he hit a shot that scraped over Pollard for 6 (if he'd been on the boundary he'd have caught it, on another day he may he have caught it). It's about batting well whatever the situation is, does experience make Afridi bat with any semblance of intelligence? No. It's about batting well and batting intelligently. Experience makes almost no difference when you compare Hussey and Faf in that situation.

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ugh not this experience fallacy bull**** again. Hussey playing out a maiden to Turbinator shortly after was rubbish. His second scoring shot was a slash that just went past first slip and he hit a shot that scraped over Pollard for 6 (if he'd been on the boundary he'd have caught it, on another day he may he have caught it). It's about batting well whatever the situation is, does experience make Afridi bat with any semblance of intelligence? No. It's about batting well and batting intelligently. Experience makes almost no difference when you compare Hussey and Faf in that situation.
OK, when Faf gets replaced by a glorified slogger like Afridi then please inform me. I think it's a perfectly reasonable and sensible decision to replace Faf with Hussey at this stage. Why would you take a risk on someone who has only played international cricket for about a year over someone who has been doing it for years, done it for you before and is a banker?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
OK, when Faf gets replaced by a glorified slogger like Afridi then please inform me. I think it's a perfectly reasonable and sensible decision to replace Faf with Hussey at this stage. Why would you take a risk on someone who has only played international cricket for about a year over someone who has been doing it for years, done it for you before and is a banker?
I think it is a perfectly acceptable decision. Hussey especially in the crunch games is a solid bet as far as I am concerned.

Scaly piscine

That has little to do with the experience argument you quoted.

As for du Plessis he was doing a great job at the top of the order. Then they bring in a guy who bats in the middle order, to try and do the job du Plessis was already doing. Not only that they also played Hussey as an opener and du Plessis in the middle order in one of the games. It's nonsensical.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I see both sides of the argument here. I for one would have kept Faf in because he was in top form and I believe recent form is perhaps more key in T20 than the other formats where proven class will usually come through. You could do worse than to bring Hussey in though, and I certainly wouldn't consider it a poor decision.

I for one would have played both and left Bravo out, but then he gunned it in the match so what do I know?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hussey would surely be rated in the top ten T20 batsmen in the world or so. I understand Faf has been doing well but leaving Hussey out would be ridiculous; if anything Bravo or Hilfenhaus should've been left out.

Scaly piscine

Hussey doesn't fit particularly well with CSK either. He's a high averaging batsman with a low strike rate (if he opens). CSK score too slowly up front and have ridiculous batting depth. It's okay when you can tuck into some pies at the end but that's not always going to happen. Bravo has actually done surprisingly well with the ball lately in the later overs. So I agree with dropping Bollinger and playing both Hussey and du Plessis as Faf will score quicker at the start (he's useless coming in down the order).

GGG

State Captain
This is strange from DD, load the team up with batsman and bowl first, drop the higest wicket taker in the comp, pick a guy that hasn't played a ipl game and for good measure have a bowl yourself and get taken for 21 in 6 balls.