• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2012

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
De Villiers putting on a clinic.

Royals need to field first always. There fielding is so bad that there is no way they defend good scores most of the time. Best result for them is to let the opposition get a middling score and hope to chase the score down.

theegyptian

impressive by de villiers but bloody hell half volley after length ball after half volley. Embarrassing some of the bowling.

Jacknife

International Captain
Just switched on, man what a absolutely filthy over, 3 full tosses, a no ball, rank half trackers, that over had it all.

Wow last 5 overs 82.:laugh:

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
impressive by de villiers but bloody hell half volley after length ball after half volley. Embarrassing some of the bowling.
Indeed, looked pretty much like filth bowling practice.

LOL just listening to the presenters on ITV4 between innings and they were talking about Hogg and the male presenter said 'Hogg yes he's certainly still a fit fuc... fella' and stopped before he completed the word and stuttered, then said fella, I had to rewind the live TV back to make sure I caught it properly and I sure did.

Last edited:

theegyptian

a) Why play Gayle when he's ill? Surely they knew before the toss he was ill.
b) I assume Pomersbach is on as a substitute for Gayle? Surely this shouldn't be allowed as Gayle came into the game with the illness. You telling me he was fine 30 minutes before the toss but in the next 20 minutes he came down with an illness??

theegyptian

So he needs to be scoring over 50 every game?
no he just needs to not runout teammates, field badly, (he has improved on both of these accounts as far as I can see), piss off teammates with his attitude, be 5 years younger etc etc

As impressive as his results have been, the standard of this IPL(I mean how many international bowlers has he faced and dominated in this IPL, Malinga???) and the other domestic competitions has been average. England have gone down the route of superfit, strong, youngsters as batsman and fielders (Bairstow, Buttler, Morgan, Kieswetter etc) and for instance in the last game they played strangled Pakistan in the field.

Shah would improve England with the bat to my mind. He is adaptable and experienced and has proved himself in all conditions. But I feel (and think the England setup will feel) that he is too much of a risk to bring back now. For team dynamics and harmony, for his fielding and running between the wickets, for his fidgety and nervous style that seems to be magnified when he plays on the big stage.

I think it's close because you can't dismiss his success and the lack of experience of the england t20 middle order but barring injuries to Morgan or Pietersen I don't feel they will go back down this path.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The only way I would countenance him coming back would be if he did get 50 a game. Been too **** for too long.

theegyptian

Is there a better middle order T20 player than De Villers?
this is going to get laughed at but Morgan has been a better international T20 middle order batsman (and the best to my mind) than De Villiers. De Villiers has actually struggled a bit in the middle order and has struggled to hit the ball powerfully from the start of his innings in T20. Morgan has been exceptional with England in T20 cricket and has seemingly no problem coming in and playing shots immediately and adapting to different scenarios

obviously this looks stupid at present as morgan hasn't done too well in ipl and is sitting on the bench of an average ipl team at present and is in **** form and obviously i'd select de villiers over morgan in a heartbeat tomorrow but don't discount history.

weeman27bob

this is going to get laughed at but Morgan has been a better international T20 middle order batsman (and the best to my mind) than De Villiers. De Villiers has actually struggled a bit in the middle order and has struggled to hit the ball powerfully from the start of his innings in T20. Morgan has been exceptional with England in T20 cricket and has seemingly no problem coming in and playing shots immediately and adapting to different scenarios

obviously this looks stupid at present as morgan hasn't done too well in ipl and is sitting on the bench of an average ipl team at present and is in **** form and obviously i'd select de villiers over morgan in a heartbeat tomorrow but don't discount history.
No, you make a very good point there. They've got relatively similar T20 records as a whole, with AB coming out on top, but in terms of international T20 Morgan has performed significantly better.

De Villiers would have to be the choice on current form, and is probably slightly more valuable to most teams because of his keeping abilities. Morgan is probably a better player on the big stage though.

I'll tell you what though, both of them batting at the same time in top form would be a joy to watch.

Jacknife

International Captain
no he just needs to not runout teammates, field badly, (he has improved on both of these accounts as far as I can see), piss off teammates with his attitude, be 5 years younger etc etc

As impressive as his results have been, the standard of this IPL(I mean how many international bowlers has he faced and dominated in this IPL, Malinga???) and the other domestic competitions has been average. England have gone down the route of superfit, strong, youngsters as batsman and fielders (Bairstow, Buttler, Morgan, Kieswetter etc) and for instance in the last game they played strangled Pakistan in the field.

Shah would improve England with the bat to my mind. He is adaptable and experienced and has proved himself in all conditions. But I feel (and think the England setup will feel) that he is too much of a risk to bring back now. For team dynamics and harmony, for his fielding and running between the wickets, for his fidgety and nervous style that seems to be magnified when he plays on the big stage.

I think it's close because you can't dismiss his success and the lack of experience of the england t20 middle order but barring injuries to Morgan or Pietersen I don't feel they will go back down this path.
This, practically said exactly the same in response to a article about him and his chances for England. It will be interesting to see how he goes in this years home T20 this summer, whether he can keep the form up or it drops off.