• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
But so much **** in Indian cricket is happening because of IPL and it's obvious. Cricketers skipping test tours, going to test tours half fit, not acknowledging the **** performances etc.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, wile I agree people blame the IPL too much, it definitely has had some impact. Sehwag delaying shoulder surgery to play IPL and hence being unfit for the first 2 tests of the England series and being unprepared in the last 2 tests for instance.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But so much **** in Indian cricket is happening because of IPL and it's obvious. Cricketers skipping test tours, going to test tours half fit, not acknowledging the **** performances etc.
I'm definitely not having that mixing almost all of the world's best and most experienced cricketers into squads that are predominantly Indian and filled with youngsters and having them play in front of massive crowds is bad for Indian cricket. It's all wrapped up in the curious idea that in the case of the IPL (and ONLY in the case of the IPL), playing more cricket is bad for cricketers. It makes them tired, they might get injured, they might get 'burnout'. Getting good at T20 will, by some highly conjectural mechanism, make them bad at test cricket.

All of those things are true of domestic cricket too, which no one ever complains about, understanding that playing lots of competitive cricket with top-class players probably isn't the worst idea if you want to get better at cricket. Because to think that would be really stupid, wouldn't it. The principle of playing more cricket being bad for cricketers is only applicable to the IPL, because the IPL is cursed. Playing there causes burnout, injuries, incorrect priorities, unprofessionalism, tiredness, chronic impatience, general direness and acne, as it is unwholesome cricket.

No. It's all just old people spouting bollocks in an effort to discredit something they don't like.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm definitely not having that mixing almost all of the world's best and most experienced cricketers into squads that are predominantly Indian and filled with youngsters and having them play in front of massive crowds is bad for Indian cricket. It's all wrapped up in the curious idea that in the case of the IPL (and ONLY in the case of the IPL), playing more cricket is bad for cricketers. It makes them tired, they might get injured, they might get 'burnout'. Getting good at T20 will, by some highly conjectural mechanism, make them bad at test cricket.

All of those things are true of domestic cricket too, which no one ever complains about, understanding that playing lots of competitive cricket with top-class players probably isn't the worst idea if you want to get better at cricket. Because to think that would be really stupid, wouldn't it. The principle of playing more cricket being bad for cricketers is only applicable to the IPL, because the IPL is cursed. Playing there causes burnout, injuries, incorrect priorities, unprofessionalism, tiredness, chronic impatience, general direness and acne, as it is unwholesome cricket.

No. It's all just old people spouting bollocks in an effort to discredit something they don't like.
I agree, but when it come to playing IPL and missing international tours you can see why fans get frustrated. No one ever gets rested for a test series and plays first class domestic cricket instead, but that has happened with Indian players and the IPL.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm it's understandable, but when cricketers can just choose to give a miss to a tour they don't much fancy, you have a problem. All the IPL is doing is exposing it.

I'm not denying that there'll occasionally be a problem stemming from someone's involvement in the IPL. But the same is true of all cricket, and for some reason no one wants to admit that there might be a benefit to having every 19 year old in the country face Shane Warne in front of 50,000 people.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The earlier discussion on crowd reaction is pretty interesting. I have always felt maybe we take our cricket a bit too seriously. The deafening silence we sometimes see when an opponent hits a boundary is embarrassing. Not saying all the Indian grounds do it but we do see it at many grounds. As others mentioned love the English crowds for that reason. The gentle clapping is so good to hear. I am a bit divided about the booing of Ponting at the presentation ceremony though. His performance was appreciated in that particular match and the booing is more because of a general dislike for him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As an Englishman, I've booed Ponting to the crease, but I clapped with awe watching him bat and applauded a great innings when he got out. I dont really support him getting booed collecting MOTM awards etc

Satguru

Banned
The earlier discussion on crowd reaction is pretty interesting. I have always felt maybe we take our cricket a bit too seriously. The deafening silence we sometimes see when an opponent hits a boundary is embarrassing.
yeah... reminds me of Lagaan :p
Srsly, its exactly like in the movie at most Indian and Bangla grounds... opposition batsman hits six... crowd which was deafeningly loud a second ago goes into a deathly silence...
FFS its a game, you're not playing for your lives

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The earlier discussion on crowd reaction is pretty interesting. I have always felt maybe we take our cricket a bit too seriously. The deafening silence we sometimes see when an opponent hits a boundary is embarrassing. Not saying all the Indian grounds do it but we do see it at many grounds. As others mentioned love the English crowds for that reason. The gentle clapping is so good to hear. I am a bit divided about the booing of Ponting at the presentation ceremony though. His performance was appreciated in that particular match and the booing is more because of a general dislike for him.
The one that makes me laugh a bit about Indian crowds is that they'll get more excited about a ball going in the air, and plopping for two, than a boundary scorched along the ground. Just love seeing the ball in the air!

smash84

The Tiger King
I think it is a SC thing. Pretty embarrassing as you say. The crowds in Eng are probably the best followed by Aus and SA.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Different crowds have different characteristics thats all. You ****s are all reading too much into it. If I have payed almost a months' salary to be at the ground for a game, I will damn well do whatever the **** I feel like doing. My cousin specifically went to a KKR vs CSK game in the first IPL season to boo Ponting, he didn't care about the result. If thats what a paying fan wants to do, who the **** are you ****s to question him? Get the **** off your high horses.

bagapath

International Captain
Does your cousin fart in restaurants and give the same "I am spending my money; I will do whatever I want" excuse?

bagapath

International Captain
**** ponting. What about others who also spend their hard earned money to watch cricket live? Why should they put up with rude assholes who come to a ground specifically boo someone?