• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2012

mono

U19 Debutant
Vinay Kumar is mud. Why on earth would any team pay over a million dollars for a numpty like himself when you could probably just buy a random Indain spinner for 20K and get the same use out of him?
I think he's a fairly competent T20 bowler, I'd even say that he is one of the better indian T20 bowlers. He's just awful to watch.

biased indian

International Coach
watched the last over of that game on 14 inch TV screen with around 30+ CSK supporters in a small vegetable shop in Chennai...it was nice to see the tension on each people face when you are not bothered about who should win :)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Vinay Kumar is mud. Why on earth would any team pay over a million dollars for a numpty like himself when you could probably just buy a random Indain spinner for 20K and get the same use out of him?
I think he could be a possible option for India in ODIs, but yes, never worth £1million.

Migara

International Coach
I don't know why you bother posting there. I've had the displeasure of reading that forum a couple of times and it's a joke. Almost as bad as PakPassion.
As bad as is an overstatement. Found that New Delhi logic is far hilarious than Lahori logic.

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think he's a fairly competent T20 bowler, I'd even say that he is one of the better indian T20 bowlers. He's just awful to watch.
Being one of the better Indian T20 seam bowlers isn't exactly saying much though, is it? He's absolutely awful. I don't understand these bowlers like Dan Christian and Vinay Kumar bowling over-waist high full tosses on leg stump in the final over of a game. Just land the ball on the pitch, if it gets for a six then fair enough but don't give away 5 free runs off 0 deliveries. It's really pathetic that these are players representing their respective countries. Not just any country but two cricketing superpowers in Australia and India. What a sad reflection on the state of bowling at the moment.

Feel a bit for Kohli, a part-timer should never be bowling one of the last 2 overs in an innings. Why didn't Vettori bowl Bhatkal? I mean he's rubbish too but surely better than Kohli. If you trust Kohli over Bhatkal then clearly Bhatkal is worse than a part-timer, which is just embarrassing for him because he is in the side as a bowler.

Nice innings by the talented du Plessis, I really hope he is in our T20 side for the WC. He should be a regular in the South African limited overs set-up (ODIs and T20s).

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
I live in the UK, I still love hearing Danny Morrison go "ah, that's a DLFer".
Yeah, I guess I can live with that stuff but some of the other things like Siva's commentary, pointless interviews etc. are unbearable at times. The worst thing about the IPL in the UK is how the presenters and pundits keep talking after every wicket falls. They mostly end up asking too many questions and talk into the next 3 balls. They should just keep the opinions and questions until the innings concludes, no point after every single wicket.

mono

U19 Debutant
RCB is way too dependent on thier 'super stars'. If you take out kholi & the other 4 internationals RCB is aweful, with both the bat & ball. Even zaheer khan is nothing above mediocre in T20s.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Yep. Sorry if I insulted you at any point...I did apologize to anyone I was aggressive to. Just winds me up so much how people can refuse to engage with what I'm saying.
erm No, I am not a member of the fast bowling brigade there.

Shri

Mr. Glass
You shouldn't have posted those videos of you doing stand up comedy manee, I always think you are being sarcastic in every post these days.:p

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, I'm seldom sarcastic in CC.

I'm unsure what it is, but IPL seems to be an area where a CW panel of selectors could probably win a tournament, four years out of five. Strong domestic performers in the format, given that they are not in a period of poor form. People stronger in other formats are overpriced and people who are exclusively good in T20 are underrated. It is easy to avoid getting ripped off by Indian players. If they have a bit of international experience for India combined with a reasonable domestic record (but nothing special) in the format, they WILL be a rip off.

Have quit revision for the day to watch some IPL cricket. Don't expect to see Shami Ahmed after Balaji's unplayable performance last game. Will be fun to see how Balaji is coming along though. I don't think Balaji is Test standard, but I'd always rather him in the team than either of Sreesanth or Varun Aaron (Aaron strictly is an atm judgement, I think he has a future).

Hope Rajasthan give Dole, Narwal, Chahar or Pankaj a go in a game soon, as I'd like to see any of them bowl. But with Amit and Trivedi doing well, with their suspect actions and slower balls, that seems unlikely. And Brad Hogg, I just love watching him bowl. That googly, much to Michael Atherton's assertion that it is standard and easy to spot, appears unpickable to all batsmen and that is extremely entertaining to watch - the dude is such an awesome, underrated bowler in both limited overs formats.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just looked it up. Hogg has been playing a fair bit of T20. Played for Cape Cobras and did well. Before that, played in the BPL. Didn't do well in BPL but did well for Cobras.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably a throw. He's not Marlon Samuels but there is definitely a straightening in there.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
Haha, I'm seldom sarcastic in CC.

I'm unsure what it is, but IPL seems to be an area where a CW panel of selectors could probably win a tournament, four years out of five. Strong domestic performers in the format, given that they are not in a period of poor form. People stronger in other formats are overpriced and people who are exclusively good in T20 are underrated. It is easy to avoid getting ripped off by Indian players. If they have a bit of international experience for India combined with a reasonable domestic record (but nothing special) in the format, they WILL be a rip off.

Have quit revision for the day to watch some IPL cricket. Don't expect to see Shami Ahmed after Balaji's unplayable performance last game. Will be fun to see how Balaji is coming along though. I don't think Balaji is Test standard, but I'd always rather him in the team than either of Sreesanth or Varun Aaron (Aaron strictly is an atm judgement, I think he has a future).

Hope Rajasthan give Dole, Narwal, Chahar or Pankaj a go in a game soon, as I'd like to see any of them bowl. But with Amit and Trivedi doing well, with their suspect actions and slower balls, that seems unlikely. And Brad Hogg, I just love watching him bowl. That googly, much to Michael Atherton's assertion that it is standard and easy to spot, appears unpickable to all batsmen and that is extremely entertaining to watch - the dude is such an awesome, underrated bowler in both limited overs formats.
Out of interest, say you were in control of a franchise, what overseas players would you (realistically) look at getting in?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of interest, say you were in control of a franchise, what overseas players would you (realistically) look at getting in?
"Realistically" is a tough one...

Assuming infinite availability but not infinite money. I.e. You'll never get Watson, Pollard or Malinga. No Pakistanis because they are unlikely to be involved in short term future.

• Dave Warner
  • Shaun Marsh
  • Owais Shah
  • Dinesh Chandimal
  • Albie Morkel (though not sure I'd bowl him all that much)
  • Steven Smith (more of an investment and a lot for his fielding)
  • Andrew McDonald
  • Krishmar Santokie
  • Tino Best

Last edited:

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
"Realistically" is a tough one...

Assuming infinite availability but not infinite money. I.e. You'll never get Watson, Pollard or Malinga. No Pakistanis because they are unlikely to be involved in short term future.

• Dave Warner
  • Shaun Marsh
  • Owais Shah
  • Dinesh Chandimal
  • Albie Morkel (though not sure I'd bowl him all that much)
  • Steven Smith (more of an investment and a lot for his fielding)
  • Andrew McDonald
  • Krishmar Santokie
  • Tino Best
I reckon you could do with one (more) big name player there, although I suppose that depends on how available they are.

Maybe I'm wrong here, I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd imagine most of the IPL runs/wickets from overseas players are taken by the big guns? Not to say that your team wouldn't work, or anything though.