• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As is sometimes the case, a collapse may have given the windies their best chance at a win.

Hope they can somehow bat out 30 or 40 overs tomorrow and set a target of 200+. Will set up a great finish if they do.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well what can i say? went to sleep at lunch full of frustration that we couldn't finish them off despite being given an extra half an hour before tea, woke up a few hours ago to see our bowlers actually had the nerve to let Clark declare and then just to add insult to injury the batters fecked it up again!!!..it's just typical!! 8-) , it's difficult to accept considering we've been on top for the majority of the game,

I think todays performance exposed our problems, Sammy is a two wicket an innings bowler, and imo that puts pressure on the other bowlers and when they aren't firing we run out of ideas, that's why Aus was allowed to build that last wicket stand, it also happened when we played Pakistan last year, had them on the ropes only for their last wicket to add 90 runs, which effectively won them the game,

I think Bishoo and Fidel need to be dropped ASAP, Bishoo looks a shadow of his former self and i think his confidence has been dented by the sudden rise of Narine, everyone knows if Sunil had stayed then Bishy wouldn't be in the team right now, and today more than anything we missed Narine, i don't think that last wicket stand happens if we had him today,

As for Fidel, the guy just doesn't have the brains to get the best batters out when they are well set, you can't just run in fast and expect miracles, you need to set them up FFS :@ ,

Obviously the Aussies will be loving it tonight, but all is not lost, Deo is still there and so is Sammy, if we get beyond 200 then it's very much game on, we all saw what happened to Aus in the second test vs NZ, they were chasing 241 and fell apart, so needless to say i'm still hopeful!! :cool: .

Arachnodouche

International Captain
WI and Pak have to be the two most attritional batting sides in the world. They are capable of spending time in the middle, but a collapse will always leave them with not very much.

Having said that, the Australia of even 3 yrs back would be major favorites. As things stand today , however, anything in excess of 150 would take some getting. Go Windies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty rank running by both but I'm still at a loss to explain how Watto didn't see Ponting not running.
Just don't see him as the answer at three tbh.

At his best as a test batsman he made 90s and not big tons, always looks an lb candidate early to the moving ball (ie, when you need your three at his best) and enjoys running his top order partners out every few matches.

I thought he might do the job, but it's not a spot where a bloke making 50 is to be considered a good outcome, and that seems to be his way.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's a fair point. Not really sure how to fix it, loath to change our middle order now that it's firing for the first time in four years or so.

Spikey

i mean, obviously if he gets a ton soonish he won't get cut, but he won't get that much time to hit the ton

Spikey

well if we collaspe to 58 ao next innings, and don't past 150 in either innings of next test, we probably will

Burgey

No one would seriously suggest Watto is physically up to being the third seamer in a four man attack would they?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A lot of people in media seem extremely keen on the Cowan/Warner partnership regardless of what actually happens because they compliment each other's games, and while true it amounts to nowt if they're not both actually scoring runs. While Cowan doesn't deserve to be dropped yet, you can't just keep picking him forevermore based on how his partnership with Warner warms your heart and balances your Chi.

Burgey

neither is harris tbf. siddle's big heart makes up for it though
Yeah, but while Watson is in the side he isn't asked to be.

I was thinking whether they would risk batting Watson at seven, as part of a four man attack at the expense of one of the three blokes who pretty much bowl what he does now, only 5-10 kph faster than him. I wouldn't, and I don't think they will either. It's a shame he isn't physically up to it though, because he's a genuine wicket taker these days (though that might be because he bowls less overs and is fresh).

Would that it were so, you could then slot Forrest at three, Watson at seven, Nev/ Wade at eight and keep the middle order as is for the moment.

I'd like to see Cowan given a bit of a shot at making the spot his own. He compliments Warner pretty well, and in a couple of his first tests he got sawn off when he was looking pretty good. Has his limitations, but they all do ffs. Just needs to convert starts. But the same goes for Watson.

Edit: As Cribb noted.

Last edited: