• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Briony

International Debutant
Because Martin Guptill is just out of form you know, He was in form before.*

*completely coincidentally when minnows were here.

But as I said, if he makes a big score here then I can't knock him for it, and he will definitely play the next test if he does.
Think it's a bit unfair to compare Vettori and Guptill in terms of omissions because one is an opener and the other usually bats #6 to #8. It's highly unlikely that Vettori would average nearly forty against the non-minnows if he was opening.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think it's a bit unfair to compare Vettori and Guptill in terms of omissions because one is an opener and the other usually bats #6 to #8. It's highly unlikely that Vettori would average nearly forty against the non-minnows if he was opening.
It is also highly unlikely Guptill would average 40 against non-minnows if he was batting #6-8.

Flem274*

123/5
What we need is a bowler - a good one - who won't get nosebleeds batting at eight.

Watched Matt Henry bat and Dougeh has a better technical base to bat eight imo. Haven't watched Wagner yet, and can't think of any others in the Promising Bowlers Inc. who have scored many runs. Nethula?

If we're Wellington we'll put Boam at eight. If we're ND, Hiini. Howsie to suicide at that last one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd say it'd be more likely for Guptill to average 40 at 6-8 than Vettori to average 40 opening.
Yeah but Guptill only averages 24 himself opening against non-minnows. My point was that Vettori not averaging as much opening as he does batting down the order was a non-sequitur when comparing him to Guptill because Guptill doesn't either (not even close) and Vettori's preferred position isn't as an opener anyway.

Mike5181

International Captain
What we need is a bowler - a good one - who won't get nosebleeds batting at eight.

Watched Matt Henry bat and Dougeh has a better technical base to bat eight imo. Haven't watched Wagner yet, and can't think of any others in the Promising Bowlers Inc. who have scored many runs. Nethula?

If we're Wellington we'll put Boam at eight. If we're ND, Hiini. Howsie to suicide at that last one.
I'd back Wagner to bat at eight if Bracewell continues to struggle there. Henry is still young and inexperienced so I wouldn't judge his performances with the bat yet. He did smack the South Africans around in that T20 game though.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah but Guptill only averages 24 himself opening against non-minnows. My point was that Vettori not averaging as much opening as he does batting down the order was a non-sequitur when comparing him to Guptill because Guptill doesn't either (not even close) and Vettori's preferred position isn't as an opener anyway.
Guptill prefers missionary I hear.

Flem274*

123/5
Athlai thinks Guptill is just below being an ATG NZ opener.

True story.

In other news, I'm watching an Ingram hundred and he has gone from no defensive technique to Jesse Ryder defensive technique. His feet move a bit and the balance is impeccable. Going to upload this to show you all how wrong you are about THE KING.*

*He may or may not have been dropped at slip first ball.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can just see it happening, though. Flynn and Guptill, the two most droppable batsmen in the side, are going to hit 70 odd each here. No-one else will score any runs and New Zealand will lose, but Guptill and Flynn will cement their places for their next Test, and you can't really drop any of the other batsmen, so you'll be stuck with a three-man attack again.
BTW, have you made a concession yet on your ridiculous call of playing Boult ahead of Gillespie leading into this match or did you think that would just slide? :p

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder what got John Wright all upset if Doull's correct.
From what I hear, it's not a million miles off the mark. I doubt very very highly he told the players it could be his last Test though - that's quite likely to be a load of crap. Wright is too professional, guarded and unprone to bursts of emotion to do that. Toull obviously had to have a hook to his article.

But word is he in particular doesn't like what Littlejohn does/doesn't bring to the table. I'd say he'll go to the CEO and say what he wants going forward, and if he gets it he stays...if he doesn't he goes. And Kim Lawnbowls will go before him.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Far out does Doull sound pissed off or what? Where has this John Wright thing suddenly come from?
Doull being pissed off is one of Doull's favourite things to do - you can just imagine the voice he'd be using as well.

6.Daniel Vettori
7.Kruger Van Wyk+
:lightbulb :thumbs_up :devil2:

You can just see it happening, though. Flynn and Guptill, the two most droppable batsmen in the side, are going to hit 70 odd each here. No-one else will score any runs and New Zealand will lose, but Guptill and Flynn will cement their places for their next Test, and you can't really drop any of the other batsmen, so you'll be stuck with a three-man attack again.
This is exactly what will happen (though they only need to hit 40 each imo). Can't drop Flynn now anyway cos he's new (and good). And I've been skirting around the idea of dropping Guptill because, now that I've accepted Franklin will never be good, I can feel my 'he will step up one day' delusions transferring over to Marty G. Great fielder, plays county cricket instead of IPL, wears cool sunglasses, bowls 'handy' spin; he's basically the whole package apart from that troublesome run-scoring aspect of being a batsman :happy:. What this means for team balance................................... I'd rather not think about.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So 9 wickets fall in three days. When oh when will NZC stop serving up these lifeless roads.
I take it you missed the first test where 71 wickets fell in a single day?

The pitch was under the covers for a whole week before the match too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I take it you missed the first test where 71 wickets fell in a single day?

The pitch was under the covers for a whole week before the match too.
Ahahahaha

Anyhoo, looks like the kiwis should be okay here. Two sessions' non-terrible batting will see them past the follow on, and there lies safety.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pah, I knew Guptill would score an arsey, chance-laden 50 at some stage in this series to save his place.