• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Howsie

International Captain
Flynn brings up his 50. Double it and he's a chance.
If Dean Brownlie isn't ready to go in Hamilton you have to pick Flynn afaic. Sure he hasn't played a lot of cricket this summer but we can't go into another test match with Rob Nicol opening.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If Dean Brownlie isn't ready to go in Hamilton you have to pick Flynn afaic. Sure he hasn't played a lot of cricket this summer but we can't go into another test match with Rob Nicol opening.
Can almost guarantee that if Brownlie is not fit they will continue with Nicol in the interest of backing their decision and consistency.

So Brownlie had better bloody well be fit....

Mike5181

International Captain
Can almost guarantee that if Brownlie is not fit they will continue with Nicol in the interest of backing their decision and consistency.

So Brownlie had better bloody well be fit....
They'd likely replace Nicol with Watling if Brownlie's not fit. It'll be interesting to see if they give him the gloves because personally Van Wyk has earned himself another game as our wicketkeeper.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In Santner we've got our token bit's n peices player tbh.
I guess the question is if we assume the bits are the batting and the pieces are the bowling; that Hiini had a few bits but virtually no pieces this season. How does Santner stack up in comparison?

One could ask, "What's hit bit rate?"

Flem274*

123/5
Matt Henry could well find himself in the test side if he cuts through a CD line up that hasn't looked this vulnerable in a while.

Howsie

International Captain
Come on, neither Latham nor Henry should be anywhere near test selection. I hate this place when New Zealand are getting pummeled in a test match.

Flem274*

123/5
Latham isn't, but can't see how you wouldn't have Henry in the line.

I can't think of a more deserving bowler to replace Southee who we can actually pick i.e. not Wagner.

Howsie

International Captain

I can't think of a more deserving bowler to replace Southee who we can actually pick i.e. not Wagner.
Arnel, Aldridge?

Not that I would select them because neither of the two are better bowlers then Tim Southee but neither is Matt Henry. He's put up good numbers to begin his first class career and looks a good prospect but that's all he is at this point, a prospect. He's still got a lot more developing to do before he plays international cricket IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Arnel, Aldridge?

Not that I would select them because neither of the two are better bowlers then Tim Southee but neither is Matt Henry. He's put up good numbers to begin his first class career and looks a good prospect but that's all he is at this point, a prospect. He's still got a lot more developing to do before he plays international cricket IMO.
Arnel and Aldridge aren't killing it atm. Not the best time, though I'd take either over Southee.

Ideally I'd keep Southee, but he's not taking wickets and he's not even scoring lower order runs. With him in the side we're effectively playing with ten men. Andy Ellis would have been more useful.

Southee getting smoked for two boundaries in a row then bowling a dot ball, picking the ball up and threatening to fire it at the batsman today sums him up. All show, no go.

Send him to County Cricket and give another good prospect who has wickets in the bank an opportunity imo.

Mike5181

International Captain

I'm a big fan of Henry but it's way way too early to consider him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Come on, neither Latham nor Henry should be anywhere near test selection. I hate this place when New Zealand are getting pummeled in a test match.
I agree - can't be promoting players for the test team on the back of a few outings this season.

I do note that Henry in more recent footage appears to have a better run up to earlier in the season. So he is developing. But too early -

I say stick with our current bowlers they are the most qualified in my opinion. Southee is too good for NZ domestic cricket and lights it up consistently there.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
^Needed that ton to help his FC average if nothing else. To bring his FC average up to 40 he is going to have to gun it next season.

Also in the ODI stuff didn't appear as strong as either Ryder or Flynn are outside of off stump - (wasn't as fluent there) so needs more development time in FC.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Really want to see Latham score a big maiden FC hundred this weekend against CD
Half of his homework done by 6pm Friday!. :thumbsup:

McClenaghan in the booth during the Auckland innings with A McLaughlin, mentioned to Iain O'Brien he had discussions last year with Robbie Kerr (Cricket Wgtn)! Seems L Burrt ended up the only highly speculative punt the Firebirds could afford to contract, then a coffee and motivating chat with Hopkins got him for the Aces.

Last edited: