• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BOUCHER: The last proper KEEPER-batsman?

SeamUp

International Coach
We are in an era now where batting has become almost more important than picking a gloveman that is the best in the country.

We've seen Knott, Marsh, Healy and Boucher prob fall in to the keeper-batsman category and not batsman-keeper that have been 'legends' in the game.

Wicket-keeping as an individual skill-set can be taken for granted in todays game I feel and should get more value and respect.

Always played well when the chips were down for South Africa. Prob our worst touring country since re-admission has been SRL and I always seem to remember either him or Jonty standing up to Murali in his pomp.

Bouch was a great competitior on the field but a great bloke to have a chat and 'possibly' a few drinks off the field with fellow cricket competitors.

One thing about him is that no matter how old or how experienced he became he always wanted to learn from others in order to improve his game. Would get in contact with his various mentors from Richard Pybus, Bob Woolmer (until unfortunate passing) or Ray Jennings. Would also contact Ian Healy at times as well.

Where does Bouch stand in the thoughts of cricket lovers? Another Legend of the test game about to leave us? Probably going to play his 150th and last test for South Africa against England at the home of cricket at Lord's.

Just as a South African, I hope to see him end his test career on a positive note in NZL and ENG. He has always been part of South African test and ODI unit which has been constantly in the top sides in the world for 15 years he played and ending up as number 1 test team at the end would be fitting.

Two good articles:

AND ITS GOODBYE FROM MARK

Mark Boucher: 'The way I started is the way I want to end' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

BOUCHER LIKELY TO RETIRE AFTER ENGLAND TOUR

Mark Boucher likely to retire after tour of England in July 2012 | South Africa Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
Yep Boucher will be missed.

Hope he goes out with a bang with a series victory in England - he deserves to go out on a high.

That Thami Tholokile is next in line

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I wouldn't call Healy a "great" of the game, and nor would I call Boucher one either. A really good keeper-batsman; a contribution similar to a Kirsten or Thorpe to SA cricket (from a playing perspective).

Would probably have him and Healy on level pegging - rate Boucher's batting a bit higher, and Healy's keeping above Boucher's, mainly due to him having been tested keeping to big turning spin over a long period.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I wouldn't call Healy a "great" of the game, and nor would I call Boucher one either. A really good keeper-batsman;
Agreed. A great servant to SA cricket over a hell of a long time but definitely not a great of the game. At his best, a hugely destructive batsman. Good luck to him.

JBMAC

State Captain
Boucher would have to rate in the top 10 KEEPER- batsman of all time. Unfortunately we have seen the last of the great "stumpers" should he retire. I have seen them all since WW2 and he would come in at probably #6. Those ahead of him would be(in order), Tallon, Grout,Engineer,Knott and Marsh.Those after him MacLean,Oldfield,Bari and Godfrey Evans

SeamUp

International Coach
South Africa have had 4 keepers in their history worth noting and I would probably rank Boucher along with Cameron as the KEEPER-batsman. Ray Jennings and Swinger Richardson were keeper-batsman and Jennings was extremely good in the mean-machine era for Transvaal though where he used to keep like a goalkeeper to the pace(mean-machine) at the VERY VERY quick and bouncy Wanderers.

The 3 older ones worth noting:

Jock Cameron: Jock Cameron | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

John Waite: John Waite | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Denis Lindsay: Denis Lindsay | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

@JBMAC: Ho would you have rated Waite and Lindsays keeping? Or didn't you see them keep?

Surprised Ian Healy didn't make your top 10. Farokh Engineer was definitely a keeper-batsman worth mentioning.

Godfrey Evans would have had to keep to Laker, Locke and Wardle and my old man does mention him highly ito keeping.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boucher would have to rate in the top 10 KEEPER- batsman of all time. Unfortunately we have seen the last of the great "stumpers" should he retire. I have seen them all since WW2 and he would come in at probably #6. Those ahead of him would be(in order), Tallon, Grout,Engineer,Knott and Marsh.Those after him MacLean,Oldfield,Bari and Godfrey Evans
Surprised to see Bert Oldfield at #8 JB, and indeed old Iron Gloves in the top 5 - how do you rate Jack Russell?

kyear2

International Coach
No Healy, Dujon or yes Gilchrist. I have seen Boucher and I would rank all three ahead of him not to mention Deryck Murry. Gilchrist gets a bum rap, but to keep to Warne all of those years could not heve been easy. Boucher was adequate at best to spin and good standing back. Sangakkara as well to be was on par as a keeper alone with Boucher.

Btw JB, Was speaking to an older gentleman the other day who had seen Walcott keep and he said that he was actually quite good to the spinners and better that reported standing Back and the only reason he gave up the gloves was because of his back, not performance. I know that by '51 he had given up the gloves, but did u get a chance to see him at all or what was the word on him as a keeper back then?

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Meh, the doubters can doubt but his record speaks for itself. Highest number of catches in history, a record that will not be matched for at least a decade or 2, if ever. Missed 3 tests in the last 13 years and that only because someone high up thought he had become a bit uppity. He's been unchallenged for almost all that time and has dominated to such an extent that most of his competition actually emigrated than even bother to stick around to try to dislodge him.

Maybe he didn't stump as much or as well, but he had nothing to work with in that regard. He's kept for some of the best quicks around and did almost everything asked of him. He may have overstayed his welcome by a year or so but I think after England SA will struggle for a bit. Thami's got some huge shoes to fill.