• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I haven't looked at the rules, just going by what they said on the radio, so I may be mistaken. As I understand it, handling the ball excludes if the batsman is trying to protect himself, and obstruction excludes a hand which is off the bat?
You're right about the hand off the bat thing. Which makes zero sense given the law goes on to say you can't pick up the ball and hand it back to the fielding team. Does that mean if you pick up the ball with the hand your bat is in, you're out whilst if you pick it up with your free hand, you're not out?!? :laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
You're right about the hand off the bat thing. Which makes zero sense given the law goes on to say you can't pick up the ball and hand it back to the fielding team. Does that mean if you pick up the ball with the hand your bat is in, you're out whilst if you pick it up with your free hand, you're not out?!? :laugh:
Would be an impressive effort to hold a cricket bat and a cricket ball in one hand.

biased indian

International Coach
Now the worst thing to happen is we will loose this game and all the talk will be about this decision and indian team will get away with another poor performance

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it's weird isn't it? I imagine it's excluded because that situation is meant to be covered by the handled ball rule; but that rule has an exclusion for protecting yourself. Obviously be easier if you didn't have to try and read a player's mind in making your decision, but that's the nature of the rule.

greg

International Debutant
The point is that a hand in contact with the bat is considered an extension of the bat.

Is it really true that obstruction excludes handling? If so i guess the correct decision was actually made. It doesn't matter if he would have been injured (as regards handling the ball) merely that the umpires think that protection is the motivation. The fact that he would almost certainly have made his ground probably allows the benefit of the doubt to go in his favour. Seems bizarre though. I find it difficult to believe the umpires wouldn't felt compelled to give him out if he had, say, caught it!

Spikey

This has been an amazingly low-quality match, it has to be said.
It was going along at a decent standard for me but MS having to bring on all the part timers has killed it a bit. I mean, I accept that the over-rate is horrible but now the match is horrible too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Hurricane: Then we need to have a bigger pool of elite umpires to lighten the load not all neutral umpires for every match. Perception of bias shouldn't matter.
Perception of bias is my politically correct way of saying I don't want home town calls. In the 1980s it seemed only the English umpires truly were able to umpire fairly. I think even Fred Goodall probably handed Hadlee a few extra wickets here and there (my vague memory only don't call me on this).

I just think these umpires are human beings and they do have biases. "Perception of bias" is the phrase I use on this message board for two reasons
1 people are unwilling to accept that an umpire can make home town calls if he is a professional so this phrase goes over easier
2) It does create uncomfortable suspicions after a bad decision is made so the perception is a concern/issue.

Spark

Global Moderator
It was going along at a decent standard for me but MS having to bring on all the part timers has killed it a bit. I mean, I accept that the over-rate is horrible but now the match is horrible too.
Even early, when India was bowling pies and averaging two misfields an over and we were donating wickets...

greg

International Debutant
Yeah it's weird isn't it? I imagine it's excluded because that situation is meant to be covered by the handled ball rule; but that rule has an exclusion for protecting yourself. Obviously be easier if you didn't have to try and read a player's mind in making your decision, but that's the nature of the rule.
Yep, it doesn't make sense that you are allowed to protect yourself with your hand (under the handling rule), but not with your bat (under the obstruction rule). I always assumed that the handling rule only applied immediately post delivery (when the batsman would normally always be expected to be in his ground) and wasn't applicable to run out situations etc (when obstruction would apply).

Burgey

Perception of bias is my politically correct way of saying I don't want home town calls. In the 1980s it seemed only the English umpires truly were able to umpire fairly. I think even Fred Goodall probably handed Hadlee a few extra wickets here and there (my vague memory only don't call me on this).

I just think these umpires are human beings and they do have biases. "Perception of bias" is the phrase I use on this message board for two reasons
1 people are unwilling to accept that an umpire can make home town calls if he is a professional so this phrase goes over easier
2) It does create uncomfortable suspicions after a bad decision is made so the perception is a concern/issue.
I think it's the right phrase to use wrt local umpires

Spikey

Even early, when India was bowling pies and averaging two misfields an over and we were donating wickets...
Well yeah it wasn't great. Probably below par. But it was tolerable enough. But argh. Thank god we had that run-out thing because the 10 overs after it was terrible.