• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodbye RT Ponting 'the ODI player' - you were a legend.

uvelocity

International Coach
Today's news made me realise something - I don't know jack about Ponting's early OD career. Don't know if he was a slow/quick starter, notable innings etc
Was one of the first to really take the next step in scoring quickly. Loved a goatie. Quick between the wickets and great in the field.

Ricky Ponting 102 vs West Indies WORLD CUP 1996 - YouTube
Ricky Ponting 84 vs New Zealand 1997/98 - YouTube

Could only be for ODI's tbh.
could be so he can say, "nah ****, I'll be back"

bagapath

International Captain
I never believed in bull**** sentimentality. all the crap about "they should ask "why now"and not "why not" or "leaving when you are still in demand" or in choosing the "right time to go" is all just **** talk as far as I am concerned. You live once; better do what you love doing as long as you can. When a kid picks up a cricket bat for the first time he wants to score as much as he can. he wants his team to win. he doesnt worry about his personal average dipping or lesser bowlers getting him out over time. that is how it should always be.

ricky ponting gave it all. and australia benefitted from it. he wont go to grave wondering whether he should have pushed himself harder. he played till he was drained of the last drop of sweat from his body and had to be dragged away from the field. so did border. and murali. and miandad. and viv richards. and sobers. it doesnt matter that the personal achievements of these champions varied in their last seasons. irrespective of stupid stats they were all equally respected, loved and feared till they walked back into the pavilion. and they all knew deep down that they could do nothing more in the game.

curtains on one of the greatest careers of all time. cricket fans all over the world are privileged to have seen punter in full form for many seasons. now, goodluck to him for life after cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It says in the article that either Ponting or Inverarity could make the call. But couldnt he have had a chat with Ponting (1-2 days before) informing about the selectors decision to drop him and that he had a couple of days to take a call (before this information went public).

I know I am speculating and that scenario might have been exactly what happened, but just feel that Ponting retiring on his own would have looked much better than the chief selector very publicly dropping him.
Nah, **** that ****. This is professional sport; we don't have to appease Pharaoh Ponting by gently suggesting to him that it's time for him to abdicate the throne; he made himself available and he wasn't chosen in the squad, much like Wes Robinson and Michael Hogan. He was a great one day player for Australia - one of the best ever - and if the selectors have decided that after 375 games, 13,000 runs and his 37th birthday that he's not part of the best side anymore, that doesn't take anything away from what he's done before. I wouldn't have dropped him personally but I like that it is a dropping and not a forced retirement because it shows the strength and professional attitude of the Australian system at the moment, as opposed to - well, your attitude.

Lets face it; if he'd "retired" today we'd all be speculating over whether he'd been pushed or not anyway, which is probably more offensive to the man than just accepting that he wanted so much to give everything he could to Australian cricket that he played on right up until the day he was no longer wanted.

WallSt

Cricket Spectator
Definitely one of the best to play the game, but he is well past his time and this doesn't come as a surprise, especially after the performance in this series.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been a class act, looks like he will jump from the test side too which is a shame, was hoping he'd still plod on till the ashes.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Nah, **** that ****. This is professional sport; we don't have to appease Pharaoh Ponting by gently suggesting to him that it's time for him to abdicate the throne; he made himself available and he wasn't chosen in the squad, much like Wes Robinson and Michael Hogan. He was a great one day player for Australia - one of the best ever - and if the selectors have decided that after 375 games, 13,000 runs and his 37th birthday that he's not part of the best side anymore, that doesn't take anything away from what he's done before. I wouldn't have dropped him personally but I like that it is a dropping and not a forced retirement because it shows the strength and professional attitude of the Australian system at the moment, as opposed to - well, your attitude.

Lets face it; if he'd "retired" today we'd all be speculating over whether he'd been pushed or not anyway, which is probably more offensive to the man than just accepting that he wanted so much to give everything he could to Australian cricket that he played on right up until the day he was no longer wanted.
If CA wanted to drop him they should have done the same thing in the last two years where his average was just 30, not when a drop from the team almost certainly meant curtains to his international career and the same could have been achieved by a gentle nudge asking him to move on.

After playing 375 games and scoring 13000 runs, Ponting certainly deserves to be treated better than someone who has hardly done anything of note in his career and is getting dropped because of an extended run of poor performance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If CA wanted to drop him they should have done the same thing in the last two years where his average was just 30
Well that's a different argument entirely.
After playing 375 games and scoring 13000 runs, Ponting certainly deserves to be treated better than someone who has hardly done anything of note in his career and is getting dropped because of an extended run of poor performance.
No he doesn't, frankly.

Spikey

Counter-point: After playing 375 games and scoring 13000 runs we deserve better than 18 runs in 5 games

Spikey

So that's it, after twenty years: "So long, good luck"?
I don't recall saying "good luck."

ganeshran

International Debutant
No he doesn't, frankly.
We can agree to disagree then, but IMO, the notion that every player is equal and deserves equal treatment is both incorrect and impractical.

Individuals are what make the game a joy to watch. Why would I want to watch a Raina getting bounced out or Haddin attempting an idiotic shot every time when you have players like Lara, SRT or Punter playing majestically?

Better players deserve better treatment than mediocre hacks.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We can agree to disagree then, but IMO, the notion that every player is equal and deserves equal treatment is both incorrect and impractical.

Individuals are what make the game a joy to watch. Why would I want to watch a Raina getting bounced out or Haddin attempting an idiotic shot every time when you have players like Lara, SRT or Punter playing majestically?

Better players deserve better treatment than mediocre hacks.
This is going to seem like a cheap shot, but I think this is part of the reason India aren't quite as good as they should be.