• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
edited for accuracy. sometimes done to correct a mistake, sometimes done as a joke. this was a joke. although if bailey was to actually play on sunday for say Warner......but he won't so

uvelocity

International Coach
ahh now I noticed the edit.

generally run with fify

ponting will stay in sydney and bailey will skipper in brizzy. warner to ton up.

TumTum

Banned
Didn't watch the game but that was disgraceful. Just turned on the TV to see Starc dish up a couple of pies and quickly switched off again.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't watch the game but that was disgraceful. Just turned on the TV to see Starc dish up a couple of pies and quickly switched off again.
Support your team even while they suck so you get to gloat if they get better. (see england for example)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Even though I've long maintained that Tharanga is pretty poor, he probably still is one of Sri Lanka's best six or so one day batsmen currently. As has been pointed out though, Jayawardene looks a thousand times better in limited overs cricket up the top of the order, so Tharanga doesn't fit the balance. With the next World Cup in Australia Tharanga becomes even less useful so I think it's a good idea to do away with him.

I reckon the top five should be locked in as:

1. Jayawardene
2. Dilshan
3. Sangakkara
4. Chandimal
5. Mathews

Mathews and Dilshan should be able to take care of the fifth bowling duties as well, so what Sri Lanka need to look at doing is finding two finishers for 6 and 7, or possibly a #5 with Mathews moving down to 6 (although I think that'd be a bit of a waste). Presently I think they select too many bowlers given the bowling ability of Mathews and Dilshan; that is unless of course they actually think Perera deserves selection on batting alone.

Thirimanne seems like he's going to be given a go in the middle order but I don't really rate his chances in one day cricket much; not yet anyway. I'd be looking elsewhere especially for the role that will be required.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Good post. Bhanuka Rajapakse would be the ideal candidate to step into that slot I reckon, but the trouble is that he seems to drift in and out of form quite a bit. He's one of those guys who has done exceptionally well in school level cricket (which is taken more seriously here than even club cricket probably) and has the ability to dominate and take attacks apart. He probably isn't ready for the national side yet although he would probably feature fairly regularly in the A team at this point.

For the moment they probably have to settle for Thirimanne at 5 and Mathews at 6. Who knows, Thirimanne may prove to be useful in this format even if his role is just to turn strike over and score at a run-a-ball rate.

I'm certainly liking the look of the side with Mahela opening though. A few more little changes like that and our balance will be fabulous imo.