• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Jacknife

International Captain
tbf to CWB304 he gave his opinion wayyyy back during/after the first test and with time his analysis has proven to be correct which is more than what we can say about a lot of the other fans on here. And it isn't that he made statements after the whitewash. I think it is time that some of the other posters look beyond his tone and evaluate his arguments on merit

Listen mate I'm all for differing opinion and discussion but this relentless KP and Bell bashing has been done to death imo, especially when calling for both their heads isn't based on any kind of succession plan or idea of who there is to take their places, like I said above. Most of the England fans and other forum members have given their opinion on the subject and we have gone round in circles.

Spark

Global Moderator
He does.

Cook, Strauss, Trott, Taylor, Hales, Prior, Patel/Bresnan, Broad, Strauss, Anderson, Panesar. Taylor/Hales seem slightly more solid technically than youth alternatives like Buttler & Bairstow. Fresher ergo likely to be less inhibited than say Hildreth, who's been bridesmaid for ever but seems to be going through a bit of a slump in form. Shame because I think he could definitely do a job, and is the kind of guy you feel who would not let anyone down in any situation no matter how tricky. He might not set the world alight, but I can't see Hildreth ever doing as badly as KP and Bell did against PAK. Tricky between Bresnan and Samit, tbd on pitch conditions and whether Bresnan proves good enough at playing spin to be 7 in the SC (which I doubt). Let KP and Bell go away and work hard to get their spots back. Playing for England is not a God-given right. Players with better records than theirs have been dropped after similarly shocking performances.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, it's the whole make KP and Bell earn their spot that gets me - they've more than earned their places with the last 12 months or so.

Jacknife

International Captain
I think it's pretty evident from what he's said he doesn't follow County Cricket and only pulled Hildreth's name out because it had been mentioned by other posters, like I said before he might have argument if there were middle order players in CC that have been banging down the door, knocking even.
I'd also love to know how many players who are averaging just shy of 50 for England and been dropped after one poor series.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
I think it's pretty evident from what he's said he doesn't follow County Cricket and only pulled Hildreth's name out because it had been mentioned by other posters, like I said before he might have argument if there were middle order players in CC that have been banging down the door, knocking even.
I'd also love to know how many players who are averaging just shy of 50 for England and been dropped after one poor series.
Evident to you maybe. I've known about Hildreth for years and always felt he was very unlucky not to have been picked two or three years ago. Pretty presumptuous of you to think that I come here to collect names to drop in selection debates, when the level of insight to be found in posts like yours is so poor.

A couple of questions: if I'm so ignorant, why was I the only one to predict KP and Bell's shockingly poor performance on this tour? Why was I the only England fan to acknowledge that Gul was a formidable opponent, and to predict that he would have success against the England top order? Surely much more knowledgeable persons like you should have seen those things coming?

Then again, it doesn't really matter what actually happens in the matches, does it? You've not only got your superior knowledge of County Cricket to fall back on, you also have "Ponting in India" up your sleeve as an ever ready standby to excuse the fact that two batters you consider world class and un-droppable batted like tail enders and looked utterly clueless for an entire three Test series. :laugh:

Hard luck.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Evident to you maybe. I've known about Hildreth for years and always felt he was very unlucky not to have been picked two or three years ago. Pretty presumptuous of you to think that I come here to collect names to drop in selection debates, when the level of insight to be found in posts like yours is so poor.
:laugh:

Jacknife

International Captain

A couple of questions: if I'm so ignorant, why was I the only one to predict KP and Bell's shockingly poor performance on this tour? Why was I the only England fan to acknowledge that Gul was a formidable opponent, and to predict that he would have success against the England top order? Surely much more knowledgeable persons like you should have seen those things coming?

Then again, it doesn't really matter what actually happens in the matches, does it? You've not only got your superior knowledge of County Cricket to fall back on, you also have "Ponting in India" up your sleeve as an ever ready standby to excuse the fact that two batters you consider world class and un-droppable batted like tail enders and looked utterly clueless for an entire three Test series. :laugh:

Hard luck.
You may have known about Hildreth for years but bringing him up as a replacement for Bell or whoever else, losses all credibility considering how poor he was this last year on the road that is Taunton, where he averaged 38, your right he was in their with a shout a few years ago but needs to get some runs behind him, he's even gone off the radar as far as the Lions.

My problem with you isn't about you predicting how well players did or didn't do, well done you , it's about dropping batsman after one poor series, add to that, if players are to be dropped we need players who are ready for international cricket waiting to step up, with form and runs behind them in County Cricket, not just picking someone for the sake of it. Just saying someone couldn't do any worse than what bell did is nonsense, it's got to be backed up by performance and reasoning.

The idea of dropping either seems knee jerk, especially Bell, since it's been his first poor test series since he got brought back into the side during the 2009 Ashes but obviously you'd argue differently.

I've asked you on a few occasions who are these players that would be replacing our entire middle order because that's what your suggesting . You've mentioned a opener in Hales, who's not very good against spin at County level and is only just staring to find his feet in first class cricket but will be one to watch maybe when Strauss retires. Hildreth who has already been mentioned above and Taylor who I've said on numerous occasions should have been picked before Morgan but even he at the moment hasn't scored any runs on tour with the Lions in the sub continent. Samit Patel who's a decent enough player at County level but a international no 5 or 6, no I don't think so. Are those four players the sum of it when it comes to replacements or have you any others?

Oh yes what's with the attempt to put words in my mouth, I have never said they are undroppable and I have zero idea what your talking about when you say "Ponting in India", you may want to try harder next time, stay classy.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I'll be gutted if he ends up missing out through injury, the four times he's played a game for England so far he's only managed one inning.
Its not a serious injury I guess as they still havent ruled out whether he plays. So at the max he might end up missing one match

ajdude

International Coach
imagine if england don't chase this somehow, "england lose after being set 97 by lions"

i mean they won't but still