• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
England squad:

ODI: Alastair Cook (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter (wk), Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott

T20: Stuart Broad (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Craig Kieswetter (wk), Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann

Pakistan squad:

ODI: Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Younis Khan, Shahid Afridi, Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Umar Akmal, Asad Shafiq, Adnan Akmal (wk), Junaid Khan, Umar Gul, Aizaz Cheema, Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Wahab Riaz, Hammad Azam, Azhar Ali

T20: Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Shahid Afridi, Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Umar Akmal, Asad Shafiq, Adnan Akmal (wk), Junaid Khan, Umar Gul, Aizaz Cheema, Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Wahab Riaz, Hammad Azam, Awais Zia

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Butler didn't look much good against the spinners either when he played against India IIRC. Especially, when the ball turned.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
ODI XI:
Hafeez
Azhar
Shafiq
Younis
Misbah (c)
U Akmal (wk)
Hammad
Afridi
Wahab
Gul
Ajmal

T20 XI:
Hafeez
Farhat
Awais Zia
Shafiq
U Akmal (wk)
Misbah (c)
Hammad
Afridi
Wahab
Gul
Ajmal

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England squad:

ODI: Alastair Cook (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter (wk), Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott

T20: Stuart Broad (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Craig Kieswetter (wk), Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann

Pakistan squad:

ODI: Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Younis Khan, Shahid Afridi, Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Umar Akmal, Asad Shafiq, Adnan Akmal (wk), Junaid Khan, Umar Gul, Aizaz Cheema, Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Wahab Riaz, Hammad Azam, Azhar Ali

T20: Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Shahid Afridi, Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Umar Akmal, Asad Shafiq, Adnan Akmal (wk), Junaid Khan, Umar Gul, Aizaz Cheema, Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Wahab Riaz, Hammad Azam, Awais Zia
Plus Malik for Pakistan in both squads.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes Buttler is an exceptionally exciting talent and I hope if he does a endure a troubled tour here he is not simply written off as another Englishman unable to counter the sub-continental conditions! He's very much a work in progress, I'm looking forward to seeing much more of him.
I can't see it personally, it's not what they do nowadays if a young player fails but even if he can be half as good as he has been against the SL spinners on the Lions tour, he will be off to a good start. One thing going in his favor is that he seems to be in a rich vein of form and full of confidence and he seems to be another one of the guys with ice cool nerves at the crease.

I'd personally go for this line up in the 50 over format.

1.Cook
2.KP
3.Trott
4.Morgan
5.Bairstow/Kieswetter
6.Buttler
7.Patel
8.Broad
9.Swann
10.Finn
11.Briggs

Undecided on moving Buttler up to 5 instead of 6, more time at the crease can only be a good thing and he smashed a freaky fast ton the other day further up the order, or do you just leave him doing the finishers job, which is what he is accustomed at Somerset.

Woodster

International Captain
I can't see it personally, it's not what they do nowadays if a young player fails but even if he can be half as good as he has been against the SL spinners on the Lions tour, he will be off to a good start. One thing going in his favor is that he seems to be in a rich vein of form and full of confidence and he seems to be another one of the guys with ice cool nerves at the crease.

1.Cook
2.KP
3.Trott
4.Morgan
5.Bairstow/Kieswetter
6.Buttler
7.Patel
8.Broad
9.Swann
10.Finn
11.Briggs

Undecided on moving Buttler up to 5 instead of 6, more time at the crease can only be a good thing and he smashed a freaky fast ton the other day further up the order, or do you just leave him doing the finishers job, which is what he is accustomed at Somerset.
I wasn't suggesting that the England selectors and management would write him off, was thinking more about the media and certain cricket fans!

I would leave Buttler at around six/seven for now, as you say, that is where he has generally played most of his cricket in the List A format for Somerset, so would want him to feel comfortable in his position while his international career is at the very start. c

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Should be noted Bell didn't actually play in the home series v Pakistan. & those who did hardly scored for fun either. Majority of our runs came from Trott, Prior & Broad.

Not knocking what our top order has achieved, but there's no doubt in my mind that the Pakistan attack in the UAE is a far stiffer proposition than the SL, Indian or Australian (as of 10/11) bowling line ups.

Anyway, very pleased to see young Jos in the ODI line up. Kid does look an exceptional talent, as a List A average of 70+ with an SR better than a run a ball atests.
I hope "young Jos" gets a go - he's certainly exciting. But this might not be a great squad to join at the moment - England have now lost 9 of their last 10 internationals in all formats (:-O). They're also likely to face a lot of spin.....

On the topic of Bell, he did miss the home series against Pakistan, but also starred in South Africa (after a lousy start there) & was pretty much the only one to stand up in Perth. He obviously has a problem picking one particular delivery, but so what? It's not as if he's going to spend much of the rest of his international career facing Ajmal.

Woodster

International Captain
I hope "young Jos" gets a go - he's certainly exciting. But this might not be a great squad to join at the moment - England have now lost 9 of their last 10 internationals in all formats (:-O). They're also likely to face a lot of spin.....

On the topic of Bell, he did miss the home series against Pakistan, but also starred in South Africa (after a lousy start there) & was pretty much the only one to stand up in Perth. He obviously has a problem picking one particular delivery, but so what? It's not as if he's going to spend much of the rest of his international career facing Ajmal.
I don't think Bell will be the last player to struggle to unravel the mysteries of Saeed Ajmal. When you are struggling to pick a particular delivery it also puts doubt into your whole game (when facing this bowler) and when facing the kind of deliveries you would normally negotiate with absolute confidence. You saw it with KP on the last day, if Ajmal didn't have the doosra, or if KP was picking it more often than not, then it's unlikely there would be such a gap between bat and pad on that delivery (despite his technical issues at times) which was effectively an orthodox off-spinner, if not orthodox in the style used to deliver the ball.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

1.Cook
2.KP
3.Trott
4.Morgan
5.Bairstow/Kieswetter
6.Buttler
7.Patel
8.Broad
9.Swann
10.Finn
11.Briggs

So England should Trott along and catch a Broad Finn Swann to take to the Cook quickly, so that the Butler can serve it fresh and hot decorated with Flowers.

Only if some Onions were around at the side or bottom of the refrigerator to add to the taste and ring some Bell 's. :p

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
How much is this a valid excuse when the batting was still so poor in the last Test? How many practice matches did you need to play?
It's hard to say isn't it, especially once your confidence has been shot to **** the way it was after the first game and like we all know when you get on top of a side, they find it very hard to come back.
I said when they revealed they were having 4/5 months off, it was a poor decision and obviously in hindsight it still looks it. I haven't got a clue what difference another couple of warm up games would have done but surely it wouldn't have harmed and going how they even batted in those warm up games, against a lot inferior opposition alarm bells will have started ringing.

At the end of the day you can take losing a series but to lose in such a manner where the batsmen are playing such poor quality cricket, it just smacks of poor preparation as well as other things.

Jacknife

International Captain
So England should Trott along and catch a Broad Finn Swann and take it to the Cook quickly, so that the Butler can serve it fresh and hot decorated with Flowers.

Only if some Onions were around at the side or bottom of the refrigerator to add to the taste and ring some Bell 's. :p
:clapping:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Gul's new delivery, the "long hop" I think he's called it, seemed to discomfort Bell in the second innings as well.

Woodster

International Captain
Gul's new delivery, the "long hop" I think he's called it, seemed to discomfort Bell in the second innings as well.
I think that was just the result of a man that has endured a wretched tour (with a couple of unfortunate dismissals it must be said) and has no idea where his runs are going to come from. The battering he has taken from Ajmal has left his confidence pretty shattered, a dismissal such as this comes as no surprise. It was a truly awful shot though after all said and done.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
I think that was just the result of a man that has endured a wretched tour (with a couple of unfortunate dismissals it must be said) and has no idea where his runs are going to come from. The battering he has taken from Ajmal has left his confidence pretty shattered, a dismissal such as this comes as no surprise. It was a truly awful shot though after all said and done.
The gigantic freight train of excuses would appear to be gaining momentum......

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
So Peter's and Ander's sons should Trott along and catch a Broad Finn Swann and take it to the Cook quickly, so that the Butler can serve it fresh and hot decorated with Flowers.

Fixed

:laugh: