• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq's comments to the media after his team completed a whitewash over England in the Test series:

"I can't describe in words how important this series was for us. Winning 3-0 is really a wonderful achievement for this team"

"I'm really pleased with the way the team has performed. It's the first whitewash that we have completed in a long, long time. Credit goes to the team - it's really a wonderful achievement for us."

"When I use the word team, it means everybody in the team - all 25 people. Everybody is important - the selection committee, the cricket board - they all have a contribution somewhere in the team."

"We were expecting England to have problems here because of the slowness of the wickets here."

"Our bowlers bowled really well on these wickets. We were not expecting these sort of results, but our spinners and our bowlers were outstanding and they just outclassed their [England's] batting lineup!"

"It was a big ask for our team. We just came out from such big problems - and the way the team has emerged out of it and the way it is progressing, I think it's wonderful."

"Everybody had been just ignoring Pakistan cricket and Pakistan team and a lot of things were being said about the team. It just shows that we are a powerhouse in the cricketing world. Now it's time to give importance to Pakistan cricket team again."

"Playing away from home is another challenge and this team loves challenges. We do have this in our minds and we are focussed to prove ourselves outside Pakistan. I think this team already has - if you see our performances in New Zealand, those conditions are not easy for us but this team performed really well - in the West Indies and in New Zealand as well. We're looking forward to going to South Africa and Australia - we just want to do well. These players really love challenges. We aim to do well everywhere."

"A lot of youngsters are coming in are really improving their game. Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq are doing really well. Mohammad Hafeez is doing well. Bowlers are doing really well - we have good fast bowlers and good spinners."

"It's all about your mindset. You have to adjust your mindset accordingly. If you go to England or Australia, you just have to be ready for what you're going to face there. If you're good enough players, you can perform everywhere."

"If you get the other team out with a lead less than 100, you are still very much in the game because the team batting fourth are always going to face problems here due to the slowness of the wicket - it starts to turn more. So that was our aim - to just restrict the first innings lead. I think the bowlers did a wonderful job to get them [England] out for 141. After that, Younis Khan and Azhar Ali gave a wonderful performance with the bat. Those two innings played the main role in getting us back in the game."

"The most important thing in any sport or any field of life is that once you have achieved success and victory, that's it - it's gone in the past. If you keep resting on your laurels, you cannot improve.

"So this is a message for the team and for everyone else that this [Test] series has ended, and now we have have to think about the future - the upcoming one day series and the T20s. If we keep thinking about our victory [in the Test series], we wouldn't be able to continue our good performances. I think this is the only way to improve your performances as an individual and as a team. Win a series or a match, then forget it and focus on the next series. What you have achieved is your past - your future and your present is more important."

"Our aim was to play good cricket and try and beat the top team in the world. We were all mentally prepared. We all believed we could do it. We were not expecting the result to be 3-0 though. But we believed we could win the series."

"One Day is a different ball game. No doubt England are a very good team in one days too - and they will try to come back strongly, especially after this [Test] series. We'll need to be fully prepared for that and we'll have to play even better cricket if we want to win the one day series."

"As far as the DRS is concerned, it's a great help for the players and the teams. But I think they need to work more on its accuracy. The more accurate it is, the better. Need to improve it a bit."

"There are quite a few things in life that seem to be very difficult until you achieve them. When you achieve them once or twice, it boosts your self-confidence. The kind of match that we won in Abu Dhabi - we were not expecting such a turnaround. After that match, I don't think the team will ever think that we can't win. We have the belief that someone or the other will perform."

"The youngsters have a huge contribution in our team's recent performances, especially Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq. It's there for everyone to see the kind of innings they played in crunch situations, particularly their partnership in Abu Dhabi. It brought us back in the game. And then in this match, we could have been all out for 45 had Asad Shafiq not scored 45 in that situation! It was a tough time and he drove the team to 99 - it was an extremely good innings. Later in the second innings, Azhar Ali again played a match-winning innings. So I think this is how stars are made. This is how players are made whom the team can rely on."

"It's message for all that we are back in cricket. Our performances should be recognised by the world."

"It seems all too easy from the outside. We have been playing here and we are well-aware of the type of wickets here. We know how difficult it is to manage your strike rates and to score runs here, and how you have to build your innings. World class batsmen have played here, but if you see the strike rate - it has remained 2 or less than 2. People used to criticise us when we played at a strike rate of 2.5. You can't get the right idea about these things from the outside. It's when you play, you get the idea. I think England must have realised this now. You can't play like that here. The pitches are quite different here - and credit goes to Pakistan that they did well here despite all that."

"The ICC and all the playing nations should think over it and try to revive international cricket in Pakistan. For how long can the Pakistani cricketers play like this? We go home for 4 days and then we go outside to play our home series! I think it's been a year since I last spent a full month at home. I think it's really difficult for the cricketers and also for the people in Pakistan - they miss international cricket there. Just look at the enormity of the crowd in the [domestic] T20 matches there."

"I think it's a serious matter. The government and the ICC should take it seriously and think over it."

wub Misbah.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Also slightly disappointed at lack of Azhar Ali love shown here he was comfortably the best batsman in a series where there were atleast 7-8 world class batsman atleast statistically and both his big knocks came in a clutch situation. He may not be pretty to watch but is a very good old fashioned test match batsman.
I like how he grinds out his innings but we also have to realize that his extent of stonewalling can only succeed when the opposition isn't too adept at applying true claustrophobic pressure. For all the noise about English bowling, and they've been fairly disciplined in all honesty, it does say something about their much wonted incisiveness when they've let a team of strokeless wonders like Pak (bar Younis) cross even 300 on two occasions this series.

smash84

The Tiger King
I like how he grinds out his innings but we also have to realize that his extent of stonewalling can only succeed when the opposition isn't too adept at applying true claustrophobic pressure. For all the noise about English bowling, and they've been fairly disciplined in all honesty, it does say something about their much wonted incisiveness when they've let a team of strokeless wonders like Pak (bar Younis) cross even 300 on two occasions this series.
One of the most ridiculous statements I have seen. What are you on?

These wickets are not easy for pace bowlers to bowl on.

SA came here last year and Steyn average 40+ with a ridiculous SR IIRC

Xuhaib

International Coach
Arachnodouche;2784955[B said:
]I like how he grinds out his innings but we also have to realize that his extent of stonewalling can only succeed when the opposition isn't too adept at applying true claustrophobic pressure.[/B] For all the noise about English bowling, and they've been fairly disciplined in all honesty, it does say something about their much wonted incisiveness when they've let a team of strokeless wonders like Pak (bar Younis) cross even 300 on two occasions this series.
strange you say that when the current English bowling is the best among all test playing nations to adopt that strategy and jeez learn to give credit rather then labeling all the Pakistan success as an English failure.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
On a positive note, Flower has just taken some of the blame for the players being underdone for this series and will be looking to learn lessons for the India series.

Wouldn't suprise me if England land in India while the Champions League is going on and play a solid month of cricket in India before the series starts in November.
How much is this a valid excuse when the batting was still so poor in the last Test? How many practice matches did you need to play?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think people who are talking about England being unlucky for not winning 2-1 are seriously understating this Pakistani side ability to come back from difficult situations. Some of the good Pakistani sides had this ability however for the past 4-5 years we seemed to have lost this trait infact we were constantly allowing the opposition to come back in the game.

Also slightly disappointed at lack of Azhar Ali love shown here he was comfortably the best batsman in a series where there were atleast 7-8 world class batsman atleast statistically and both his big knocks came in a clutch situation. He may not be pretty to watch but is a very good old fashioned test match batsman.
Nobody said England were unlucky for not winning 2-1. It was simply that England with merely below par batting would have won 2-1, instead the batting was absolutely atrocious. England may well bat badly in a series again but I doubt they'll be anywhere near as bad as they were this series. I think that the demise of England has been greatly exaggerated. I would still back England to beat any team at home and be about the same level of the opposition or better when they tour.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm honestly struggling to remember a worse collective batting performance from a good side in a 3+ match series.

Ever.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Totally agree and to hear posters say that he was doing it because he so leg side orientated and it was completely planned is completely missing the point of why he does it and which is like you've explained and KP himself has on numerous occasions.
So it worked against Ishant Sharma slanting the ball into the stumps, and disrupted Praveen's length and ensured that he'd struggle to pitch the ball full enough to be hitting the stumps. Doesn't change the fact that spending so long batting in an unnatural manner can cause other problems.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Scaly,

maybe England were atrocious due to the quality of bowling they faced sometimes you can play aswell as the opposition lets you play. Surely if a top 7 that was regularly scoring 500's struggle to reach even 200's it does mean there is a step up in the quality of opposition not all top 7can loose form at the same time.

grecian

Scaly,

maybe England were atrocious due to the quality of bowling they faced sometimes you can play aswell as the opposition lets you play. Surely if a top 7 that was regularly scoring 500's struggle to reach even 200's it does mean there is a step up in the quality of opposition not all top 7can loose form at the same time.
There's no doubt Pakistan bowled very well, but the way we batted was unforgivable, particularly against the spinners. We didn't ever try to disrupt what they were doing, went so far into our shells, that even when bad balls came along we just patted them back. It was poor.

Anyway, hope Buttler get's a few games in this series. Still think our natural conservatism will mean he won't start the series and we'll have Bopara and Patel in, and Briggs will also not get a game.

Still rejoice that Bell is gone.

Jarquis

ODIs: Alastair Cook (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter (wk), Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott

Twenty20s: Stuart Broad (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Craig Kieswetter (wk), Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann

4 ODIs and 3 T20s.

ODIs
Cook
Pietersen
Trott
Morgan
Kieswetter
Buttler
Patel
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson/Finn

Leaves Bairstow, Briggs, Bopara, Dernbach and Finn as reserves. Wouldn't mind seeing that, wouldn't mind if Finn played ahead of Anderson. Don't think we'll drop both Bopara and Bairstow so chances are one of them will play ahead of Buttler. The other changes from our last ODI being KP in for Bell and Morgan for whoever Bopara/Bairstow. Broad in for Meaker is a massive boost too.

T20s

Hales
Kieswetter
Pietersen
Morgan
Bairstow
Buttler
Patel
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Finn/Dernbach

Could make an argument for bringing Bopara in for Hales and moving everybody up one I suppose.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
By the way, think Broad's shot was rather ridiculous, with mid-off pretty deep and the new ball just into the attack. The harder ball should come off better anyway without having to go large over long-off.

Jarquis

Broad's an awful limited overs batsman. And the only way they're batting higher is if you think both Anderson and Finn are better bowlers than Bresnan or you drop a batsman for one of them which gives us a tail like a rat.

Scaly piscine

T20s

Hales
Kieswetter
Pietersen
Morgan
Bairstow
Buttler
Patel
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Finn/Dernbach

Could make an argument for bringing Bopara in for Hales and moving everybody up one I suppose.
No. No you couldn't. Bopara has a poor domestic T20 record and a truly awful T20I record. He has an international strike rate of 94.50 FFS, it would make Geoffrey Boycott embarrassed. Do not deprive current or future England players of a place to accommodate someone as bad as that. We are the World Champions not bloody Zimbabwe.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Broad's an awful limited overs batsman. And the only way they're batting higher is if you think both Anderson and Finn are better bowlers than Bresnan or you drop a batsman for one of them which gives us a tail like a rat.
Yeah, was thinking of Patel out for Briggs, and then you have Bresnan at 7. Probably right, especially with how the batting went in the Indian OD games. And that's the tactic they've taken (7 batsmen) and tends to be the better option in the subcontinent.