• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I did watch a lot of this series, mainly because of how much **** our team was over in Australia, so I know it does not apply to me. But should it have to apply to me for me to call it a personal insult?
It has to apply to someone for it to be a personal insult.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I did watch a lot of this series, mainly because of how much **** our team was over in Australia, so I know it does not apply to me. But should it have to apply to me for me to call it a personal insult?
Report my post and let the mods deal with it. Hell, I've alerted one of them to it myself in the interest of fairness. But I did not attack anyone personally.

OhhhhMattyMatty

Cricket Spectator
Pakistan were clear and deserved winners, but England will look back at two 70 run defeats and think, if 1 of the top 6 performed in this series, we'd have won 2-1.

The likes of Samit Patel, Ravi Bopara, James Taylor and Jonny Bairstow will all come into consideration for places in the squad to Sri Lanka. Patel, given how well he played the spinners in India is an absolute must and would come in at 6 or 7 for me, while Taylor has struggled in the subcontinent this Winter and may well lose out to Ravi Bopara.

Morgan should be gone for a while in the longer format. While Pietersen is in the last chance saloon for me. Bell needs to show something in the subcontinent, as he's obviously world class everywhere else, but we can't carry him again like we did in Pakistan. Strauss needs to show he can score tons again too!

Ajmal's displays were stunning and he is clearly the world's best spinner. Made Swann look utterly ordinary by comparison and Swann had a fairly decent series, given the lack of lefties on show.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the one I'm looking forward to. The fast track bullies will be owned by the Flat track bullies.

Ahmedabad, Delhi,Chennai and Kolkata should be enough.
Why do they keep playing at Ahemdabad? It's a complete and utter road. Hoping Delhi offers turn like it did against WI recently. Chennai is a toss up, we'll either get a road (SA 08) or we'll get a proper cricket wicket like we did against Eng in 08. Hoping it's the latter. Kolkata is a pretty flat deck too, Hopefully the trend of opposing teams having 1 freak session where they collapse like a house of cards continues. Otherwise it could be another draw.

gvenkat

State Captain
Why do they keep playing at Ahemdabad? It's a complete and utter road. Hoping Delhi offers turn like it did against WI recently. Chennai is a toss up, we'll either get a road (SA 08) or we'll get a proper cricket wicket like we did against Eng in 08. Hoping it's the latter. Kolkata is a pretty flat deck too, Hopefully the trend of opposing teams having 1 freak session where they collapse like a house of cards continues. Otherwise it could be another draw.
Nah. Not after two disasters. They will want to make sure they will get a result.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. Not after two disasters. They will want to make sure they will get a result.
How exactly do they "make sure" they'll get a result? And if they can actually do that then why didn't they do it in the first place <_<

"yeah we'll prepare roads even though we can produce a result oriented pitch until ppl start complaining". Nice way of looking at it :dry:

gvenkat

State Captain
How exactly do they "make sure" they'll get a result? And if they can actually do that then why didn't they do it in the first place <_<

"yeah we'll prepare roads even though we can produce a result oriented pitch until ppl start complaining". Nice way of looking at it :dry:
Make a pitch that turns a little bit towards the end of day 2 and we will surely have a result.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
This is the one I'm looking forward to. The fast track bullies will be owned by the Flat track bullies.

Ahmedabad, Delhi,Chennai and Kolkata should be enough.
7 ODI's!!!! That's a bit too much isn't it.

One big advantage for England is no DRS, therefore no marginal LBW's like they had against our bowlers and the batsman will probably get the benefit of the doubt. If I were the Indian management I would try and get DRS or otherwise try not to have Taufel as Umpire.

Pakistan were clear and deserved winners, but England will look back at two 70 run defeats and think, if 1 of the top 6 performed in this series, we'd have won 2-1.

The likes of Samit Patel, Ravi Bopara, James Taylor and Jonny Bairstow will all come into consideration for places in the squad to Sri Lanka. Patel, given how well he played the spinners in India is an absolute must and would come in at 6 or 7 for me, while Taylor has struggled in the subcontinent this Winter and may well lose out to Ravi Bopara.

Morgan should be gone for a while in the longer format. While Pietersen is in the last chance saloon for me. Bell needs to show something in the subcontinent, as he's obviously world class everywhere else, but we can't carry him again like we did in Pakistan. Strauss needs to show he can score tons again too!

Ajmal's displays were stunning and he is clearly the world's best spinner. Made Swann look utterly ordinary by comparison and Swann had a fairly decent series, given the lack of lefties on show.
But Swann is better outside the ME/SC. And he will show his class soon.

Last edited:

gvenkat

State Captain
7 ODI's!!!! That's a bit too much isn't it.

One big advantage for England is no DRS, therefore no marginal LBW's like they had against our bowlers and the batsman will probably get the benefit of the doubt. If I were the Indian management I would try and get DRS or otherwise try not to have Taufel as Umpire.

But Swann is better outside the ME/SC. And he will show his class soon.
7 games are too much mate. But BCCI will want the money.

Woodster

International Captain
Firstly congratulations to Pakistan, they continue to go from strength to strength, to beat the number one Test side in the world 3-0 is quite an achievement. Over the course of the series the severe stronghold Ajmal and Rehman held over our batsmen decided the outcome, they deceived England with their lengths, the mystery that Ajmal holds, and the constant unerring accuracy of the pair meant none of our top seven found any real true form.

I have looked through some posts in this thread and am still working out exactly where I stand on some of the points discussed. It's obviously an understatement to say our batsmen under-performed but are wholesale changes the answer ? I'm currently siding with no they aren't but then shouldn't there be repercussions for such an inept collective batting unit ?

I'm convinced Ian Bell is a good enough player at this level, he isn't the soft touch people once thought he was where he only flourished when the going was good. He has proved on enough occasions that he can score runs when we need him to, but I also don't think we can put this down to just one of those series. He, along with KP, has a lot of work to do on his game in the SC, but he can still be a pivotal player in the summer ahead and deserves another crack on the SC in Sri Lanka.

It's easy to suit one's own argument to say the runs he has scored in the last 12/18 months have all been against bad bowling, I don't buy that, nor do I buy the fact he cannot succeed against the best.

Eoin Morgan is going to be the man that comes under the more intense scrutiny. Bell and KP have proved they can conquer most situations at this level, Morgan has much to prove and may be the scapegoat from this series when it is indeed the more experienced that should have taken the lead.

Can we afford to set-up with the same batting line-up in SL ? Unfortunately this series, for me, has provided many more questions than answers, I just hope we have found the answers before the end of the Indian series.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Every post which goes basically: "If our batsman were not careless/did not bat like idiots/did their job, we'd have won." should be modified to "If our batting lineup was better, we'd be a significantly better team".

That applies to every XI in the history of cricket though.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Always a pleasure to read your analysis Woodster. Would you consider voicing your pinions in the round table debate being hosted by SS? Would be great if you do.