• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As bad as England's batting was, I still think writing them off for their next 2 away series would be premature. I don't think England will come up against spin bowling of such quality against Sri Lanka or India.
Yeah I don't have problems with that, it's the logic of the post I don't get.

He's essentially just said don't write England off because they played worse than below par..found that odd.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Going to dinner this week at a mate's place with the hierarchy of a team that will not be interested in talking cricket

Should be great fun for an Australian in the UAE :gora:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Far more than Morgan.
So how many of the English fans are in favour of bringing in James Taylor in Morgan's place? Seems like the next logical thing to do if Morgan continues to fail. Or is he considered too young to play for the test team atm?

hazsa19

International Regular
So how many of the English fans are in favour of bringing in James Taylor in Morgan's place? Seems like the next logical thing to do if Morgan continues to fail. Or is he considered too young to play for the test team atm?
I would actually give Morgan the Sri Lanka series. That would have given him a calendar year to impress.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I don't have problems with that, it's the logic of the post I don't get.

He's essentially just said don't write England off because they played worse than below par..found that odd.
The difference is that when India got whitewashed they were massively outplayed in all 4 Tests. To turn that series around would have required an enormous improvement in all departments.

Whilst England got whitewashed, we weren't a million miles away from winning the series 2-1. Had England managed to score 145 runs in the 4th innings in Abu Dhabi, or score 250 in the 1st innings in the 3rd Test, then the series would have been won 2-1 - which shouldn't be an enormous ask for a Test side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its like that series we had in NZ when both teams sucked against good seam bowling but we were just a million levels below the level that NZ sucked at..

I just can't believe that people are writing off a 3-0 whitewash as " oh it could have been 2-1 easily".. yeah, I can add that if India had a fit Zak and could bat properly, we would have at least drawn or even won the Lords test and so on.. England never looked like chasing down that 140, from the time they started their innings. If that is not cause for concern, I don't know what is.

Good thing is, the impression you get about Andy Flower and his staff, they will be a LOT more seriious and stern in their assessment of this performance than some of the fans, who, it just looks like, are having a hard time believing their team could be thrashed the way they were.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I just can't believe that people are writing off a 3-0 whitewash as " oh it could have been 2-1 easily".. yeah, I can add that if India had a fit Zak and could bat properly, we would have at least drawn or even won the Lords test and so on
No you couldn't. Pakistan outclassed us in this series, however there was a pretty small margain between the 3-0 defeat Pakistan handed out, and a 2-1 win for England. There was an enormous difference between England and India last summer.

hazsa19

International Regular
Its like that series we had in NZ when both teams sucked against good seam bowling but we were just a million levels below the level that NZ sucked at..

I just can't believe that people are writing off a 3-0 whitewash as " oh it could have been 2-1 easily".. yeah, I can add that if India had a fit Zak and could bat properly, we would have at least drawn or even won the Lords test and so on.. England never looked like chasing down that 140, from the time they started their innings. If that is not cause for concern, I don't know what is.

Good thing is, the impression you get about Andy Flower and his staff, they will be a LOT more seriious and stern in their assessment of this performance than some of the fans, who, it just looks like, are having a hard time believing their team could be thrashed the way they were.
I don't think any England fans are in any doubt as to how bad our batting performances were.

All some are doing is stating what's absolutely true, ie, it's not like it's an absolute disaster. We showed that we have a superb bowling outfit capable of bowling anyone out anywhere. I have no doubt that we'll continue to steam-roller sides at home and abroad outside the sub.c.

We have a real problem against quality spin on the sub.c and no-one's trying to get away from that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, I don't see it as a great bowling side. I just don't think Pakistan are that good a batting side even in these conditions.. But perceptions and all that..

I just don't think it was such a close series at all. I mean, that 140 target apart, I don't think England even looked like they were competing Even when Pak were 99 all out, I didn't expect England to get a bigger lead than 70 or 80.. That is telling something, I would think.

smash84

The Tiger King
England would have won 2-1 with merely below par batting, before certain individuals go over the top with their praise of Pakistan or writing England off. It's so irritating in particular to throw it away against a team with Pakistan's recent history.

At least given the scoreline there should be no more fannying about. I hope the England team remember this for a long time to come and absolutely annihilate Pakistan when they next play in 2015 and 2016. **** gripping contests, I want innings and 500 runs victories.
lol

WOW. No wonder you are so disliked on these boards.
This

You were a million miles away from playing spin decently. No two ways about it.
Yeah. Despite the fact that Pakistan were a thousand miles away from playing it decently as well (which you can say is a function of Pakistan's ****e batting of the last half decade). Also the fact that we won at least one match in England.....woohoo :)

gvenkat

State Captain
well, I don't see it as a great bowling side. I just don't think Pakistan are that good a batting side even in these conditions.. But perceptions and all that..

I just don't think it was such a close series at all. I mean, that 140 target apart, I don't think England even looked like they were competing Even when Pak were 99 all out, I didn't expect England to get a bigger lead than 70 or 80.. That is telling something, I would think.
Wait till they go to Sri Lanka. New excuses will start pouring in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I think (or at least hope) the point of such posts isn't to say the performance was in some way acceptable or "not that bad" - but that, as opposed to say India after the England and Australia tours - it was a case of one aspect failing to absolutely ridiculous extremes and everything else being fine to good. It doesn't make the performance more acceptable or the tour more successful, but what it does do is make it easier to fix - England as a whole need to work on their batting against spin. It was terrible beyond comprehension which made the tour a complete and utter failure but it wasn't a case of England's cricket overall being substandard or them being outplayed in every department; it's one thing to target and that makes improvement in the short-term more realistic.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No you couldn't. Pakistan outclassed us in this series, however there was a pretty small margain between the 3-0 defeat Pakistan handed out, and a 2-1 win for England. There was an enormous difference between England and India last summer.
Define pretty small. Being unable to even make it to 100 in the 4th inning, being unable to capitalize on bowling out a team for 99 are for me, unmistakeable signs of weakness. As I said in the previous post, Pakistan are still not a very good batting line up, even in these conditions and the fact that you could not capitalize on that shows how big the margin is between the two sides. You can play 3 more tests and unless your batsmen magically improve in terms of facing upto spin, I don't see your lot doing any better at all.

And in conditions where bowlers hold sway most of the time, as compared to conditions which help bowlers for a while but settle down later on,the margins of defeat always look smaller. Doesn't mean one time was not outplayed at all.. That NZ tour in 2002-2003 for India was pretty much the same. It would have stupid of us to have been crowing around about how easily it could have been 1-1 back then... And I am pretty sure if the tables were turned and we said the same thing after being down 3-0, you guys will be falling over yourselves with useless snide one-liners that only you find funny..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wait till they go to Sri Lanka. New excuses will start pouring in.
Sorry, what excuses have been offered? Our batting was dreadful and Pakistan's bowling was excellent. I don't think you'll find anyone who hasn't acknowledged that.