• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

hazsa19

International Regular
How does "sometimes you just get a hunch" pulled at random from a long post turn into my advocating "selection by hunch"? Are you claiming that no selector in history has ever gone on a hunch, when for instance trying to choose between two players with similar records? Or is your argument that any use of hunch (perhaps I should have used a more respectable word like "intuition", or mentioned "intangibles") is wrong? I'm genuinely confused. I am not in any way advocating changing the very well structured system which has indeed served England well in recent years. What I am saying is that we've made the investment, let's for goodness' sake use it and clear out this dead wood that is currently making English batting a global laughing stock.
:unsure: Is someone in the world actually typing these words?

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Oh good, we're resorting to insults now.

Onto the ignore list you go.
Gee, I'll be missing you. A word of advice: if you don't like people questioning your intelligence, try responding to their posts with replies that firstly, are not complete non sequiturs. Secondly, make at least a bit of sense. And thirdly, at least betray some basic comprehension of what has been written, and attempt to address that. Cheers,

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've got a feeling (hunch?) that england's tail might wag hard here, and get them a lead of 100 plus. A few swipes from a decent lower order anchored by Strauss would see them do it pretty sharply too.

hazsa19

International Regular
I was not comparing Vaughan to KP or Bell. That ought to be crystal clear to anyone who is not a mental defective. The point I was making, in case you're stupid enough to need this to to be explained to you, was not that Vaughan was as good as, or better than, Bell or KP, but that his initial performances in Tests were better than what his county performances would have suggested he was capable of. He averaged in the mid-thirties in FCC when he was first picked, and even with the sad tailing off of his Test career towards the end he comfortably averaged in the 40s in Tests. That is a successful selection, by comparison with the likes of Hick and Ramprakash.

If you go back to my post you can quite easily see that the reference to Vaughan (and Gower) was in the context only of how someone who might not have a spectacular county average might turn out to be good enough to play Tests. Seeing as you so willfully chose to pervert my meaning in the case of Vaughan (an easy target whom you presumably thought you could throw in my face with a "ha ha, Bell and KP are better than him!", I wonder why you did not also do the same for Gower?
There's only one guy on this thread who isn't 'mentally defective' then eh?

hazsa19

International Regular
I've got a feeling (hunch?) that england's tail might wag hard here, and get them a lead of 100 plus. A few swipes from a decent lower order anchored by Strauss would see them do it pretty sharply too.
England 120ao, Strauss the first to go on 42.

EDIT, only just picked up on the 'hunch'. Thought it warranted a lol

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket's the better for it, I'd say. Stuff this "ooh, the no.1 side isn't as good as the greatest sides ever, woe is me" nonsense. Your top teams are like your main characters in a book, they should be flawed.
For sure although there has been a few too many uneven games, although I wasn't complaining during the ashes or India v England.

The best games were the two Aus v SA and the New Zealand win, brilliant and absurd in equal measure.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Alright folks, no more personal insults please. If the other person is getting to you that much, then just stop responding to them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm more intrigued by the comments on the effect of the DRS tbh.
I think the issue is getting overblown.

Whilst I reckon the implementation of DRS will help spinners win more lbw decisions, blaming the likes of Matt Prior's dismissal on DRS is nonsense.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Its strange but I was thinking along those lines myself this morning on the train.

Anderson- Gillespie in that he gets the most movement
Broad- Tends to get it to do just enough and keep it consistent.

Not saying either of them are as good as the gruesome twosome but they fill similar roles.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the issue is getting overblown.

Whilst I reckon the implementation of DRS will help spinners win more lbw decisions, blaming the likes of Matt Prior's dismissal on DRS is nonsense.
I think what's overblown is the players' reacting in fear of getting hit on the pads. But I agree it has a lot to do with the conditions in this series.