• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
I won't stoop to your level by calling you names: your post speaks for itself. Since you've just demonstrated that you don't understand the use of the conditional in what I sincerely hope is not your mother tongue, let me break down what I wrote for you, highlighting (and explaining the significance of) key words:

I wrote:

I've asked this question before: if, as I've predicted, Bell averages less than 20 in this series, what would be the attitude of his many defenders on this forum? That that level of performance is an aberration? That would be a very unintelligent, nay, delusional way of interpreting the data, given what has gone before.

In the above extract I reiterate my prediction that Bell will average less than 20. Everything that follows is CONDITIONAL upon that. I have acknowledged that it hasn't happened yet by using "if" after the colon, and then made use of the conditional in asking "what would be the attitude" of Bell's many defenders should my prediction come to pass. Then finally there is an implied "if" (if his defenders were to respond that averaging less than 20 in this series was just a blip) before I allow myself another conditional "that would be very unintelligent, nay delusional".

I can't believe you're sincerely raging along the lines of "how about we wait to see whether it happens, Nostradamus", when I couldn't have made it clearer that I was dealing in hypotheticals by my use of "if", "would" and other conditional constructions. Perhaps you're not just thick, and would react just as furiously upon receiving the following advice from your wife or mother, "you ought to take your umbrella darling; if you were to get caught in the rain, you would get very wet and might catch pneumonia":

"Well Nostradamus, how about we wait to see IF it rains, BEFORE accusing me of being the sort of person who could EVER catch pneumonia." :laugh:

As for your other question, if Bell does average 40+, or even 30+, I will come here and humbly admit to having been wrong about him. I have no problems whatsoever admitting when I'm wrong. What I will not do is react with "a massive shrug of the shoulders". And go on to claim that "people read far too much into individual series averages; a series average of 20 would prove nothing other than Bell wasn't in prime form for the duration of the series."

Given Bell's history of embarrassingly inept performances whenever he has been confronted with a balanced attack, that would be almost as stupid as your last post.
where is this guy now btw? and where are all the naysayers?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't really get why Morgan's forward press is so pronounced, gives himself too much to do after the ball is released, will often find himself with a moving head.
Bigger issue is that he can't get right back, that was a reasonably short ball and he still had to play it from the crease because he could only push/rock back, rather than actually step back with his back leg.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, that put us out of our misery, would take a lead of 50 now.

Taufel having a surprisingly poor match, not like him :(

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Drop that clown FOREVER.

Even my nan could have played better in this series than the England middle order and she died last week.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonderful Morgan, it's anoying because Ravi might just get picked at the perfect time for him and get runs against Sri Lanka and West Indies, meaning that we won't see Taylor untill he is chucked in during the middle of the SA series.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well, that put us out of our misery, would take a lead of 50 now.
Wouldn't be enough even if we do. This lot couldn't chase more than 75 in the 4th innings afaics. Done & dusted imo. Laziness + stupidity get their reward in this series.

It'll be interesting to see how Flower plays it for SL.