• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, that sort of approach doesn't work. The way you maximise runs is by scoring more runs.

Guess what? Sometimes the bowler wins the battle and all you can do is see him off. I can't believe anyone would argue that the best way to play this attack is to play more shots. The two batsmen who have had the most success have been Hussey and Dravid, who when they're in prime touch know exactly where their off stump is and are very careful about what to play and what to leave. Those batsmen who compulsively drive at everything tend to find themselves constantly dismissed for low scores.

I can't believe after all of the success Pakistan as a team and Misbah as a batsman have had in the last year and a bit that there are still dolts who clearly watch too much T20 and try and argue that Misbah's methods are wrong.
If you do not see the difference in batting style between Hussey, Dravid and that of Misbah, then either you are genuinely dumb or just pretending to be dumb for reasons known to you.

I am not suggesting Misbah should bat T20 style. The weakness he has is his inability to pick up singles.. He goes into a shell and blocks at everything regardless of the delivery or the match situation. This is exactly what he did in the semi final and this is his approach because he has no other way which I explained in the earlier post. Both Hussey and Dravid, when on song are great at keeping the scoreboard ticking without playing T20 style or clearing the left leg which is the only way Misbah knows.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is the worst #11 shot I have seen since Shaun Tait decided to go three yards outside off stump and paddle sweep Steve Harmison in the 05 Ashes.

If there was any doubt whether Junaid would be dropped, I think that seals it. If a 10-year-old in one of my sides did that, I'd be furious, so I can only imagine what Mohsin feels...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For whom? You'd think that Azhar and Asad had secured their places in this match.
Taufeeq is a possibility but he hit a double ton a few Tests ago and is averaging about 50 since his recall, so it'd be a little harsh.

The other options are giving him the gloves, or going with a four man attack (including Hafeez), neither of which seem like great ideas to me.

I just don't get the huge push for him to play though, personally. He's not that good; not yet anyway. It's far more stupid that Fawad Alam is not playing.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I have never said scoring runs is not valuable. Your inability to understand the subtle difference in batting the way Misbah does and batting the way say someone like Younis or Trott does actually explains why you are made this post in the first place. My issue is not with scoring runs or not scoring runs. My point was, because Misbah is not good at keeping the scoreboard ticking, without taking risks, he costs Pakistan about 30-40 runs in the middle when Pakistan have about 6-7 wickets left.
I'll try to ignore the personal business. This isn't a nonesensical point, but it is a wildly exaggerated one. Misbah doesn't rotate the strike much, that doesn't mean he doesn't do it at all. He certainly doesn't hog the strike from a partner in any deliberate sense.

Even if he was holding the strike from his partner, he's perfectly justified in that action most of the time, as he's scoring a great deal more runs than most of his batting partners right now.

It is true that batting partnerships win you matches, not hundreds - which if anything aids Misbah's case, as the vast majority of non-opening partnerships from Pakistan in the last 18 months or so have had Misbah at one end.

"30-40 runs" is a huge exaggeration. There is some point here, and I would perhaps accept 5-10 runs as the potential cost. In any case, a man averaging 75 more than makes up for it.

The problem with Misbah is that he only knows two ways of batting..either go into a shell and block everything, or clear your left leg and smash the for a six. None of them are a sustainable approach for a top order batsmen and definitely not for a top order batsman who happens to be a captain. As a result he always finds himself running out of partners. There is a reason why he has so many scores of 80s and 70s in the last few innings he has played.
Misbah is not a top-order batsman, and scoring plenty of 70-80s does very nicely for a number 5. More to the point, there are countless very good Test batsmen who have limited strokeplay. Decision-making is just as vital a skill.

Any other top order batsman facing the same number of balls would have scored at least 25-30 more runs.
That's just silly, how many batsmen can you assume would have faced the same number of balls? Not to mention this completely contradicts your earlier assertion that "My issue is not with scoring runs or not scoring runs".

Now you might not see what's wrong with scoring 70s and 80s every match because at least he is scoring runs. Fair enough. I identify that as a problem that will hurt Pakistan from time to time..it did not effect them when England were 190 all out but it will when they score 327.
When your entire team fails to make more than 260 twice, the man making 80 every match is not to blame. Not by a long way.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we don't get these then we don't deserve to win the series. A studio full of glass-half-empty merchants really isn't what I want to hear here, Sky. We get out there and get on with it.

How many times has 145 or below been defended?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
For whom? You'd think that Azhar and Asad had secured their places in this match.
I'd have him over either over a series tbh, and probably over Taufeeq too(though being a opener saves him.)

Not likely to happen after this match, i agree.