• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Make a pathetic point, get a pathetic response. Your agenda against Misbah is utterly absurd.
I have no agenda against anyone. As an observer I have a right to analyse the game whether rightly or wrongly and express my opinions on this forum. You can agree or disagree but resorting to the kind of tone that you and Pother did clearly shows your inability to handle a difference of opinion. And if you two cannot handle a difference of opinion or a different way of looking at things, I am not sure if a public forum such as this is the right place for the both of you.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I have no agenda against anyone. As an observer I have a right to analyse the game whether rightly or wrongly and express my opinions on this forum. You can agree or disagree but resorting to the kind of tone that you and Pother did clearly shows your inability to handle a difference of opinion. And if you two cannot handle a difference of opinion or a different way of looking at things, I am not sure if a public forum such as this is the right place for the both of you.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't insult me. The fact that you've made lengthy posts does not mean you've made a point.

You haven't made any "analysis". You've simply blamed Misbah without any reasonable idea why, and have continued to do so regardless of either his individual or team results, both of which more than hold up to scrutiny. At no point have you given any reasoning for why his "approach to batting" has any sort of negative effect. He scores runs, has been doing so vastly more than anyone else on the team bar Younis. That's actually really helpful in cricket, believe it or not.

Make a point and it may be argued. Until then, you will continue to get contemptuous responses.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I am not sure if you meant me by that 'some people' jibe. Its frustrating when I have to explain this over and over again. When I judge a captain's approach on the field and his strategies, I do not consider the other external factors that everyone talks about. If you are a captain, there will always be things happening on the outside, especially if you are a Pakistani captain. I have been hearing this "oh he took over at a difficult time'' since the days of Wasim Akram, Rashid Latif, then Waqar Younis, then Inzamam, then Shoaib Mallik. There is always a difficult time when a new captain takes over. That has nothing to do with batting the way Misbah does and he bats like that regardless of whether he is captain or not. And that sort of batting just does not work these days because when you are in a good position, you have to maximise the number of runs you get.

Secondly, just because Pakistan is playing the number 1 team in the world does not mean they should use that as an excuse for average performances. If you think like that in sports, you will never be able to improve. Imagine if Australia thought ' oh we are playing the number 2 team in the world, so we have to accept average performances'. In cricket rankings mean nothing on the given day. Everyone is vulnerable.
Haha, that sort of approach doesn't work. The way you maximise runs is by scoring more runs.

Guess what? Sometimes the bowler wins the battle and all you can do is see him off. I can't believe anyone would argue that the best way to play this attack is to play more shots. The two batsmen who have had the most success have been Hussey and Dravid, who when they're in prime touch know exactly where their off stump is and are very careful about what to play and what to leave. Those batsmen who compulsively drive at everything tend to find themselves constantly dismissed for low scores.

I can't believe after all of the success Pakistan as a team and Misbah as a batsman have had in the last year and a bit that there are still dolts who clearly watch too much T20 and try and argue that Misbah's methods are wrong.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not about being attacking or defensive, it's about being clear-minded and decisive with your footwork and shot selection - and playing straight. It's not a complicated game.

Unless you're Pakistani, left-handed, and batting against Graeme Swann, in which case you're ****ed.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't insult me. The fact that you've made lengthy posts does not mean you've made a point.

You haven't made any "analysis". You've simply blamed Misbah without any reasonable idea why, and have continued to do so regardless of either his individual or team results, both of which more than hold up to scrutiny. At no point have you given any reasoning for why his "approach to batting" has any sort of negative effect. He scores runs, has been doing so vastly more than anyone else on the team bar Younis. That's actually really helpful in cricket, believe it or not.

Make a point and it may be argued. Until then, you will continue to get contemptuous responses.
Mate you're the one who resorted to insulting first. I have explained many times why Misbah's approach does not work, even in this topic. If you haven't read them, that's your problem.

I have never said scoring runs is not valuable. Your inability to understand the subtle difference in batting the way Misbah does and batting the way say someone like Younis or Trott does actually explains why you are made this post in the first place. My issue is not with scoring runs or not scoring runs. My point was, because Misbah is not good at keeping the scoreboard ticking, without taking risks, he costs Pakistan about 30-40 runs in the middle when Pakistan have about 6-7 wickets left.

The problem with Misbah is that he only knows two ways of batting..either go into a shell and block everything, or clear your left leg and smash the for a six. None of them are a sustainable approach for a top order batsmen and definitely not for a top order batsman who happens to be a captain. As a result he always finds himself running out of partners. There is a reason why he has so many scores of 80s and 70s in the last few innings he has played. Any other top order batsman facing the same number of balls would have scored at least 25-30 more runs.

Now you might not see what's wrong with scoring 70s and 80s every match because at least he is scoring runs. Fair enough. I identify that as a problem that will hurt Pakistan from time to time..it did not effect them when England were 190 all out but it will when they score 327.

Regardless of whether you subscribe to this point of view or not, there was no reason for you to resort to a condescending tone, which validates my point that you are unable to handle a difference of opinion, which in turn makes me question what you are doing on public forum.

Spark

Global Moderator
Swann to Abdur Rehman, OUT, 83.5 kph, given out lbw Nasser says straight away going down but hawk-eye has the ball giving leg stump a good whack so that's fair enough and gone! He was low trying to sweep, the ball skid past the attempted shot and hit the front pad low down, not all that far forward and it's straightened enough to hit leg stump
:detective

/inb4brokenrecord

Spark

Global Moderator
I think that definitely falls in the category of "comedy drops".

EDIT: Oh, it seems he didn't hit it. Oh well.