• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So the ICC evidence is finally in - and apparently even Glen McGrath chucks...

Migara

International Coach
Come on. Debate reasonably or don't debate at all.
He has no answer to what I've asked. just beating about the bush and looking like a joke. When scientific evidence is asked, this bloke says eyes are the evidence. How do you expect to react to such a person than laughing off.

uvelocity

International Coach
Ha, and here's something quite perceptive, before the fact. from Mukul Kesavan.

Degrees of guilt | Old Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Should the ICC not have the stomach for the uproar that will follow, it can go the more permissive route and peg the tolerance limit at 10 degrees for everyone. It will change bowling as we know it by encouraging the Lees, Akhtars, Harbhajans and Muralitharans at the expense of more orthodox bowlers....

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
you asked how i could tell hyper extension from flexing. i answered. i have a working pair of eyes and a basic knowledge of how the human arm works. you apparently don't

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what do you reckon we should teach kids? "You can throw it a little bit, that's alright so long as the result is better"?

Can't accept that at all tbh.

My concern isn't really over Ajmal, over whether this delivery is technically chucking or that and whether that's fair at the Test level. My main concern is the stuff vic, Marcuss etc. was posting about where people at lower levels are merrily chucking it down.
Do you actually have any solutions, though? The crux of the problem is that a key law of the game is totally unenforceable. And as a result, players that are willing to break that rule have a huge unfair advantage over players that aren't, and that situation devalues the entire sport. Legalising chucking solves the problem. I know it's a radical and brash change to a game that we love the way it is, but do you have a better idea? Seems to me the only other options are to put it entirely at the discretion of the umpire and litter the game with disgustingly arbitrary rulings or do nothing and let chucking ruin the game from the lower levels up.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
you asked how i could tell hyper extension from flexing. i answered. i have a working pair of eyes and a basic knowledge of how the human arm works. you apparently don't
lol no.

Human eyes are notoriously easy to fool. You can look online for all sorts of things that'll mislead the human eye.

Actual evidence please.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Isn't the difference between flexing and hyper-extension merely whether or not the starting point is greater than 180 degrees though? Have I got that right? For example (and it's only an example; these aren't facts) McGrath could be straightening from 190 degrees to 179 degrees while Ajmal's straightening could be from 170 degrees to 180 degrees. Despite McGrath straightening his arm more, technically, it definitely sits a lot better with me in terms of the spirit of the original bowling law (which was technically flawed but not IMO spiritually flawed) and what I think cricket is than what Ajmal does in that example.

I mean it's hard to tell in live motion sometimes but I fail to believe a distinction couldn't be made when looking at someone's action in super slow motion. Could that not be tested independently - could we not move the limit from 15 to 10 or 8 or something but only make straightening of a flex count and not straightening of a hyper-extension?

I'm not bleating about specific actions here (probably shouldn't have used names in my example tbh); merely asking why we couldn't do that if it fit in more with what we traditionally saw as a legal bowling action.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Isn't the difference between flexing and hyper-extension merely whether or not the starting point is greater than 180 degrees though? Have I got that right? For example (and it's only an example; these aren't facts) McGrath could be straightening from 190 degrees to 179 degrees while Ajmal's straightening could be from 170 degrees to 180 degrees. Despite McGrath straightening his arm more, technically, it definitely sits a lot better with me in terms of the spirit of the original bowling law (which was technically flawed but not IMO spiritually flawed) and what I think cricket is than what Ajmal does in that example.

I mean it's hard to tell in live motion sometimes but I fail to believe a distinction couldn't be made when looking at someone's action in super slow motion. Could that not be tested independently - could we not move the limit from 15 to 10 or 8 or something but only make straightening of a flex count and not straightening of a hyper-extension?

I'm not bleating about specific actions here (probably shouldn't have used names in my example tbh); merely asking why we couldn't do that if it fit in more with what we traditionally saw as a legal bowling action.
Yes but hyperextension is NOT included in the 15 degree rule.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
We already do exactly what I just said then?

So why are we talking about hyper-extension?

AFAIK, the limit is 15 degrees plus hyperextension, and has been from the beginning. When McGrath was found to be chucking, his 12 degrees did not include hyperextension.

I didn't bring up hyperextension, I have no idea why we are talking about it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i maintain that any straightening of a flexed arm is chucking. straightening a hyperextended arm ala shoiab/lee is fine but straightening from a flexed position is chucking, always has been chucking and always will be in my mind.
Thank God both the ICC and most people who follow the game have more sense than to follow your stupid definitions..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
AFAIK, the limit is 15 degrees plus hyperextension, and has been from the beginning. When McGrath was found to be chucking, his 12 degrees did not include hyperextension.

I didn't bring up hyperextension, I have no idea why we are talking about it.
Fair enough.

It makes all of Spambots posts entirely redundant. The ICC actually agrees with his definition! Like the one hb just quoted:

i maintain that any straightening of a flexed arm is chucking. straightening a hyperextended arm ala shoiab/lee is fine but straightening from a flexed position is chucking, always has been chucking and always will be in my mind.
The ICC evidently agrees 100%, but McGrath was found to straighten 11 degrees even when you took his hyper-extension out of it.