• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So the ICC evidence is finally in - and apparently even Glen McGrath chucks...

Migara

International Coach
It's a massive issue at lower levels, guys get away with chucking all the time because they're not going to be tested, but they aren't going to be pulled up because guys bowl with bent arms in international cricket.

Also, surely Murali didn't have hyperextension, the whole thing is that he can't have his arm fully straight?
Murali did not have a hyper extensible elbow. It just straightened less than 15 degrees when he's bowling. Alternatively he had a hypermobile wrist and a shoulder creating the illusion of straightening.

Migara

International Coach
"If Murali was allowed to take more than a thousand international wickets then how could the ICC turn round to this bloke and say you’re a cheat? Remember, too, that off spin was a dying art before these guys came along and they have rejuvenated this form of bowling. And that has to be for the good of the game as a whole." - Nasser Hussain
Nasser Husaain is just blabbering

Migara

International Coach
That's pure codswallop. It's based on the entirely false premise that no bowlers ever change their actions. Passing a test once in laboratory conditions is not a licence to chuck henceforth. An analogy would be being cleared of armed robbery and immediately walking down to Barclays with a sawn off. "I can't be robbing you, I've been tried and cleared."

If bowlers couldn't change their action those who exceed the limits in testing would be pissing in the wind with their "remedial work" before being tested again, wouldn't they?

FFS.
Then check everybody FFS. ONLY checking people when their action doesn't please you is just bollocks.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Then check everybody FFS. ONLY checking people when their action doesn't please you is just bollocks.
Yeah that's what I was saying..you can't just pick on Ajmal...if the umpires report him then that is a different issue..but otherwise, now that he has been cleared, he should be treated like every other bowler..until someone reports officially.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. No one liked my last comment.

Let me explain. When you look at any restrictive laws in cricket (or any sport), they are there to avoid some kind of unfair advantage to a side. Wide balls are penalized because otherwise bowlers could just deny batsman the scoring opportunities, for example. With chucking, in case of spinners, I don't see any 'unfair' advantage to spinners. A few new variations to me are most welcome. So I wouldn't quibble too much about another degree or two of flex.

I know for 'purists' it is ugly viewing (and I can see why) and they would oppose any leniency, but remember there was resistance even to over-arm bowling in early 19th century. Things evolve and change with time, and I am all for it if it brings new innovations to the game.

Migara

International Coach
If you read the link I posted earlier about the biomechanics of illegal bowling actions, you could consider that the current test is doing it wrong.

imo you can't put 99% of all bowlers ever, in the same basket as the Ajmal variations. The study shows a theory why. You can bowl with a chucking action within the 15%.
And it means you can have a normal action outside 15degrees as well,:ph34r:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Murali did not have a hyper extensible elbow. It just straightened less than 15 degrees when he's bowling. Alternatively he had a hypermobile wrist and a shoulder creating the illusion of straightening.
So his wrist had hyperextension, yeah?

But in essence we are agreeing with each other, no hyperextension in his elbow.

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't make up thing. Prove what you say with evidence.
i'm sorry mate but it's just common sense.

this isn't chucking. this was never chucking,not even under the old rules. the rule was no straightening of the arm from a flexed position. guess what? mcgrath never straightened his arm from a flexed position. the perfect bowling arm.

Migara

International Coach
i'm sorry mate but it's just common sense.

this isn't chucking. this was never chucking,not even under the old rules. the rule was no straightening of the arm from a flexed position. guess what? mcgrath never straightened his arm from a flexed position. the perfect bowling arm.
Buahaha!

3D action on 2D films are the ones that apologetics post not scientific evidence. McGrath extended it 12 degrees and so was Pollock. Murali straightened it less than that for the off break.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha. No one liked my last comment.

Let me explain. When you look at any restrictive laws in cricket (or any sport), they are there to avoid some kind of unfair advantage to a side. Wide balls are penalized because otherwise bowlers could just deny batsman the scoring opportunities, for example. With chucking, in case of spinners, I don't see any 'unfair' advantage to spinners. A few new variations to me are most welcome. So I wouldn't quibble too much about another degree or two of flex.

I know for 'purists' it is ugly viewing (and I can see why) and they would oppose any leniency, but remember there was resistance even to over-arm bowling in early 19th century. Things evolve and change with time, and I am all for it if it brings new innovations to the game.
Nah disagree. Chucking isn't just about nullifying advantage, it's a fundamental tenet of the sport. It's one of the most important things about cricket that makes it cricket. I'm all for variations, and I have no real issues with the law as it stands but we should be absolutely hammering in that the idea that cricket is about as straight an arm as possible.

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
So his wrist had hyperextension, yeah?

But in essence we are agreeing with each other, no hyperextension in his elbow.
Yes, it was a permenantly bent elbow. If it was a normal one, wouldn't have seen the illusion of straightening.

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
Buahaha!

3D action on 2D films are the ones that apologetics post not scientific evidence. McGrath extended it 12 degrees and so was Pollock. Murali straightened it less than that for the off break.
if you can't tell just by watching him bowl that he isn't flexing his arm then i'm sorry but i just don't know what to tell you.