• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So the ICC evidence is finally in - and apparently even Glen McGrath chucks...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it is not realistic to bowl a doosra without that bend either. Why is suddenly fast bowling more important to cricket than a spinner bowling a doosra? 8-)
Why should a delivery that was illegal and (as far as we can tell) not bowled for over a century suddenly be legitimate and commonplace now?

Legitimising the doosra is not good for cricket as far as I'm concerned. It pretty much cannot be bowled without chucking. That trumps any reason you can come up with for allowing the delivery.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why should a delivery that was illegal and (as far as we can tell) not bowled for over a century suddenly be legitimate and commonplace now?

Legitimising the doosra is not good for cricket as far as I'm concerned. It pretty much cannot be bowled without chucking. That trumps any reason you can come up with for allowing the delivery.
So if there was a 100 year period when no one bowled fast, you would ban fast bowling too?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
it sounds more likely than every bowler over the last 100 years chucking without anyone noticing
And there have been more stories of guys reported to be chucking than anyone having hyperextension in the past 10 years alone.. But then again, when facts don't suit your argument, why bother about them? :)

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
no.. not at all. Especially because no one had any ****ing clue what hyperextension was until Murali and Shoaib showed up..
people didn't know what hyper extension was? i'm sorry but people have known what hyperextension is since long before the first game of cricket was played.

also murali didn't hyperextend his elbow.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
people didn't know what hyper extension was? i'm sorry but people have known what hyperextension is since long before the first game of cricket was played.

no.. he had a different kind of hyperextension.. But it was that, alright..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

not cricket fans.. not the majority of them.. And since you seem to think Murali doesn't have hyperextension, I am guessing you don't know about it fully either.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Made this post earlier in the other thread -

But the Seamers then get extra speed from that extra hyper extension too. Bowl slower if you want to stay in the limit, IMO.

And spinners as you say have hyper extensions too, depending on their actions especially when they want to bowl the quicker delivery. Also what you are forgetting with spinners is that there needs to be some leeway for wrist and finger (and even shoulder) action to put revs on the ball.
That whole argument that seamers deserve more leeway because they bowl faster and have hyperextension is nonsense. Bowl slower if you want to stay in the limit then because by any stretch of logic bowling quicker is a advantage just like spinning the bowl more is.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Seriously, that's your argument against the Doosra? :huh:

Similar arguments were used against reverse swing when all countries couldn't do it a while back(Mostly by fans/players of countries who couldn't themselves). Game evolves and new variations come in and rightly so as long as they are within the rules.

And the rules evolve over the time too, like almost all the rules have right from LBW to playing conditions. And this thread in itself is a example of why this specific rule had too.

Last edited: