• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Trust me, you're preaching to the choir here, but I imagine it will be dragged up as evidence of why DRS sux in the future.
Dont have a problem with using DRS, esp. to show what happened than what would have happened.. But of course, even with technology aid, you will always have these umpires who just can't make the right ****ing decision...

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but this isn't an opinion I formed today or on Tuesday :p I genuinely think that he needs to be far more flexible as a batsman against spin and have thought so for ages.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If unproven bowlers with fairly average domestic records (okay Junaid's is good; he's still unproven though :p) who have both played one especially good Test match each in their entire careers isn't depth, then you don't know what depth is.

Well then you don't know what depth is, my good man. :)
Firstly, I don't take FC records too seriously especially ones in Pakistan... Wasim, Waqar, Inzy, Anwar, none of them had great FC records when they started.

Secondly I have seen enough of Riaz and Junaid to reach the conclusion that they can be good to very good bowlers for Pakistan..and experience tells me very good bowlers can often win you a test match.

Thirdly, I have no issues with you writing off Riaz and Khan because I understand you haven't seen them enough and you rely a lot on stats..Fair enough..I am happy to wait and let them perform and you to change your mind :)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Depth is when Peter Siddle is labelled the leader of your attack and then doesn't want a rest in case he can't get back in? :laugh:
But why are you bringing in Australia..I was not comparing Pakistan's depth with Australia's. All I said was that Pakistan has depth in seam bowling department..did not say whether it was better or worse than Australia's.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Was because he wasn't reading it IMO; he was just bamboozled by it. Obviously he could've just smothered the spin by getting to the pitch, but it's instinctive to think you'll just play bowlers off the pitch if you can't read them out of the hand. Reckon he'll have a different plan come the second Test; one bad Test does not suddenly make him a lesser player.
Bet that 6+5 combo must look real tempting for England now.

For the guys that follow England better than me here, would England have played Bresnan ahead of Morgan and brought in Panesar if Bres was fit for this tour?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Firstly, I don't take FC records too seriously especially ones in Pakistan... Wasim, Waqar, Inzy, Anwar, none of them had great FC records when they started.

Secondly I have seen enough of Riaz and Junaid to reach the conclusion that they can be good to very good bowlers for Pakistan..and experience tells me very good bowlers can often win you a test match.

Thirdly, I have no issues with you writing off Riaz and Khan because I understand you haven't seen them enough and you rely a lot on stats..Fair enough..I am happy to wait and let them perform and you to change your mind :)
I actually think Junaid is a bit gun and should be the second bowler selected on the team sheet after Ajmal tbh, but that doesn't mean Pakistan have fast bowling depth. I don't really rate Wahab very highly, Gul leaves me cold these days and his action has completely deteriorated, while Cheema is decent bowler (with experience in England too, which could help) but not one who'd I'd expect to average less than 33 long-term. So yeah, fair cop to say I'm writing off Wahab, but I'm definitely not writing off Junaid; I just don't think he's proven much at all yet to consider him strong depth right now.

Pakistan have a good side and I've been saying that for ages now but I agree with TT Boy's point about how they'd go away from home against the top sides; their fast bowling depth has got absolutely nothing on England, Australia or South Africa at the moment. That said, it's not really taking anything away from them - I mean which team can win against top sides in alien conditions at the moment? None of them have proven they can at all and the best hope, England, have just had a bit of a stumble on their first try.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bet that 6+5 combo must look real tempting for England now.

For the guys that follow England better than me here, would England have played Bresnan ahead of Morgan and brought in Panesar if Bres was fit for this tour?
After getting rolled for 192 and 160 and dismissing the opposition for 338 on a road, I don't think they'll be looking to improve matters by bringing in another bowler at the expense of a batsman, as crap as Morgan admittedly is.

And I don't think they would've, tbh, but there's a chance, yeah.

Spark

Global Moderator
I actually think Junaid is a bit gun and should be the second bowler selected on the team sheet after Ajmal tbh, but that doesn't mean Pakistan have fast bowling depth. I don't really rate Wahab very highly, Gul leaves me cold these days and his action has completely deteriorated, while Cheema is decent bowler (with experience in England too, which could help) but not one who'd I'd expect to average less than 33 long-term. So yeah, fair cop to say I'm writing off Wahab, but I'm definitely not writing off Junaid; I just don't think he's proven much at all yet to consider him strong depth right now.

Pakistan have a good side and I've been saying that for ages now but I agree with TT Boy's point about how they'd go away from home against the top sides; their fast bowling depth has got absolutely nothing on England, Australia or South Africa at the moment. That said, it's not really taking anything away from them - I mean which team can win against top sides in alien conditions at the moment? None of them have proven they can at all and the best hope, England, have just had a bit of a stumble on their first try.
SA are very tough to beat on tour tbf, it's at home where they're unexpectedly wobbly.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh come on, the order is the whole fun :p

Mine would be.... hmmm.... hard to balance current form vs long term class when drawing up the list, depends on your personal emphasis I suppose.. my order would be something like

Tendulkar - still looks a million dollars and churning out solid scores if not hundreds)
Kallis - still majestic at the crease and scoring big
Trott - seems to make mostly tough runsClarke - improving massively, gets tough runs now
Cook - lean run lately but been churning out hundreds
Dravid - looks out of form in current series but been massive the last year or so
Sangakkara - consistent and seems to get a hundred in every series
Hussey - playing tight again, amazing run of form in the last year
Amla - improving, a flair player, and making more hundreds now
De Villiers - improving, ditto with the flair but still learning how to make tough runs

Omitted Bell as I still think he's allergic to tough runs :p I guess I have a thing about them and they count about 4x more than soft runs to me
How so?

Assuming that their is a massive asterisk against his double against Pakistan, by far his most impressive ton was the one on debut and even then Oz failed to pick a spinner on a raging turner

The rest were on absolute roads against pretty ****ty/hopelessly out of form attacks

IMO, his failures in SA say as much about his quality as being good enough to cash in when literally everything is in your favour

TBH, I agree with PEWS - good player but no way a top 10

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@PEWS:

I do agree that you gotta strengthen the batting when you have made scores of less than 200 twice in the same match but the point is, I think their reserve bowler will give them more chance of a victory than their reserve batsman.. And that is the approach I would take if I am in charge.. You gotta pick the team that gives you the better chance of winning the game, than just looking at batting/bowling as seperate disciplines and strengthening/weakening them..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
@PEWS:

I do agree that you gotta strengthen the batting when you have made scores of less than 200 twice in the same match but the point is, I think their reserve bowler will give them more chance of a victory than their reserve batsman.. And that is the approach I would take if I am in charge.. You gotta pick the team that gives you the better chance of winning the game, than just looking at batting/bowling as seperate disciplines and strengthening/weakening them..
I think the only way they can actually come to the conclusion that the extra bowler would be worth more than the extra batsman at this point is if they think Morgan and Bopara are as unlikely to score any meaningful runs as I do, and if they actually did share my POV there they'd have left those two at home and brought over a real batsman like James Taylor.

So I can't see it happening; they evidently rate Morgan and Bopara as Test standard, or at least potentially so, and given that they'll back them.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
To be fair, England did warm up nicely enough leading into this Test. so they don't really have an excuse for being caught cold. And I can think of more testing, alien conditions than the "road" this wicket was.

Not to flog a dead horse, but England being no. 1 were expected to come here and have their way with what is still very much a recuperating Pakistan side. We can harp on about how Pak will fare abroad against the top sides with their limited pace attack, but the fact is this - you don't need top drawer pace to win away from Eng, Aus, SA. You need quality spin, and England didn't come anywhere close to cutting mustard in spite of boasting the no.1 offspinner in the game today.

social

That's a dire point really :laugh:

Wahab Riaz won Pakistan a test match in England

Junaid Khan has a 5 wicket haul against Sri Lanka on conditions that would suit their batting.

Neither could make it to the playing XI.
If that is not depth, I don't know what is.
And now compare it to Eng, SA and Oz

Not one Pakistani seamer would make the squads of those countries let alone the playing X1

Added to the fact that Pakistan really only have 2 batsmen that could be potentially relied upon to score runs consistently in seaming/bouncing conditions (Younis and Misbah) and that their spin would be largely ineffective other than in SA (only because they hate it) and the point stands - Pakistan would be pushing **** uphill to be competitive in those contries

social

To be fair, England did warm up nicely enough leading into this Test. so they don't really have an excuse for being caught cold. And I can think of more testing, alien conditions than the "road" this wicket was.

Not to flog a dead horse, but England being no. 1 were expected to come here and have their way with what is still very much a recuperating Pakistan side. We can harp on about how Pak will fare abroad against the top sides with their limited pace attack, but the fact is this - you don't need top drawer pace to win away from Eng, Aus, SA. You need quality spin, and England didn't come anywhere close to cutting mustard in spite of boasting the no.1 offspinner in the game today.
Good post

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I have no doubt in my mind that Pakistan will get their ***es handed out to them in Australia, South Africa and England..however I also think that it will be more due to the batting falling like a pack of cards and getting bundled out for totals like 70 and 120. I can't recall the last time Pakistan were let down by their bowling attack on an overseas tour. Every time they have lost badly overseas, it was their batting.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
And now compare it to Eng, SA and Oz

Not one Pakistani seamer would make the squads of those countries let alone the playing X1

Added to the fact that Pakistan really only have 2 batsmen that could be potentially relied upon to score runs consistently in seaming/bouncing conditions (Younis and Misbah) and that their spin would be largely ineffective other than in SA (only because they hate it) and the point stands - Pakistan would be pushing **** uphill to be competitive in those contries
When did I talk about Pakistan's batting? Have I ever talked positively or confidently about Pakistan's batting? Not even when flat track bully Mohammad Yousuf was in the team. Not even when cricinfo couldn't stop writing about how awesome Hafeez and Taufiq Umar were in 2011. I still think Hafeez and Taufiq Umar are crap despite their 100 run stand.

However, regarding the bowling, I did not compare the depth with Australia, England or South Africa either. All I said was that Pakistan has depth in that department..which they do and I still stand by it.

Jacknife

International Captain

I don't think that's true at all, maybe a lot of people thought England would win the series and they might still do but I don't know many that thought England would have there way. But don't let what you say get away from the fact that the bowlers bowled pretty well and dismissed Pakistan for not a high score all all for this track but it was the batsmen who came up short.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think it's unfair to say Pakistan don't have a good pace attack. Our pace attack has never let us down. And I believe that they will be good enough under very good conditions like England.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I think it's unfair to say Pakistan don't have a good pace attack. Our pace attack has never let us down. And I believe that they will be good enough under very good conditions like England.
I don't feel it has that 'Aura' as our previous attacks had... I mean, you can't expect our team to rattle out a top notch England side as we did thus match as we could have before...