• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's an odd chain of logic that brings out the absurdly pessimistic post.

"I wouldn't want to predict us winning or doing well. That way, I might look like a complete tool if it doesn't come off later on. I'd better play it safe and make myself look like a complete tool right now".
I said I was happy with the lead and would take it considering it's England that we are facing. But there is nothing wrong with having a cautious approach.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Misbah went with a winning formula from the previous series. Cheema and Gul over the last year have been good for us, so there was nothing wrong with going with them.

I also do have a problem with Misbah being slow, and that he needs to make more singles and twos. However the pitches that they are playing on aren't exactly easy to score off.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Look mate.
Its good to go with your winning formula but what had Umar and Aizaz achieved last year?. These trundlers could not even bowl out zimbabwe. It was Ajmal and AR who did the job.

Staying stubborn is not exactly what you want as a captain. Change the team when there are better options in first place. Junaid had been excellent last season, why not him?
Mind-boggling strategies, to be honest.

salman85

International Debutant
Look mate.
Its good to go with your winning formula but what had Umar and Aizaz achieved last year?. These trundlers could not even bowl out zimbabwe. It was Ajmal and AR who did the job.

Staying stubborn is not exactly what you want as a captain. Change the team when there are better options in first place. Junaid had been excellent last season, why not him?
Mind-boggling strategies, to be honest.
There's a reason why Misbah is the captain of our team.And you are a random internet poster. - He knows more.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
There's a reason why Misbah is the captain of our team.And you are a random internet poster. - He knows more.
:laugh: Could that be said about Zardari as well?
Theres a reason why Zardari is the President of your country. he knows more.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan epically ballsing up from here wouldn't make you not gambhiring, dust up on your CW vocab.
tbh I only have a vague idea of Gambhiring. Can you (or anyone) post the official definition? So at least I am able to understand properly the crime that I am committing?

Its just that I have seen Pakistan play a bit more than you and have some painful memories of Pakistan failing to chase totals of 130 plus in the fourth innings (e.g 3rd Test: Pakistan v South Africa at Faisalabad, Oct 24-27, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo).. so I know what I am talking about. When you have the best team in the world bundled out for 190 on the first day, you don't settle for a 90 run lead...you aim for at least a 200 run lead because they are not going to get bundled out for 190 every day.
How can you say you have seen Pakistan play more than me?

You do try to aim for that kind of lead but do you really think people like Asad Shafique are up for it? We don't really have our side full of Vivs and Gilchrists know. Get real

Those bashing Misbah and showing extreme disappointment in Pakistan’s position – you do realize we’re playing the top side in the world right? It was never going to be easy; they aren’t going to fold. Yes, we could have a bigger lead and a better position, but I would’ve taken being 100 ahead at the start of the match when we lost the toss.
Somewhat agree with Fusion

:laugh:

:laugh: Could that be said about Zardari as well?
Theres a reason why Zardari is the President of your country. he knows more.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

good comeback Z-Man

Woodster

International Captain
A gritty and disciplined fightback from England today, but Pakistan still in a position of strength. A poor day today from England's attack and saving this Test could have got so much harder, but as it stands, while we're still in a degree of trouble we are not out of this Test.

Thought the bowling unit today were very patient and rewards were gained in small doses, the wicket by Swann of Misbah at the tail-end of the day was a big scalp. Misbah is not the biggest entertainer with bat in hand but he must be commended for his consistnecy, reliability, and downright refusal to give his wicket away. He doesn't impose himself on the opposition but maintains a very cool temperament and today played an effective role. I do think the run rate can cause issues, but England generally bowled excellent areas today.

Hafeez was very good, positive when the delivery allowed and looked very organised. Had a let-off with Bell's shy at the stumps and Tremlett's dropping of a difficult chance, but apart from those mis-judgements he was solid.

Trott took the vital wicket of Younis who was looking very ominous from England's point of view. Did a decent fifth bowling job today, nice shape through the air and got seam off the deck that clearly surprised Younis.

The thing that concerned me after the first session (probably more the first hour) was the length we bowled. I appreciate early in the day when the ball was relatively new we looked to pitch it up and see what we could get out of it. But I felt we over-pitched too frequently, Taufeeq and Hafeez were able to drive easily and I hoped we'd pull the lengths back after lunch. The length debate is an interesting one as everyone has different views on the best length for our bowlers to bowl on this track.

Thought we got it pretty much spot on for much of the day though. Interestingly this second new ball is still swinging in orthodox fashion and it's around 25 overs old. Hopefully it'll still swing tomorrow morning and we get things wrapped up early before too much further damage is done.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
I hope the young khatmal can get us 50-100 more runs with the tail.....seems like wishful thinking though
Yeah unless the tail-enders are made to practice batting in nets before play tomorrow.
I remember Bob Woolmer doing that and Pakistan tail making above 100 in a valuable partnership. (Vague memory but I think it was Umar Gul and Rana naveed) Good Old Days.

Can't expect that, though. Mohsin Hassan Khan is busy drinking tea in the morning.

Woodster

International Captain
Would be disappointed if your tail manages to accumulate another 50/100 runs with the batsmen to come, though it is a decent deck to do it. If Jimmy swings it first up, hope the job can get done early doors.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The people criticising Misbah really have no grasp of how demoralising it would have been for England to get to stumps having only taken 5 wickets all day and facing the prospect of Misbah grinding them down further tomorrow. It might not be pretty and might not have blazed a massive lead for Pakistan, but had Misbah survived the day then his effort would have paid massive dividends on days 4 and 5.

If he'd scored his runs quicker then all it would have meant is that England would have broken into the tail quicker and might even be batting again. Ideally Misbah would have scored more, but give me a 50 scored at a snail's pace like today's innings over a flashy 20 or 30 any day of the week.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Well I guess tomorrow will be the decider of the match. If our tail puts up a good lead or not and if we get you out cheap again or you score heavy.

Woodster

International Captain
As for the England bowlers individually today, I thought Broad generally represented the biggest threat to Pakistan, he was the one that was getting just a hint of movement off the deck, his delivery to Taufeeq was near perfection, and the one to remove Azhar just did enough aswell. There was one spell where he really struggled, but on the whole he looked the most likely bowler to make something happen but not at the expense of conceding many runs.

Anderson was fairly ineffective in his first spell, but came back well throughout the day bowling tightly and when there was just a hint of swing on offer later in the day he typically caused a few problems and snared a couple of wickets. Disciplined effort.

Swann got little turn all day. While Ajmal didn't need any assistance from the deck to be a threat, Swann does need a bit in the pitch. The line of his deliveries that we accept to be attacking lines didn't work as well without the spin into the right-handers and may need to go straighter till he gets some assistance. He still managed to pick up two big wickets, the set Hafeez that fell to the sweep shot off a full length, and one ball that did turn to Misbah, which was excellently reviewed by Swann and Strauss to see the back of the skipper.

Tremlett was probably the least threatening bowler on show, even taking into account Trott's part-time medium pace. He is clearly well down on pace so any extra bounce can be easily ridden as the batsman does have time to adjust (easy to say from my armchair!). Having said that at least he was economical and didn't allow the pressure built to be released. He'll be better for getting through another 17 overs today.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well I guess tomorrow will be the decider of the match. If our tail puts up a good lead or not and if we get you out cheap again or you score heavy.
The only way the match will be decided tomorrow is if England have a shocker. Even if England have the ideal day, they'll go into day 4 250-300 runs to the good - England will have to have 3 excellent days to win the Test. Pakistan can afford a bit of a **** up tomorrow.