• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha it would be so awesome if it actually was just an elaborate prank to put England off. Warne would probably have cracked that he meant the whole thing whether he did or not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
20 minutes I saw...then I walk into work and security have it on and we're 50 for ****ing 5. Jesus.

Woodster

International Captain
For us to bowl Pakistan out for around 250 tomorrow, it's going to have to be an impressive performance from the bowling unit. The 15 overs we bowled at the end of day one were pretty uninspiring and it gave us an indication of the patience and application we're going to have to dispay in bucketloads tomorrow.

Knowing there was only 15 overs left in the day, thought we may come out firing on all cylinders, but both Tremlett and Anderson looked well down on pace, and Jimmy curved a couple away from Hafeez early but little else after the first couple of overs. It is very early days and they may well have been feeling their way into the series but it's going to be a hard slog tomorrow you think.

Broad may be the most likely to cause problems, he looked in good rhythmn and was hitting Prior's gloves fairly hard, his variations may be key also. All four will need to be disciplined, there may be long periods of inactivity providing we're accurate, then we have to sniff out the half chance.

Any thoughts on who may be England's key man tomorrow ? And Pakistan's ?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rehman's so, so accurate.
Lovely delivery to get Swann. Highlight of the day for me; about the perfect SLA bowler's ball, pitches middle, hits top of off. Batsman has to play it.

Can't wait until Brumbeh expresses his thoughts on Ajmal's new ball.

Loves his bent arms.
Loves Ajmal in general too.
Yeah, look I've been pretty consistent on this. I don't have a problem suddenly because The Spanish Archer has taken seven against my country's test side; I have a problem because he flouts the (admittedly nonsensical) laws.

Brumby calls every other bowler (except swann) a chucker. He said Ashwin chucks the ball :wacko:
Ha, tres bollo. Rehman doesn't chuck, Hafeez doesn't chuck, Cheema doesn't chuck and Gul doesn't chuck.

Ajmal does. & I think Ashwin's carom ball employs rather more elbow than I like to see in a delivery, but he's like ****ing Jim Laker compared to Ajmal.

Never heard of a man with so many demonstrably untrue theories.

Well besides the ones with 80k posts I mean.
Lol.

Yeah good post. If Ajmal is 0/85 today no one would have said much (barring Brumby). Say it once or twice and move on.

Ajmal's action is dodgy. No doubt. But constantly panning it when he is making your team llook foolish appears like sour grapes, even when it isn't meant to be like that.
Thank you. I might be a miserable old man tilting at windmills, but I at least have the merit of consistency.

In other news: enough with the sweep, already. Strauss, Morgan and Broad all fell to badly executed variations on the theme. Last English batsman I truly felt confident on the sweep with was Trescothick.

Woodster

International Captain
In other news: enough with the sweep, already. Strauss, Morgan and Broad all fell to badly executed variations on the theme. Last English batsman I truly felt confident on the sweep with was Trescothick.
Not sure you could class Strauss' mis-judgement as a poorly executed sweep, was much more like an ill-advised pull shot off a full-ish length. Whatever it's classed as it certainly wasn't pretty.

Yes that ball from Rehman to get Swann was a peach, almost impossible to play when so few turned as sharply.

Jacknife

International Captain
For us to bowl Pakistan out for around 250 tomorrow, it's going to have to be an impressive performance from the bowling unit. The 15 overs we bowled at the end of day one were pretty uninspiring and it gave us an indication of the patience and application we're going to have to dispay in bucketloads tomorrow.

Knowing there was only 15 overs left in the day, thought we may come out firing on all cylinders, but both Tremlett and Anderson looked well down on pace, and Jimmy curved a couple away from Hafeez early but little else after the first couple of overs. It is very early days and they may well have been feeling their way into the series but it's going to be a hard slog tomorrow you think.

Broad may be the most likely to cause problems, he looked in good rhythmn and was hitting Prior's gloves fairly hard, his variations may be key also. All four will need to be disciplined, there may be long periods of inactivity providing we're accurate, then we have to sniff out the half chance.

One thing that will be key will that morning session. In the warm up games it was much harder work in the afternoon sessions but the mornings there was always a clatter of wickets, it seems the pitch has a bit of life in the mornings. England have to look to get at least 3 or 4 wickets in that session or it could be a very long day. Broad & Swann look like they'll be the more likely of players from a England point of view.

Woodster

International Captain
One thing that will be key will that morning session. In the warm up games it was much harder work in the afternoon sessions but the mornings there was always a clatter of wickets, it seems the pitch has a bit of life in the mornings. England have to look to get at least 3 or 4 wickets in that session or it could be a very long day. Broad & Swann look like they'll be the more likely of players from a England point of view.
Bumble was talking on commentary today and said he'd been talking with Jimmy Anderson who said during practice the ball began to swing in the afternoon, now there was no real evidence of that today tbf.

Yes the ball is still relatively new so the first hour could be vital. There didn't seem much in the line of reverse swing either for Gul and Cheema. Gul got one or two to tail in on Swann when he bowled some yorker length deliveries, but barring that there was nothing, which is concerning. I agree, I think Broad and Swann will have to have big days tomorrow.

Woodster

International Captain
Umar Gul was probably responsible for the worst review ever today aswell. He seemed to somehow convince Misbah it was a close call, more fool the skipper for not trusting his instinct. For those that didn't see it, Gul went round the wicket to Swann when the ball was doing nothing, bowled a length ball that hit Swann on the pad, now how he expected that to be pitching in line and hitting the stumps I'll never know. Misbah looked like he knew it was ambitious but went for it nonetheless, no surprise when it showed to have pitched way outside leg stump. Crazy.

Not sure Prior would have been too chuffed with Broad after using the last review on a relatively straight forward one either.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

Reckon for Pakistan it's the Professor. He has the best strike-rate in the team and if he gets going and makes a solid score, advantage to us. For England it has to be broad. Tremlett didn't look that brilliant, Anderson didn't get the swing and Swann was decent so far, but I noticed that Broad managed to get one or two deliveries to seam in, so he will be dangerous.

This is key. Morning sessions are where the teams will look for early wickets and swing. It was the same against Sri Lanka. In this weather it's chilly as well in the mornings (does that affect swing?).

slowfinger

International Debutant
Lovely delivery to get Swann. Highlight of the day for me; about the perfect SLA bowler's ball, pitches middle, hits top of off. Batsman has to play it.

Yeah, look I've been pretty consistent on this. I don't have a problem suddenly because The Spanish Archer has taken seven against my country's test side; I have a problem because he flouts the (admittedly nonsensical) laws.

Ha, tres bollo. Rehman doesn't chuck, Hafeez doesn't chuck, Cheema doesn't chuck and Gul doesn't chuck.

Ajmal does. & I think Ashwin's carom ball employs rather more elbow than I like to see in a delivery, but he's like ****ing Jim Laker compared to Ajmal.

Lol.

Thank you. I might be a miserable old man tilting at windmills, but I at least have the merit of consistency.

Benchmark: "get down on one knee and slog sweep that ****"