• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Furball

Evil Scotsman
From what his former charges say he's great technically (although precious ****ing little evidence from India currently), but not so much a people person. With England he was lucky he had two good captains in Hussain and Vaughan who could be his liaision with the players. If the relationship with Dhoni isn't there (and MS doesn't ever sound like a man who wants to hear home truths; there's defending one's players and there's being obtuse) I think he'll struggle to impose his vision.

The contents of his pearl-handled revolver if he be a man of honour.

Anyway, two random thoughts/questions:

1) Were India ever whitewashed in the McWarne era?

2) Has anyone ever score a century on the first day of a test when his team has batted second before?
Lost 3-0 in the 90s didn't they?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From what his former charges say he's great technically (although precious ****ing little evidence from India currently), but not so much a people person. With England he was lucky he had two good captains in Hussain and Vaughan who could be his liaision with the players. If the relationship with Dhoni isn't there (and MS doesn't ever sound like a man who wants to hear home truths; there's defending one's players and there's being obtuse) I think he'll struggle to impose his vision.

The contents of his pearl-handled revolver if he be a man of honour.

Anyway, two random thoughts/questions:

1) Were India ever whitewashed in the McWarne era?

2) Has anyone ever score a century on the first day of a test when his team has batted second before?
Answer to 1 is yes. There was 1999 and that team under Sachin.

And honestly, I don''t care anymore if we beat Australia or England at home.. I mean, sure I would follow the scores but it doesn't mean anything. Because there is always the IPL that matters more. If it took two 4-0 pastings for BCCI to realize that A tours are important, then we are ****ed anyways..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been very good. Noticed Warner copying the England fielders by running 30 yards to slap the bum of a teammate who made a good stop. All looks a bit weird when that happens but obviously helps morale.
I recall when Australia started doing this in the mid 80s around the time they were getting pumped by NZ here, and Richie & Chappelli going nuts about "this superficial hype because a fielder actually did his job and stopped the ball".

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, not when you have to tell them how play a front foot defence properly 1000 times before chucking tennis balls at them for hours. You need lots of patience to coach ****ty players, and you won't even get rewarded. I've helped coach Chinese kids out here and I'd never ever do it again.

Don't know how Neil Pickup does it.
With the line "there are a load of other children who'd like to be here in your place if you can't manage to follow these simple instructions". One of the bonuses of predominantly coaching at rep level, where we often see kids making massive progress when they've the self-discipline to buckle down and focus on the basics. I know the feeling of "child minding" though, and the challenge is, I think, developing the technical skills required to succeed, which will inevitably breed engagement and kick off a virtuous circle.

This is an idea that I'm trying to cover in the "writing a book helps your batting..." thread.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I recall when Australia started doing this in the mid 80s around the time they were getting pumped by NZ here, and Richie & Chappelli going nuts about "this superficial hype because a fielder actually did his job and stopped the ball".
That's like saying you shouldn't applaud a boundary or a wicket because it's simply a player doing their job. There's stopping the ball and there's "wow he stopped that ball".

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Oh dear, what a series. Marching towards a fabulous 4-0.

As for coaching kids, I've done some at lower levels for both Rugby and Cricket and I think the level of involvement depends upon the club or school they're involved with. I was working for a reasonably wealthy private school and they put a lot of resources into their sports programs. The facilities and training equipment, as well as the organisation, was very good and this in turn meant the kids were actively involved.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Digressing slightly, how does one pronounce 'Rahane'?

Is it like; 'Rah-hayn' or 'Rah-ha-nay' or something different?

Figured this question wasn't worth of it's own thread ;)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Should have obviously been when McGrath and Warne was playing. The team should have also been able to put up a massive score quickly so the game should have taken place in Ponting's peak so I am guessing the game took place before the 2005 ashes in Pontings captaincy?