• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Onions was added to the original squad to cover for Bresnan, Tremlett and Broad. I would have gone for Woakes as he would cover two of the three because he can bat and had a better season than Onions. With Broad's injury scare we wouldn't have any bowlers who could get runs, if he was unable to play. Also Woakes would be getting practice before the ODIs.
Woakes is injured as well.

FBU

International Debutant
Not anymore. Though obviously the fact he was injured and hasn't played for a while is reason enough to overlook him.

Yes but you could say the same about all of our bowlers, except probably Finn who played in NZ in November. Bresnan will probably be picked for the ODIs with even less bowling than everyone else. At least Woakes will be doing pre-season training with Warks this week.

Woodster

International Captain
I think you may overrate Onions then.
Don't agree on the Onions and Tremlett thing, if they're both fully fit Tremlett is a far more effective bowler and would get my nod every time, even taking pitch conditions into consideration. Onions is a good bowler don't get me wrong but when fit Tremlett is right up there as one off the best bowlers in the world.

Yes, Finn is going to have to work out what type of bowler he's going to be for England because he has it in him to be a out and out speed merchant, run in and bowl as fast as you can, or a line and length guy. Obviously it's about which will bring him more success and he's said in the past he wants to be seen as in the McGrath mold.
Yeah AWTA; Tremlett is a lot better than Onions IMO.
I suppose it's tough to compare the two as they're very different bowlers. There's no doubt in the right conditions Chris Tremlett is up there with the absolute best when he's in good rhythm but I think in these conditions Onions becomes a real possibility. He's an excellent line bowler who may not get prodigious movement but just gets enough nibble and his reverse swing skills could be important. He also has a great engine and in a four-man attack in hot conditions he would not shy away from the hard yards, can bowl long spells without losing much pace.

I'm not necessarily suggesting he should jump ahead of those that were originally selected in the squad, but if they want a similar style of bowler to replace Bresnan then he's probably the most like Bres.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I was being serious in the question. How did they all suddenly become experts in reverse swing? Who taught them reverse swing?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was being serious in the question. How did they all suddenly become experts in reverse swing? Who taught them reverse swing?
Troy Cooley was originally given the plaudits, since then I presume the players have just passed the art on to each other.

If reverse swing is only achieved by cheating then it should be outlawed. I guess it can't be proven one way or another without someone confessing all to the authorities.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Cooley. We are told.

The quesiton of where it got learned form can be asked about all of the bowlers who used reverse swing.