• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
seriously what do you guys think is going through Cooley's head as he sees Siddle and Hilf bowl, y'know, not badly?

Ruckus

International Captain
BTW was thinking over the day and I do think NUFAN's theory about dropping Johnson is really on the money. How often did we see Siddle swing it before this summer? Ever? Now he's hooping it around corners at will (just as many of us thought he should given his seam position)
Yeah but how often has he pitched it up enough? In the Gabba test for instance in 2010 I can recall him getting some swing when he bowled a better length around his hattrick spell. The Johnson theory might have something to do with it, but honestly I think the more bulk changes to his bowling mentality account for it by and large.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I obviously haven't really done any coaching but I thought that would've been part of the fun - getting the most out of someone naturally pretty ****house and seeing them hold their own at a decent level would be pretty rewarding, no?
"It so tests the patience (of which I have little as I'm getting older!)" - Burgey

flibbertyjibber

Serious point, wonder how much money CA will lose from this series with games not going into day 5?

This Perth match will hit the coffers badly.

Burgey

Well I obviously haven't really done any coaching but I thought that would've been part of the fun - getting the most out of someone naturally pretty ****house and seeing them hold their own at a decent level would be pretty rewarding, no?
It is, and it happens. But sometimes they don't get their parents to help or even get interested in having a hit. For some, but by no means all, it's a four hour crèche. But you try your best to teach them the basics as best you can.
Burgey's coaching for his son and that's it imo
I'm probably harder on him than anyone else tbh.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Try to. Though some of the kids I've coached are borderline ******** and shouldn't be on the park tbh. It so tests the patience (of which I have little as I'm getting older!)

But we persist :)

Edit: borderline ******** is harsh. let's say they struggle and should consider other avenues of sporting endeavour.
:laugh:

I've experience the joys of coaching a kid's team a couple of times. Helped out a mate with some coaching at an old club and your description is pretty close to the mark. Two instances stand out:

1) One of the young blokes mucking about and annoying the **** out of me, so I sent him to fine leg. Him (excitedly): "Am I bowling next!?" Me: No...you're just going to fine leg"

2) One of the parents yelling from the boundary "PUT THE GOOD BOWLERS ON" as I was working my way through the instructions on who to bowl from my mate (obviously designed to give everyone a go. Wanted to yell back "WHO'S THE ****ING GOOD BOWLER? THE BLOKE WHO ONLY BOWLS 3 WIDES AN OVER???". But, as you can understand, I had to be a little more restrained.

Was a ****ing ****fight though. Never explored the option of bowling to them in the nets to scare the **** out of them if they played up.

Last edited:

Burgey

:laugh:

I've experience the joys of coaching a kid's team a couple of times. Helped out a mate with some coaching at an old club and you description is pretty close to the mark. Two instances stand out:

1) One of the young blokes mucking about and annoying the **** out of me, so I sent him to fine leg. Him (excitedly): "Am I bowling next!?" Me: No...you're just going to fine leg"

2) One of the parents yelling from the boundary "PUT THE GOOD BOWLERS ON" as I was working my way through the instructions on who to bowl from my mate (obviously designed to give everyone a go. Wanted to yell back "WHO'S THE ****ING GOOD BOWLER? THE BLOKE WHO ONLY BOWLS 3 WIDES AN OVER???". But, as you can understand, I had to be a little more restrained.

Was a ****ing ****fight though. Never explored the option of bowling to them in the nets to scare the **** out of them if they played up.
The terrified look in the eyes when you stand in the nets and point a stump at their back to stop them
Backing away is priceless.

Redbacks

International Captain
One of the parents yelling from the boundary "PUT THE GOOD BOWLERS ON" as I was working my way through the instructions on who to bowl from my mate (obviously designed to give everyone a go. Wanted to yell back "WHO'S THE ****ING GOOD BOWLER? THE BLOKE WHO ONLY BOWLS 3 WIDES AN OVER???". But, as you can understand, I had to be a little more restrained.
ha ha, this is why I always enjoyed coaching yr 8 B's vs my term with the A's, the parents are much less uptight over 'Don' junior.

One of the best teams I coached I started to ration good players inbetween the weaker ones to give everyone a go. 4th week in and they were picking the batting line up and bowling order themselves at school during the week and doing a very fair job of it. Easiest job in the world and they got a real kick out of it.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
God it's so frustrating. I've actually asked one fella if he deliberately does the opposite of what he's asked to do just to annoy me.
LOL I can imagine..I haven't been a coach but used to play cricket in a team whose fielding would make Pakistan's fielders Jonty Rhodes...and I invariably had people dropping catches of my bowling.. Once there was this batsman who was smashing all of us.. he smashed me for two 4s, asked me to fetch the ball...I bowl a slower ball next ball, he scoops it to cover and he drops it.. Next one went for a 6.

I wanted to run away from the field after that over.

Spikey

take it to the "oh my god I can't believe I volunteered to help coach a children's cricket team" thread ****s

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
LOL I can imagine..I haven't been a coach but used to play cricket in a team whose fielding would make Pakistan's fielders Jonty Rhodes...and I invariably had people dropping catches of my bowling.. Once there was this batsman who was smashing all of us.. he smashed me for two 4s, asked me to fetch the ball...I bowl a slower ball next ball, he scoops it to cover and he drops it.. Next one went for a 6.

Yeah terrible catching is unacceptable at any level IMO. Having your players cost runs in the field with poor athleticism etc is one thing but when they start costing you wickets regularly it's too much to bare and really unforgivable if it's a regular thing.

Burgey

How about the player who wanders around in the field? Had a game pre Christmas where a lad chased a ball from mid off to extra cover. Bowler bowls the next ball and it's chipped as a dolly to mid off. Everyone turns around waiting for the catch and the kid is still at cover.

Tbf he'd have hurt himself when the ball hit his head as he tried to catch it.

Burgey

Yeah terrible catching is unacceptable at any level IMO. Having your players cost runs in the field with poor athleticism etc is one thing but when they start costing you wickets regularly it's too much to bare and really unforgivable if it's a regular thing.
When they're really young it's concentration though. You hit a hundred catches to them mid week but in the games they just drift off unless they're keen or not mentally deficient. That and they get a skier and they crap themselves.

Last edited: