• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone who knows more about the physical strains of bowling more than me should comment (Top_Cat etc) but I'd not do it, he needs the off-season to get his body way stronger than it currently is (and ofc fix his action)
They don't want to do too much with the action. Cooley tried this with Anderson and it set him back 2 or 3 years.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's a difference between tweaking an action to make someone bowl better and tweaking an action so they can actually bowl, though.

Plus, he's 18. His action won't be entirely set in stone yet.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's a difference between tweaking an action to make someone bowl better and tweaking an action so they can actually bowl, though.

Plus, he's 18. His action won't be entirely set in stone yet.
Cooley's tinkering with Anderson was for the prevention of injury as well, though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cooley's tinkering with Anderson was for the prevention of injury as well, though.
And Anderson ended up missing the 2006 season as a result of stress fractures.

Since his return to the side against New Zealand in 2008, I reckon you could count on one hand the number of games where Anderson hasn't been available for selection thanks to injury.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And Anderson ended up missing the 2006 season as a result of stress fractures.

Since his return to the side against New Zealand in 2008, I reckon you could count on one hand the number of games where Anderson hasn't been available for selection thanks to injury.
Indeed. What a great idea that was.

Uppercut

Flintoff refused to change his unsustainable action and spent the last four years of his career on the sidelines as a result.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is Ajmal the Botha clone?
a much better version, and with a marginally better action i would say
Not a lot in it, tbh. The Spanish Archer is by far the better spinner (one hesitates to say "bowler" for the obvious reason, etc), but his action doesn't gain much in comparsion with Botha's, IMHO.

Thought it was partly head position too? IIRC Cooley wanted Jimmeh to end his action so he could see where he was bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not a lot in it, tbh. The Spanish Archer is by far the better spinner (one hesitates to say "bowler" for the obvious reason, etc), but his action doesn't gain much in comparsion with Botha's, IMHO.

Thought it was partly head position too? IIRC Cooley wanted Jimmeh to end his action so he could see where he was bowling.
Yeah; it was a two birds with one stone kinda thing.

benchmark00

Someone who knows more about the physical strains of bowling more than me should comment (Top_Cat etc) but I'd not do it, he needs the off-season to get his body way stronger than it currently is (and ofc fix his action)

EDIT: I haven't seen much of Pattinson's state stuff where he's a bang-it-in merchant but fmd his Test stuff... a few tweaks here and there, work on his first spell rhythm and you'd be hard pressed to find a more complete fast bowler.
Very basically putting it, how your back foot lands dictates how much force will be sent through your lower back.

tbf, I haven't looked extremely closely at Cummins' action to point out specifically how he's landing and how his top half is looking on point of impact, but just by looking at him you can tell he gets himself into some high stress positions. He'll definitely need that adjusted, but that's not too hard to do.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If South Africa find a spinner and sort Morkel out they're in business.

A lot easier said than done though obvz.

As an attack, does Australia beat them out you reckon guys? From what we've seen they have better depth atm (though SA may have gems hidden away).
It's hard to say. South Africa's best three bowlers are excellent but they don't really have much after that so if someone gets injured they'd be a lot more vulnerable than Australia would be currently. I'd definitely take South Africa's attack over Australia's current attack but add Watson back in as the fifth bowler and it's pretty close.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
West Indies getting overrated all over a sudden.

Roach has regressed, Sammy is a constant part of the attack and their spinners tend to disappoint. Rampaul and Edwards are promising but fitness is always an issue.
How are the WI attack being overrated? :huh: we took out Pakistan in the Tests for modest scores in three out of the four innings, before that we made SL follow on IN SL, we also took out India around the 250 mark five times both home and away, all on tracks that were nowhere near as pace friendly as the current Aus pitches,

As for the spinners, well Bishoo was in the top three wickets takers of 2011!!..so i'm not sure how he disappointed us, he may not have had a great time in India but there's not many visiting spinners who have over the years.

I think our attack has done great considering we've been stuck with Sammy for a year, once he's shipped out (which will be soon hopefully) then i can see our attack going from strength to strength.

With our spin options i believe we're around 5th in the rankings,

England
SA
Aus/Pak
WI
NZ/India
SL
Zim
Bang

Would be my order but i guess everyone has their own opinions :D .

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Even with Watson in I'll take South Africa's conclusively in terms of average of all conditions. Philander looks a pretty decent improvement in their 3rd seamer slot and Tahir doesn't look bad either. Plus their top bowlers are lot more proven in all conditions right now and more experienced. (Steyn is ofcourse Steyn.)

Even in terms of depth Delange doesn't seem the worst first choice backup or Tsotsobe the 2nd. Neither is Kallis the worst 5th choice bowling option.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
England
SA
Aus/Pak
WI
NZ/India
SL
Zim
Bang

Would be my order but i guess everyone has their own opinions :D .
Yeah. Would pretty much agree with this ranking. Aus seamers looking ominous in this series so I might rate them much higher than the Pakistan lot.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Flintoff refused to change his unsustainable action and spent the last four years of his career on the sidelines as a result.
Backtracking a bit, but how exactly was Flintoff's action particularly unsustainable? Always looked alright to me, as far as 6-foot-plus fast bowlers go.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Backtracking a bit, but how exactly was Flintoff's action particularly unsustainable? Always looked alright to me, as far as 6-foot-plus fast bowlers go.
His front foot points inwards when he delivers the ball and then he goes over on it, causing stress on his ankle and knee, down to muscle and bone working against each other.

FBU

International Debutant
Over the last 5 years

38 Tests 6048.5 overs 635 wickets at 30.15 econ 3.16 s/r 57.1 25 5fers 3 10fers - South Africa
48 Tests 7818.4 overs 783 wickets at 30.71 econ 3.07 s/r 59.9 37 5fers 3 10fers - England
50 Tests 8427.5 overs 824 wickets at 32.40 econ 3.16 s/r 61.3 32 5fers 3 10fers - Australia
29 Tests 4979.4 overs 467 wickets at 33.00 econ 3.09 s/r 63.9 17 5fers 1 10fer - Pakistan
3 Tests 546.1 overs 49 wickets at 35.14 econ 3.15 s/r 66.8 1 5fer 0 10fers - Zimbabwe
33 Tests 5838.4 overs 491 wickets at 35.69 econ 3.00 s/r 71.3 15 5fers 0 10fers - New Zealand
49 Tests 8628.1 overs 733 wickets at 37.81 econ 3.21 s/r 70.6 22 5fers 3 10fers - India
35 Tests 5654.3 overs 469 wickets at 39.05 econ 3.23 s/r 72.3 21 5fers 3 10fers - Sri Lanka
37 Tests 5973.1 overs475 wickets at 40.93 econ 3.25 s/r 75.4 16 5fers 0 10fers - West Indies
24 Tests 3857.5 overs 290 wickets at 44.95 econ 3.37 s/r 79.8 15 5fers 0 10fers - Bangladesh