• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Compare the attacks he got them against and compare that with the England one and think again.:D

Had to chuckle at Taylor and Slater bigging up the Aussie attack as if it is worldbeating. Have they forgotten what happened 12 months ago?
Australia's attack looks the goods tbf. That's a bit like saying Anderson can't be good because he was **** in 2006.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The main thing is they are now getting consistent movement, and a lot of it is through the air. It's a ridiculous transformation, and they deserve a bloody lot of credit for it. This time last year England was moving the ball all through their bowling innings while our blokes went gun barrel. This year, for whatever reason, they're mostly moving it about with new and old ball.
The main reason for this is no Mitchell Johnson. Sure, the bowlers are pitching it up more and McDermott has helped in that regard, but Johnson scuffed the ball so much with his action and scrambled seam (I think that's what caused it) that it had an impact on the other bowlers ability as the ball wasn't kept in that great a condition.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alarming thought in a way as we would probably not have the skipper in the side now as he wouldn't have got back in after his slump.

Gambhir is another with dreadful footwork at the moment. Stick him in pyjamas he is fine but in tests he is like a rabbit trapped in the headlights at present.
Yeah, that mountain of runs that Strauss has piled up @ 30 over the past 2 years would really be hard to replace:laugh:

Subhadeep

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Warner scored 180 in a match where the second highest individual score has been 70 odd and there have been only 2 batsmen who have scored more than 50 out of the 24 wickets which have fallen. Surely, he deserves some praise. And to talk of the attack, Zaheer and Umesh have been pretty good. Don't think that a particular Tim Bresnan would have done much better.

TNT

Banned
Caught the last hours play on SKY while having Brekkie.

Everything was going well for the Aussies until some arogant bastard started a TV poll on whether it would all be over in 2 days (don't think another wicket went down after that). I would have thought the Aussies would have learnt not to take things for granted. Remember Headingly 81!
Yeah but sometimes you can take things for granted, remember 89,'90',93,'94,97, 98; 01, 02. :D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know we aren't invincible but our 2nd string attack is better than the ones Warner has scored runs against. When he does it against a good attack I will be impressed, until then the doubts remain.
New Zealand's attack in the conditions Warner faced them in were definitely "a good attack".

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think there's much between Australia's and South Africa's tbh. Australia certainly have far more depth.
Depth yes, but no spinner of note at all and Siddle and Hilfenhaus are hardly going to strike fear in English hearts if they roll up next year in the same attack seeing as we have beaten them twice already.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The main reason for this is no Mitchell Johnson. Sure, the bowlers are pitching it up more and McDermott has helped in that regard, but Johnson scuffed the ball so much with his action and scrambled seam (I think that's what caused it) that it had an impact on the other bowlers ability as the ball wasn't kept in that great a condition.
Interesting theory.

Spark

Global Moderator
Depth yes, but no spinner of note at all and Siddle and Hilfenhaus are hardly going to strike fear in English hearts if they roll up next year in the same attack seeing as we have beaten them twice already.
Again, judge the bowlers on the bowling, not the name.

Ruckus

International Captain
Think this is extremely harsh on the NZ attack tbh who for whatever their faults elsewhere bowled seriously well at Hobart. Judge on the quality of the bowling, not the quality of the names.

Yeah precisely. I have no time for that argument. The conditions were tough not just because the pitch was doing a lot, but because the NZ bowlers were bowling well. The second highest score in that match was Brownlie's 56 (who also played exceptionally well).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not getting too excited yet but Harris, current Hilf and Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Cummins matches up against anybody

I'm not even that concerned about Lyon as he is technically very good and should improve with experience

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New Zealand's attack in the conditions Warner faced them in were definitely "a good attack".
Ok, which members of that attack would get into the England 2nd string attack of Finn, Tremlett, Onions and Panesar (presuming Bresnan was fit to be in main attack with Anderson, Broad and Swann)