• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

L Trumper

State Regular
Curious you should say that Strauss and KP are only OK against spin, last test series we had in India I recall them 2 do doing quite well, along with a certain Man of supposedly limited talent.
No just that! People also conveniently forget england's relative success in SC, even when they were poor.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I would say nil.
Not so sure. I don't think it's been established who the next cab off the rank is after Onions. Woakes, probz but Brooks and Meaker are currently playing for the Loins and Dernbach is the man in possession in the limited overs sides, so I don't think Rankin getting a call is a nil percenter. He doesn't lose much in comparison with any of them and, I'd guess, has a better FC record than all save Woakes too.

Jacknife

International Captain
Curious you should say that Strauss and KP are only OK against spin, last test series we had in India I recall them 2 do doing quite well, along with a certain Man of supposedly limited talent.
KP's got mental issues with the left arm variety but over the years he's monstered all the other types of spin.

Jacknife

International Captain
Not so sure. I don't think it's been established who the next cab off the rank is after Onions. Woakes, probz but Brooks and Meaker are currently playing for the Loins and Dernbach is the man in possession in the limited overs sides, so I don't think Rankin getting a call is a nil percenter. He doesn't lose much in comparison with any of them and, I'd guess, has a better FC record than all save Woakes too.
I'd personally rather have James Harris than Rankin, better bowler and he's English.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Harris is injured at the moment thats why he is not in Bangladesh. Woakes is apparently fully fit though now according to his blog. Would be more of a Bres replacement as well.

Jacknife

International Captain
Harris is injured at the moment thats why he is not in Bangladesh. Woakes is apparently fully fit though now according to his blog. Would be more of a Bres replacement as well.
Did wonder where Harris was. Woakes would be more of a like for like replacement for Bresnan like you say and if he is fully fit I'd defo be getting him out there just in case of more injuries.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His batting could be a factor, actually, yeah. Especially if Swanneh is properly crocked.

Team England are talking down his thigh strain, but then management rarely talk up an injury, do they?

Shorn of Bresnan and Swann our lower order looks a whole lot less impressive.

Broad
Tremlett
Anderson
Panesar

Not the worst I've seen, but no more than decent. If Tremmers's eye infection is really that bad Woakes at nine would give it a more solid look. Not sure the UAE is his kinda bowling conditions tho.

Woodster

International Captain
Not sure we should be worrying too much about the composition of our 8,9,10 and 11 in terms of batting strength, especially in the UAE. The top order really has to get the big runs and most lower orders would struggle picking Ajmal's variations anyway. If Woakes is considered the next best bowler for these conditions, then fine, but wouldn't give him the nod over a more favoured bowling option on the strength of his batting.

Think we should be ok in compiling decent totals (without wanting to jinx us!), it's taking the 20 wickets where we're going to have to work really hard and need good bowling options. Pleased Onions is now staying with the squad.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
His batting could be a factor, actually, yeah. Especially if Swanneh is properly crocked.

Team England are talking down his thigh strain, but then management rarely talk up an injury, do they?

Shorn of Bresnan and Swann our lower order looks a whole lot less impressive.

Broad
Tremlett
Anderson
Panesar

Not the worst I've seen, but no more than decent. If Tremmers's eye infection is really that bad Woakes at nine would give it a more solid look. Not sure the UAE is his kinda bowling conditions tho.
yes i'd prefer woakes one above broad as he bats more like a batsman and is more responsible. Broad is best when he can just whack it around. but i imagine Woakes bowling will be pretty innocuous on these wickets

I still have nightmares about monty's batting and fielding.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can't really talk in English, but if they abuse me or say something to me, I like to give it back to them. They keep slagging me off and I keep slagging them off.
Mohammed Shahzad on sledging.

FBU

International Debutant
The Sun

Graeme Swann breathed a sigh of relief after a scan showed no major damage to his left thigh.
Spinner Swann, 32, was preparing to play in today's final practice match against a Pakistan Cricket Board XI after receiving the good news last night.