• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsmen who made batting look the most arduous and difficult

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he was faced by a spinner, or better still a modest medium pacer, Chris Old used to make batting look pretty straightforward and he was by no means the worst batsman I've ever seen, not quite an all-rounder, but not far away, certainly at county level - if a bowler had a bit of pace though he backed away to leg more than anyone I can ever recall seeing, save possibly dear old Bhagwat Chandrasekhar, but at least Chandra had no pretensions to being a batsman

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he was faced by a spinner, or better still a modest medium pacer, Chris Old used to make batting look pretty straightforward and he was by no means the worst batsman I've ever seen, not quite an all-rounder, but not far away, certainly at county level - if a bowler had a bit of pace though he backed away to leg more than anyone I can ever recall seeing, save possibly dear old Bhagwat Chandrasekhar, but at least Chandra had no pretensions to being a batsman
The bloke hit six tons; hard to not call him an allrounder based on that, no matter how much he hated fast bowling. It only strengthens your case though, of course.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
If everybody batted like Chanderpaul i'm sure kids would avoid it like the plague, he made it look so complicated. Has somebody already pointed him out?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Chilly was a bit before my time, but the biggest backer-awayer I've seen was Tuffers. The fixed picture in my mind's eye is him, guards on both forearms, backing away to leg to expose all three stumps whilst gingerly wafting a bat vaguely in the ball's direction.

Tufnell had fewer pretensions as a batsman, obviously, but I do recall reading (or maybe hearing) that he opened for his club side. Sounded apocryphal, but so windy was he it was pretty hard to see what ability he may've had.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've never seen someone struggle so much like Dravid in Australia 07/08.

Was forced to open though to make way for Yuvraj who was absolutely ****house so we'll just blame Yuvraj for that and move on.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For someone who actually plays a fair amount of attractive shots Jonathan Trott very rarely makes batting look effortless but when he is struggling things turn really ugly. That innings he played opening against Bangladesh was about as arduous as you can get, fear when he hits a really bad patch, which is bound to happen eventually.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Dravid is odd he's had two horrible tours to Australia and in between those two tours there is a series which could rank among the best bating efforts by a batsman on an Australian tour. His 4th tour is also following the same pattern to the 1st and 3rd.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid is odd he's had two horrible tours to Australia and in between those two tours there is a series which could rank among the best bating efforts by a batsman on an Australian tour. His 4th tour is also following the same pattern to the 1st and 3rd.
Yeah Dravid has been strange like that in the last 5-6 years, then he plays like he did in England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not really that odd if you look at the bowling attack he faced on that second tour.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The series without Warne & McGrath ?
Brisbane Test - Gillespie, Bracken, Bichel and MacGill
Adelaide Test - Gillespie, Williams, Bracken and MacGill
Melbourne Test - Lee*, Bracken, Williams and MacGill
Sydney Test - Lee*, Gillespie, Bracken and MacGill

Lee was just coming back from injury and completely under-done - he bowled 24 no balls in Sydney and 13 in Melbourne.

Dravid batted well; don't get me wrong. But he Gillespie and Lee carrying injuries plus Bracken, Williams and Bichel is not usually the test against fast bowling a batsman faces in Australia or indeed what he's faced on the other tours; the only completely fit bowler of any note he played at the time was MacGill.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lee, Gillispie, Mcgill. Not much worse then 2007 or even this attack.
They only played one Test all together and Lee bowled the worst he did in his career at any point in that series in his premature return from injury. They would've honestly been better off keeping both Bracken and Williams in the team; he was that bad.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, if Lee was as rusty as you say, that Melbourne attack must go close to it's weakest of all time.

kingkallis

International Coach
Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Sanath Jayasuriya, Navjot Sidhu, Gary Kirsten, Younis Khan ( Oh yeah! He puts in hell lot of effort to play the forward defense shot )

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Lee was just coming back from injury and completely under-done - he bowled 24 no balls in Sydney and 13 in Melbourne.

Dravid batted well; don't get me wrong. But he Gillespie and Lee carrying injuries plus Bracken, Williams and Bichel is not usually the test against fast bowling a batsman faces in Australia or indeed what he's faced on the other tours; the only completely fit bowler of any note he played at the time was MacGill.
Bracken did not play in Adelaide Prince, Bichel did.

Anyway, the problem with this is you judge on names.

A classic case is the fact that Australia bowled far better in Melbourne than they did in Brisbane, yet on paper Brisbane's attack is supposedly better.

Had Dravid tonned up in Melbourne people could have easily said he only did it against Hilf, Siddle and an inexperienced Pattinson. Yet they bowled damn well didn't they?

Better to actually watch the bowling, not base it on paper. A ton against Steyn bowling crap is not as good as a ton against a Sreesanth who despite generally being ****, may have been on his game that day.
Yep.. And India still lost.
Because the Australia attack in Melbourne bowled better than the Sydney and Adelaide attack.

Last edited: