• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think what will keep Tendulkar going is the fact that from all reports he doesn't have much of a life outside of cricket. Being who he is means he has limited friends and even more limited private life.
Yeah sorry I meant Sehwag, should have phrased it better.

This is such a great point and one my mates and I discussed at the Boxing Day test.

Honestly he lives in a bubble. It is pure speculation, but I personally believe Sachin loves fielding at the boundary not only because he's pretty good at it for someone his age and better than most in the team, but also because he loves just being by himself. I watch him when he's at the boundary a bit when I go to live games, it's quite interesting to see.

I don't think any of us can imagine what it is like to be him, and whilst many on this forum like to give him **** because of all the attention he gets, his life is significantly different to every other cricketer. It seems it is only family and cricket to him. That is everything in his life. When the time comes that he wants to stop playing cricket and just be with his family is when he will retire I guess.

What is certain is he won't be commentating ala Ganguly or being an administrator ala Kumble/Dravid (soon to be).
Yeah agreed, he doesn't have that much of interest in any thing except Cricket. Though, i disagree that he doesn't have friends. He has more friends in high circles than anyone in the team. The likes of Ambani's, Shahrukh Khan, Subroto Roy(Sahara) are all his friends. Is also friendly with International stars like Roger Federer, Tiger Woods etc...
Certainly more friendlier/bubblier personality than someone like Dravid/Laxman, though he can't be much outgoing due to who he is.

In anycase out of the 3 for me Dravid should retire first, especially with all matches now being played at home for a while now(and no matches outside SC till 2013 end). Laxman's future should depend on his performances over the coming period. Shouldn't really force all out at once, or could have bigger problems.
Also Sehwag still has to show since his comeback that the hunger is still there, as his feet movement has gotten slower which needs to be corrected.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agreed, he doesn't have that much of interest in any thing except Cricket. Though, i disagree that he doesn't have friends. He has more friends in high circles than anyone in the team. The likes of Ambani's, Shahrukh Khan, Subroto Roy(Sahara) are all his friends. Is also friendly with International stars like Roger Federer, Tiger Woods etc...
Certainly more friendlier/bubblier personality than someone like Dravid/Laxman, though he can't be much outgoing due to who he is.
In the latest edition of Inside Cricket magazine, there is an interview with Greg Chappell on his stint as Indian coach. They specifically ask him about Sachin.

He retells a conversation he had with Tendulkar where Chappell said to him something like "you must have millions of friends in India. How do you make time to see them all?"

To with Sachin replied with "Greg, you would have more friends in India than I do."

Pretty sure Sachin doesn't ring up Federer and Tiger and ask them to come around and play some board games.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
In the latest edition of Inside Cricket magazine, there is an interview with Greg Chappell on his stint as Indian coach. They specifically ask him about Sachin.

He retells a conversation he had with Tendulkar where Chappell said to him something like "you must have millions of friends in India. How do you make time to see them all?"

To with Sachin replied with "Greg, you would have more friends in India than I do."

Pretty sure Sachin doesn't ring up Federer and Tiger and ask him to come around and play some board games.
AWTA. He gets to know a lot of people but friends I do not know. Remember reading somewhere that most of his friends were people he met before he became a star.

Burgey

Pretty sure Sachin doesn't ring up Federer and Tiger and ask him to come around and play some board games.
Sounds like a bit of a prick, tbh.

Xuhaib

International Coach
when you have so much money like he does why would you have a need to make friends. He can spend the next 40 years of his life going on cruises with his family providing mentoring to young kids and doing a lot of charity work, seems like an ideal retirement life to me.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Haha yeah!! I said he was only friendly with them. Obviously, they are in different countries doing their own thing.

He has a select group of friends who are friends from start.before of his careers and some others like Ambani's, Roy's, Aamir Khan who are eminent persons themselves and busy(so can't come play board games at first call. :p). Plus ofcourse, the other cricketers/playing staff.

I think the context in which Chappell is saying that is that it is almost impossible for him to make friends who are not someone of note themselves(and make really close new friends) and do something in public(or even go). Not that he doesn't have any friends at all and locks himself at home doing nothing.
His wife is a famous doctor who has family friends too and they do go to private parties organised by Ambani's, Aamir, Shahrukh, Sahara etc.. on occasions whenever they are free + he has kids.

The point though i agree is that major part of his life revolves around Cricket, whether it be playing or practicing and he is so used to it that he would find it difficult to fill that vacuum with all the attention/pressure on him(which i can see remaining for a while even if he retires).

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
According to his twitter quotes, his closest friend in Mumbai is India's most famous fashion photographer Atul Kasbekar.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Neil Harvey's interview in a Bengali newspaper is to be believed, he said:

1. Bradman is the best-ever by a long distance and Tendulkar is the 2nd best definitely.
2. Ponting is not in the same class as Tendulkar.
3. Ray Lindwall is the best Australian pace bowler ever.
4. Alec Bedser is the best medium pacer he has seen.
5. Ponting should have retired 6 months ago.
6. Tendulkar should retire within a few months.
7. Tendulkar won't score a century in Perth. He has lost that golden touch he had when he was young. His feet aren't moving as quickly. He can score a century in Adelaide though. He will continue to make merry in the SC and not-so-green wickets outside SC. But he has lost the touch required to play those superb innings on tough wickets.
8. Ponting hasn't batted well during his hundred in Sydney.
9. India will struggle again in Perth.

Source: ?????????? ??????? - ???? (in Bengali)
it certainly sounds like a neil harvey interview
You could basically replace everything he says with "cricket was better in my day" and you'd get the same amount of information, tbh.
I actually reckon that's the most composed and least ridiculous Harvey interview ever if that's indeed what he said. Nothing there is outlandish at all.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's still a bit ridiculous. Ponting didn't bat well during his hundred at Sydney? Had almost no false shots, far fewer than Clarke in fact on the first evening when Clarke was in a more attacking mode than him. OK, it wasn't his most fluent but it was very composed. Tendulkar no longer has the ability to play superb innings on tough wickets? Must have lost it some time last year then, because he sure as hell had it last January.

Burgey

when you have so much money like he does why would you have a need to make friends. He can spend the next 40 years of his life going on cruises with his family providing mentoring to young kids and doing a lot of charity work, seems like an ideal retirement life to me.
Or just buy a 60 foot Scarab and host Bunga Bunga parties on it every night

Xuhaib

International Coach
I saw only the first 30 runs of his innings and I thought he was setting himself up for an LB dismissal for some reason Zaheer bowled quite poorly to him during that stage.

benchmark00

I saw only the first 30 runs of his innings and I thought he was setting himself up for an LB dismissal for some reason Zaheer bowled quite poorly to him during that stage.
Ponting has always been prone to LBW early in his innings. By saying that, you would then have to say Ponting has never batted well in his career.

He batted flawlessly, regardless of the quality of bowling. Harvey obviously wrote Ponting off a few months ago and doesn't want to admit he's wrong.