• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

adharcric

International Coach
Adharcric is one of my favourite ever members; I'm so glad to see him back. One of the guys who helped me transform from a part-time CWer into a regular; so you can blame him if you like. :p

Re: Laxman though; I would've thought a match in which Ponting and Hussey hit tons should teach us, if anything, not to over-react to poor patches of form merely due to the age of the cricketer(s) involved. Everyone goes through poor patches throughout their careers and they don't suddenly become terminal once you hit 35 or so. Laxman's always had it in him to be dismissed cheaply in consecutive innings, and in the last series he played he averaged 99. He was poor in England (as was everyone else) and he's been poor here so far but lets not get ahead of ourselves about it, especially given what he did in between.
Haha, I had no idea - appreciate that.

As for Laxman, fair enough and given that a draw is still on the cards, I'm alright with Laxman getting another match. His feet do look slower than usual and his runs on the previous tour when just about everyone scored against a weak opposition don't carry much weight for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if a man with his track record came back strong in Perth. That said, I think Manjrekar has a point and if Sharma comes in (which should be a given after Sydney), I don't think it's necessarily Kohli who should get the chop. Laxman's probably not going to be around much longer, so I'd rather give the young core more exposure in testing conditions. Tough call, but I'm fine either way for Perth - no doubt our best XI includes Laxman over Kohli.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
rebuilding is important but I do think it should be after the series even if it ends at 2-2 I would still put one of the big 3 on the chopper most possibly Laxman

Shri

Mr. Glass
Laxman should be dropped only when they decide who gets an extended run at the #6 spot. A test line up shouldn't have a lot of uncertainties and it will only cause stability problems. Tendulkar could probably play till he is 42 and leave once the rest of the batting order looks settled.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Laxman should retire since there are no more runners in international cricket.

The best way for Laxman to perform is:

a) do his back
b) get a runner
c) win in 4th innings chase.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How long after he gets his 100th hundred do people think Tendulkar will go on for?
Haha this question is set up for either "he won't get his 100th hundred" or "depends when he gets his 100th hundred".

Personally I'll go on the record and say Sachin will definitely well and truly outlast Dravid and VVS by at least 18 months, and he may even outlast Sehwag. Can see Sehwag pulling the pin on his career earlier than most.

Didn't Sehwag come out and say he would think about retirement when he plays 100 tests?

EDIT: Yes he did - http://cricket.rediff.com/report/20...er-playing-100-tests-says-virender-sehwag.htm

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha this question is set up for either "he won't get his 100th hundred" or "depends when he gets his 100th hundred".

Personally I'll go on the record and say Sachin will definitely well and truly outlast Dravid and VVS by at least 18 months, and he may even outlast Sehwag. Can see Sehwag pulling the pin on his career earlier than most.

Didn't he come out and say he would think about retirement when he plays 100 tests?

EDIT: Yes he did - I may retire after playing 100 Tests: Sehwag - Rediff.com Sports
200 tests you mean?

I think what will keep Tendulkar going is the fact that from all reports he doesn't have much of a life outside of cricket. Being who he is means he has limited friends and even more limited private life.

Personally I think he'll pull the pin within 18 months of getting his next hundred.

Edit: you meant Sehwag I see.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah sorry I meant Sehwag, should have phrased it better.
I think what will keep Tendulkar going is the fact that from all reports he doesn't have much of a life outside of cricket. Being who he is means he has limited friends and even more limited private life.
This is such a great point and one my mates and I discussed at the Boxing Day test.

Honestly he lives in a bubble. It is pure speculation, but I personally believe Sachin loves fielding at the boundary not only because he's pretty good at it for someone his age and better than most in the team, but also because he loves just being by himself. I watch him when he's at the boundary a bit when I go to live games, it's quite interesting to see.

I don't think any of us can imagine what it is like to be him, and whilst many on this forum like to give him **** because of all the attention he gets, his life is significantly different to every other cricketer. It seems it is only family and cricket to him. That is everything in his life. When the time comes that he wants to stop playing cricket and just be with his family is when he will retire I guess.

What is certain is he won't be commentating ala Ganguly or being an administrator ala Kumble/Dravid (soon to be).

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah sorry I meant Sehwag, should have phrased it better.

This is such a great point and one my mates and I discussed at the Boxing Day test.

Honestly he lives in a bubble. It is pure speculation, but I personally believe Sachin loves fielding at the boundary not only because he's pretty good at it for someone his age and better than most in the team, but also because he loves just being by himself. I watch him when he's at the boundary a bit when I go to live games, it's quite interesting to see.

I don't think any of us can imagine what it is like to be him, and whilst many on this forum like to give him **** because of all the attention he gets, his life is significantly different to every other cricketer. It seems it is only family and cricket to him. That is everything in his life. When the time comes that he wants to stop playing cricket and just be with his family is when he will retire I guess.

What is certain is he won't be commentating ala Ganguly or being an administrator ala Kumble/Dravid (soon to be).
the quintessential (once) middle class Maharashtrian :)

Spark

Global Moderator
Marsh in Doubt

Given the way he nicks the ball, I suggest a like-for-like replacement in Phil Hughes
Haha really? His dismissals haven't been Hughes-like at all.

EDIT: I have heard whispers that Tendulkar's close friends do fear what will become of him once he retires and he's not playing cricket any more. Presumably he'll end up staying in the game in some other capacity.

Last edited: