• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finn was dropped for a gun bowler with a good long-term record in professional cricket though; I supported that decision.

If De Lange actually had more than two performances of note in his entire professional career then it'd be a lot different. There's no need to rush someone like that if you have Morkel - and trust me, I've been of the biggest Morkel detractors on this forum traditionally. Ask Uppercut.
I can't remember ever arguing with you about Morkel, even though I've generally been one of his biggest defenders.

I think a lot of people still haven't forgiven him for his spewy performances against Australia in '08/'09. If his next series against England had been his debut he'd be a lot more popular.

Himannv

International Coach
Avoided an innings defeat here thanks largely to Samaraweera.

Since it's pretty much over now, positives for the series:

- Samaraweera proved himself to the haters. In epic fashion.
- Chandimal has taken his chance and will hopefully feature consistently in the side now.
- Welegedara and Herath have bowled well for most part.
- Paranavithana got dropped.

As for the other side of the coin:

- Dilshan is obviously not suitable for the captaincy. New captain please.
- Mahela didn't get enough runs.
- Kaushal Silva didn't make the most of his chances
- Still missing a standout bowler or two.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't remember ever arguing with you about Morkel, even though I've generally been one of his biggest defenders.

I think a lot of people still haven't forgiven him for his spewy performances against Australia in '08/'09. If his next series against England had been his debut he'd be a lot more popular.
We did argue about him. I never said he should be dropped; just that he really wasn't all that good and that it meant South Africa's attack was too reliant on Steyn and could be overtaken by England's. I can imagine why you'd not want to remember that. :ph34r:

Uppercut

:ph34r:

That must have been some time ago. I do remember arguing that South Africa had the better opening partnership. Although they have always had an uncanny ability to add up to much less than the sum of their parts.

morgieb

If I were to rank players on their performance this series...

South Africa:

Smith 4
Rudolph 5
Peterson 9
Amla 5
Kallis 7.5
de Villers 9
Prince 2.5
Boucher 3.5
Philander 10
Steyn 8
Morkel 5