• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh my god i just had the horrible thought of marsh being dropped for christan @ perth

Spark

Global Moderator
While I certainly agree with you more than her, I don't think this post is entirely truthful. Even had this knock came in the first innings of the match then the game would be much more of a contest than it currently is so the bit about "unless you're chasing a high score" is wrong IMO.
There's also the fact that no doubt batsmen have endured much longer and trickier periods that Clarke had to put up with from Yadav and Sharma.
I'm only playing devil's advocate as I think it's an absolutely blinding knock myself.
The point is though once a innings reaches a certain size, say, 250+, it becomes a mauling almost by definition, so it's churlish to complain about the bowling being feasted on - because well, duh, otherwise he wouldn't have such a huge score!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't understand why people are talking about dropping Lyon. Australia need a spinner for the future..no one plays 4 pacers these days, Lyon is young, has potential..the only way he will improve is by playing more cricket..even if he gets smashed and hammered.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand why people are talking about dropping Lyon. Australia need a spinner for the future..no one plays 4 pacers these days, Lyon is young, has potential..the only way he will improve is by playing more cricket..even if he gets smashed and hammered.
Should always play your four best bowlers etc etc and getting slaughtered by the Indians wont help him or the team

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Should always play your four best bowlers etc etc and getting slaughtered by the Indians wont help him or the team
If that is the case then this is the best opportunity for him to gain confidence..when the Indians are down, facing a deficit of over 300 runs..2 wickets down.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Resigning myself to the fact that India will be the 4th best test team in the world in the next decade.

uvelocity

International Coach
Well how good was that. Well done skipper.

And to think there were arguments on here with some trying to say Aussies play cricket for personal records. Discussion closed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Went to day 3 at Edgbaston. Wish that Strauss declared when Clarke did, would have made for a much better day of watching.

But, I was thinking all day, give them 45 minutes before the end of the day to sort out. Declare at the next drinks break. Or maybe a half hour before tea. Then again, maybe Clarke just had enough of facing defensive plans - maybe Dhoni's a tactical genius, he bored them to death.

uvelocity

International Coach
Yeah I like a last session mid session declaration, but there is a bit of rain around apparently. Clarke also showing due respect to batsmen who are capable of doing anything still. (except finger boy of course)

Hopefully we rout india ffirst dig at radelaide and he gets the record there.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Should Indians? mind a big loss in this series?

A series loss here will move Indian cricket forward imo with some very much needed changes taking place in the side the team seems to have stagnated for a while now.
Nah, India aren't due to play outside the subcontinent for 2 years or something.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see Lyon getting more wickets, but the quicks have been going so well that he's not getting very much bowling in at times. It'll be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow and Saturday if required.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The point is though once a innings reaches a certain size, say, 250+, it becomes a mauling almost by definition, so it's churlish to complain about the bowling being feasted on - because well, duh, otherwise he wouldn't have such a huge score!
Yeah but I think Briony's point was that point came when Clarke was on about 80 rather than 250.l

Doctor

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd like to see Lyon getting more wickets, but the quicks have been going so well that he's not getting very much bowling in at times. It'll be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow and Saturday if required.
I would really like to see Lyon, a potential long-term spinner, given more of a chance against the Indians, so he can prove his class on Australian soil. In that over against Sehwag (that over that went for ~13 runs), he showed promise by not being afraid to keep pitching it up, and he almost had him caught.

Last edited: