• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spark

Global Moderator
Following up that crazy 151 in SA with a sublime unbeaten 329, Clarke's been ridiculously good. What he always promised.
Genuine question - which innings do people think is better now? Both utterly effortless innings.

Doctor

School Boy/Girl Captain

Clarke trying to bowl with his helmet, though it seems he's trying to bowl it from a right-hander's run-up. That exhaustive innings has really muddled up his mind.

Ruckus

International Captain
Genuine question - which innings do people think is better now? Both utterly effortless innings.
Definately the 150 imo, much better bowlers, much more difficult conditions, + nobody else came close to his score in the first innings.

adub

International Captain
It's meant to rain tonight/tomorrow morning and all day Friday.
It's not meant to rain all day tomorrow. Intermittent rain until lunch time then cloudy but dry.

For me there is nothing strategically good about this declaration. It's the mid point of the third day FFS.

Has he kept the Indians out in the field to tire them out and maybe even blow one of their bowlers out for the series? Nope, only batted a bit under 5.5 sessions over 3 days - India happy.
Has he denied India use of the pitch whilst it's still a belter? Nope he's given them a good half a day at least on the pitch at or near it's flattest - India happy.
Has he given the openers a tricky little period with the new ball to survive before a break or stumps? Nope he's given them an hour to settle in before tea and then the whole last session - India happy.
Has he put so many runs on the board that the Indians know that even if lose their 10th wicket on the last over of the 5th day they lose. Nope, he's actually opened the door (admittedly only a tiny crack - but open nevertheless) for India to set a small on Day 5 - India happy.

There is absolutely no strategic advantage from the declaration. I don't doubt we'll win and win well, but it would have been sooooooooo much better to go for the 400 AND win. If we win this batting another 2 hours wouldn't have made it any harder, but might have made it easier.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not meant to rain all day tomorrow. Intermittent rain until lunch time then cloudy but dry.

For me there is nothing strategically good about this declaration. It's the mid point of the third day FFS.

Has he kept the Indians out in the field to tire them out and maybe even blow one of their bowlers out for the series? Nope, only batted a bit under 5.5 sessions over 3 days - India happy.
Has he denied India use of the pitch whilst it's still a belter? Nope he's given them a good half a day at least on the pitch at or near it's flattest - India happy.
Has he given the openers a tricky little period with the new ball to survive before a break or stumps? Nope he's given them an hour to settle in before tea and then the whole last session - India happy.
Has he put so many runs on the board that the Indians know that even if lose their 10th wicket on the last over of the 5th day they lose. Nope, he's actually opened the door (admittedly only a tiny crack - but open nevertheless) for India to set a small on Day 5 - India happy.

There is absolutely no strategic advantage from the declaration. I don't doubt we'll win and win well, but it would have been sooooooooo much better to go for the 400 AND win. If we win this batting another 2 hours wouldn't have made it any harder, but might have made it easier.
I think this is a pretty academic debate tbh. From an aesthetic pov it's obviously sad not to see him go absolutely bonkers but we were 470 ahead.

That's a lot of runs.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

irottev

U19 Cricketer
This Tendulkar hundred thing.

No one really gives a ****.

God Sehwag really is a FTB.

I agree fully good post. My thoughts exactly

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is dull.

With both innings scores and his bowling combined, Sehwag finally tons up.

adub

International Captain
I think this is a pretty academic debate tbh. From an aesthetic pov it's obviously sad not to see him go absolutely bonkers but we were 470 ahead.

That's a lot of runs.
It won't be academic if Tendulkar and Dravid or Laxman get set. I come from the never give a sucker an even break school of cricket captaincy. India deserve to still be pounding away on this road for a bit longer. Fingers crossed the Indians don't have any Cook/Trott in Brisbane efforts in them.