• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm still not convinced that Warner is a genuine class opener in Test cricket. Reckon he's probably good enough, but is it really just a case of circumstances at NSW that have seen him ending up opening?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm still not convinced that Warner is a genuine class opener in Test cricket. Reckon he's probably good enough, but is it really just a case of circumstances at NSW that have seen him ending up opening?
See I always wanted him to bat in the middle order for NSW, but he didn't get pushed up to open just because they had no other openers; he's regularly played in sides that have openers down to five pretty much and opened anyway.

EDIT: Unless you mean when he first cracked the OD side; in which case you're correct.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, the success he had there, I guess. But then he had the couple of games at 6 in the FC side and didn't set the world on fire either. Anyway, I'm being a little bit fussy, reckon that Cowan and Warner are a nice balanced pair, just think both are a tad under the requisite quality, at the moment.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
kinda. in FC anyway. last season he was in smashing form early in the season and he could have batted at 5/6, but because we were trying to play Hauritz/SOK/Cameron/Copeland/Clark/Bollinger he was the unlucky person. And then later on in the season with Jaques in horrible form & Usman injured he went to the top. he opened in the 2nd XI where he presumably had a say. i'm sure if he had been picked at 5/6 I'm sure he would have done well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, the success he had there, I guess. But then he had the couple of games at 6 in the FC side and didn't set the world on fire either. Anyway, I'm being a little bit fussy, reckon that Cowan and Warner are a nice balanced pair, just think both are a tad under the requisite quality, at the moment.
Well one of the top three will go when Watson comes back; and unless Cowan gets a big score before that happens then I'm fairly sure it'll be him.

Incidentally though I think Marsh has given a fair account of what he's like at Shield level in his short Test career so far, and exactly why he's so frustrating. He plays some wonderful innings and really, really looks the part half the time, but sometimes he just comes out to bat as if he's drugged up on calmers or something and plays really lazy cricket; looks completely spaced out. If Cowan does get a score before Watson comes back then I think it'll be Marsh to go rather than Warner. To his credit he actually tonned up in a Test though; his breezy innings of beauty at Shield level have typically ended in scores of 40-80.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well one of the top three will go when Watson comes back; and unless Cowan gets a big score before that happens then I'm fairly sure it'll be him.

Incidentally though I think Marsh has given a fair account of what he's like at Shield level in his short Test career so far, and exactly why he's so frustrating. He plays some wonderful innings and really, really looks the part half the time, but sometimes he just comes out to bat as if he's drugged up on calmers or something and plays really lazy cricket; looks completely spaced out. If Cowan does get a score before Watson comes back then I think it'll be Marsh to go rather than Warner. To his credit he actually tonned up in a Test though; his breezy innings of beauty at Shield level have typically ended in scores of 40-80.
I think Marsh has looked alright once he's in and a different customer to what we've seen from the younger SMarsh.

He's just shown the need to hit the ball too often too early in the innings. Scratchy starting.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think that's a terrible idea. Clarke's struggled enough at four without moving him up to three, and there's no way Christian should be playing really, even if Watson isn't. Australia have more top order depth than middle order depth at the moment so moving Clarke above five would just be silly at this point, IMO.
Fair enough, I just thought that one of the senior players in the prime of their career would front up and take more responsibility. But like you say, you cannot under-estimate the difference between his stats batting in top order and middle order.

I like S.Marsh and I think he should continue in the team. He can be frustrating but still a better batsman for the longer format than Warner imo. If Arthur can work with his mental switch on switch off ie not being lazy at the beginning of an innings and capitalising on starts, he is quality. Has a decent technique and can increase the tempo esepcially against the quicks.

On paper the Warner and Cowan combination is a good blend but I'm with Vic_Orthodox...I think they're both below the standard for test cricket over the long run.

How has Nic Maddinson been looking this season?

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a great day to be there. Seriously.
This. Had a ****ing blast.

Dhoni's captaincy throughout the whole day was seriously bizarre though; by the 60 over mark he was already waiting for the new ball, and when the new ball came he was already waiting to get his spinners back on.

Clarke though, WAG. Picked him for a double with some mates when he was batting yesterday. Going again tomorrow and would love to see him bring up the triple. The bloke barely seemed to break a sweat today so he should be good to go.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fair enough, I just thought that one of the senior players in the prime of their career would front up and take more responsibility. But like you say, you cannot under-estimate the difference between his stats batting in top order and middle order.

I like S.Marsh and I think he should continue in the team. He can be frustrating but still a better batsman for the longer format than Warner imo. If Arthur can work with his mental switch on switch off ie not being lazy at the beginning of an innings and capitalising on starts, he is quality. Has a decent technique and can increase the tempo esepcially against the quicks.

On paper the Warner and Cowan combination is a good blend but I'm with Vic_Orthodox...I think they're both below the standard for test cricket over the long run.

How has Nic Maddinson been looking this season?
Maddinson is pretty lucky not to have been dropped from the NSW side; a million miles away from a Test place at present.

Spikey

will be dropped once the bigbash is over. i guess the only question is whether we bat hughes down and open with usman

Ruckus

International Captain
He's just shown the need to hit the ball too often too early in the innings. Scratchy starting.
I think that's one of the problems with Warner so far as well. It looks like he doesn't really know what role he is trying to play, whether it be Sehwag-like aggression, or more of a moderate approach. I hope that's where he is going wrong anyway, because something like that should easily work itself out over time as he gets more experience (as opposed to bad technical issues).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Disagree to be honest. Warner's balance has been a bigger issue rather than shot selection. He looked to jump on width and chopped on, and he's probably going to do that because he loves width. Marsh is playing strokes that aren't really aggressive away from his body, that probably aren't going to hit the stumps.

Son Of Coco

What an incredible day's cricket. Amazing how we can go from all out for not many to this (admittedly on a wicket that was quite a bit more placid). Am lucky enough to have the only classroom in the school where you can see the cricket through the glass door. Gave the class an activity to do themselves and watched Clarke and Ponting bring up their hundreds.

Really happy for Punter.

morgieb

Dhoni's captaincy throughout the whole day was seriously bizarre though; by the 60 over mark he was already waiting for the new ball, and when the new ball came he was already waiting to get his spinners back on.

Clarke though, WAG. Picked him for a double with some mates when he was batting yesterday. Going again tomorrow and would love to see him bring up the triple. The bloke barely seemed to break a sweat today so he should be good to go.
Yeah that phase when he had the part-timers on around the 70-over mark was weird. I can see giving them a few overs to get a breakthrough, but not 15-20 ffs!

andyc

Have been too busy to be in here, but had the tv on at work and got to watch some. so stoked.

Has this been posted yet?

Kohli shows the finger, invites trouble | Firstpost
Haha I wondered if they'd captured that, I was sitting in the stands that he did it towards. They'd been giving him a bit but certainly nothing too over the top, and he was giving it back to the crowd as well (cupping his ears like he couldn't hear what they were shouting, etc.), but I was pretty surprised when he did that. Not a good look, but not a huge deal.

Spark

Global Moderator

If you read back some way you can see what some of us thought (especially me) about Dhoni's field placings - especially when he randomly took out all the slips and completely ****ed with Yadav's head