• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Redbacks

International Captain
Sehwag is the first hurdle for mine. Can quite easily produce some flukey runs like in the first innings out of nowhere. If he repeats his first innings effort (if you can call it that), we are in big trouble with a total very likely to be <300. Not as concerned about Dravid, he didn't look all that confident even when we weren't bowling as well, but Tendulkar looked in alarmingly good touch and Laxman has a killer 4th innings record. Dhoni, Kohli et al., I think we should be able to take care of fairly cheaply (hopefully). Another concern is that Pattinson and Hilf could be batting for quite lengthy period tommorow morning, and I hope it doesn't tire them out too much. Pattinson performance with the new ball will be crucial.

with no time pressure, Sehwag's speed of runs won't be as big a factor as usual. If he knocks our bowlers off their lines then he will have a decent impact on the result. The pitchmap showed nearly all our wickets were from fuller deliveries (just like Warner, Cowan, Marsh, Clarke and Ponting fell to). We need to get the ball up their and let the wicket cause the problems for their batsmen.

India has good experience when it comes to soaking up pressure, someone like Laxman on a good day will be too good, but I'd back us to defend 250 if we bowl well. i.e. siddle and hilf manage to get it right for a sustained period for once.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hate to buck the trend, but I reckon India should win this. Just new the batting would collapse in the first innings, but it is cool to see the bowlers come back so strongly. Hopefully his failure will result in Kohli being replaced by the far superior Rohit Sharma.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
I highly doubt he is finishing his career any time soon.
Hope you're right. Difficult to judge these days how close some of these guys are from the axe when most of the cricket gossip i read comes from this forum.

I really like the bloke though. Always had time for the youngsters. Had a few chats with him when i was a teenager when he was just breaking into the WA squad. His brother's a decent bloke too. Came down and had a net bowling that **** of his. Good laugh.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's kind of cool that this match is moving towards a final target which puts both teams in the balance (hopefully Huss can add at least 30 more to make it more even). It will be a real test of Australia's bowling vs India's batting, which could be said to be the defining battle of this series.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hope you're right. Difficult to judge these days how close some of these guys are from the axe when most of the cricket gossip i read comes from this forum.

I really like the bloke though. Always had time for the youngsters. Had a few chats with him when i was a teenager when he was just breaking into the WA squad. His brother's a decent bloke too. Came down and had a net bowling that **** of his. Good laugh.
yeah given his own performance, and the performances of the rest of the batting order, there is absolutely no chance he will be dropped soon. He shouldn't be either. I thought he should have been given a final chance this series because of his performances against SL and England, and so far he is doing well.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Hate to buck the trend, but I reckon India should win this. Just new the batting would collapse in the first innings, but it is cool to see the bowlers come back so strongly. Hopefully his failure will result in Kohli being replaced by the far superior Rohit Sharma.
In his post match interview, Sehwag reckons that this is the best bowling lineup with which he has played. Hasn't he played with Srinath,Prasad, Zaheer and Kumble/Bhajji or do anyone reckon this is better than that lineup?

Ruckus

International Captain
Spikey to confirm:

"MELBOURNE: Australian pacer Ben Hilfenhaus was a picture of modesty after claiming a five-wicket haul in India's first innings in the first Test on Wednesday, saying he was "the lucky one who came away with the rewards".

"We identified we needed to start well with the ball and as a bowling group we felt like we did that and I was probably the lucky one who came away with the rewards," said Hilfenhaus after bowling out India for 282 on day three at the MCG."

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In his post match interview, Sehwag reckons that this is the best bowling lineup with which he has played. Hasn't he played with Srinath,Prasad, Zaheer and Kumble/Bhajji or do anyone reckon this is better than that lineup?
This is better.

Zaheer of today is much better than Srinath.

Sharma will do better than Prasad in the long run IMO.

Yadav is equal to initial years of Zaheer in test cricket.

Kumble/Bhajji's best years were much better than Ashwin's present, though. He has to go a long way to match Kumble's success.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If Kohli ****s in the next 4th innings, time to give Sharma a go, IMO.

Although I do remember his pathetic display against bounce in limited over formats, but still for the sake of his awesome FC recrod.

ganeshran

International Debutant
If Kohli ****s in the next 4th innings, time to give Sharma a go, IMO.

Although I do remember his pathetic display against bounce in limited over formats, but still for the sake of his awesome FC recrod.
:blink: Rohit plays short pitched deliveries very well.

howardj

International Coach
It's a toss up, but I think I would rather be in Australia's position tonight. What with runs on the board, and the pressure that comes with chasing, I think if we bowl at the stumps (most dismissals will be LBW and bowled) then 250 will be just enough. Sehwag the key though - he can really relax the Indian dressing room if he gets off to a flier tomorrow.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's quite funny how every time a team is up against a chase it is said that everything depends on the openers and opening bowlers. It is more prevalent in ODIs. Whenever a team is preparing for a chase you'll find these so-called experts during the lunch break explaining how one of the openers have to make a century in order to win (or the new ball has to take 2 wickets to make the opposite happen).

It seemed quite funny to me when during the World Cup final an expert said that either Sehwag or Tendulkar has to be there till the 35th over at least if India were going to win... I thought what bull****! Yuvraj, Dhoni, Kohli, Gambhir, Raina are all competent ODI batsmen to chase the target. The fact that what I thought turned out to be the story of the match is mere coincidence. But the thought that the fate of a chase is decided in the first 15 overs is a childish thought. Had that been the case, we would never have close finishes!

I understand when India is going to chase 300 in the 5th day it depends on Sehwag to a large extent. But come on, in this case the success of this chase relies heavily on the middle-order. Of course, Sehwag can score a century and win us the match. But even if he makes a golden duck that wouldn't be a bigger setback than Tendulkar's golden duck, for instance.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Point taken, but I think Sehwag gets his runs so quickly that he can really relax the Indian dressing room and deflate Australia early doors if he gets off to a flier tomorrow. Sehwag can make a real dint on a small total like 250 if he stays there for a session. I think, as we saw in the first innings, it will be hard work for the other less attacking batsmen on this pitch (Tendulkar perhaps the exception).