• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bottom line is why can't all the other boards take a principled stand against BCCI when it comes to the DRS. There are nine other members who can possibly veto BCCI and vote for the DRS. Instead of blaming the BCCI that would be a step forward.
As I understand it, the structure of the ICC is such that for DRS to be mandatory, there needs to be unanimous support for it among member Boards.

I may be wrong in that regard, but there was a suggestion yesterday that this is the case.

Uppercut

Englamd's batting is being massively over-rated ATM. The past two series they've won have been against piss poor attacks, though their own bowling has been wonderful.

They've batted very well against those attacks, of course, and good on them.
Hmm, sort of. I quite often look at comparison threads and think that a lot of their batsmen have become overrated, but their lineup as a whole is pretty scary- having Prior, Broad and Bresnan coming in at 7, 8 and 9 is just obscene. And fwiw, not many people were calling either the Aussie or Indian attack piss-poor before their respective series against England. They're far from immune to good bowling but the thing about their lineup is, if the bowling isn't good enough to get them out, they won't get out to it. Of all the other test sides that's only really true of India, and even they aren't as inclined as England to really rub it in and rack up 200+ scores.

And their attack is just immense. I'm not much more comfortable with England being insanely good than you are, but that's what it's come to.

Burgey

Hmm, sort of. I quite often look at comparison threads and think that a lot of their batsmen have become overrated, but their lineup as a whole is pretty scary- having Prior, Broad and Bresnan coming in at 7, 8 and 9 is just obscene. And fwiw, not many people were calling either the Aussie or Indian attack piss-poor before their respective series against England. They're far from immune to good bowling but the thing about their lineup is, if the bowling isn't good enough to get them out, they won't get out to it. Of all the other test sides that's only really true of India, and even they aren't as inclined as England to really rub it in and rack up 200+ scores.

And their attack is just immense. I'm not much more comfortable with England being insanely good than you are, but that's what it's come to.
I'm not saying they're ********. I'm saying they've cashed in against very moderate bowling of late (as they should, btw).

TumTum

Banned

England are just lucky that almost all their players are in-form. It won't last long.

I would be happy with 350 from here.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's just whinging. If the teams are particular about it they should be able to get this across. Blaming BCCI will not take this issue any forward.
The BCCI are the board that kicks up a fuss whenever UDRS comes up. The ICC are happy to use the system in their events; Pakistan and Sri Lanka have had no issues with using the system when they've toured England; likewise the West Indies, Pakistan, England and New Zealand have been more than happy to use the system when they've toured Australia and the West Indies, South Africa and Sri Lanka have used the system in their home Tests, with Pakistan using it for their "home" Tests against England. The only time we get any problems with DRS is when India play, when a system which 7 other boards are happy to use all of a sudden isn't good enough.

The issue here is the ICC not being strong enough to stand up to the BCCI and legislate on a system that the vast majority of the cricketing world, as well as the ICC themselves, are happy to use. It's all very well to call it "whinging" but if the BCCI weren't such stupid, obstinate ****s when it comes to using technology to improve the number of correct decisions then this wouldn't be an issue. It is a nonsense that Tests involving India are subject to different playing conditions than Tests involving every other side in the world - the ICC really need to sort their **** out on this issue.

flibbertyjibber

England are just lucky that almost all their players are in-form. It won't last long.
Only lasted 3 years where we are unbeaten in all series, such a poor team.:ph34r:

Anyway back to this game and Aus just need to bat the first session out and they have a decent total as Haddin if he stays in will score quickly enough to get a good score on the board.

Burgey

I would be happy with 350 from here.
That's a silly comment mate. They have some good to very good players who have backed up thier bowlers really well.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That's my biggest bugbear with India's stance on DRS.

I don't want batsmen on debut being dismissed when they haven't made an error and I don't want a batsmen potentially having time called on his career because he was in poor form going into a Test and got a shocker first ball when there is a perfectly good system in place to stop things like that happening.
Exactly this. As fond as I am for Cowan, I felt particularly bad for Hussey. The guy has a career riding on the line here

TumTum

Banned
That's a silly comment mate. They have some good to very good players who have backed hither bowlers really well.
Their recent averages don't reflect good to very good though, but rather great. I don't think you can select any ATG players from their side who can continue to perform once they hit a bad patch.

Uppercut

Their recent averages don't reflect good to very good though, but rather great. I don't think you can select any ATG players from their side who can continue to perform once they hit a bad patch.
You're just seeing what you want to see.

SeamUp

International Coach
Absolute disgrace that there was no DRS due to India again!

The game has become far too important for individuals with jobs on the line and so on to say 'you win some you lose some'. Those days are gone and tbh at the end of the day...we want the right decsision every single time, well as close to. We have the technology, lets use it.

Make no bones about it, those two decisions could prove very costly for the Aussies.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Exactly this. As fond as I am for Cowan, I felt particularly bad for Hussey. The guy has a career riding on the line here
I feel bad for the umpires as well. Most people would kill for a system in their job that effectively said "ok, you've made a mistake. Don't worry about it, we can change the outcome and pretend the error didn't happen." There were plenty of rubbish decisions made in the last Ashes series. None of them were a bone of contention because we had UDRS to help rectify them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, there's absolutely no way Cook would be capable of cracking 1,500 runs in a 12 month period when he couldn't score a Test century in 2008 or averaged about 20 in the 2010 season. No way at all that could happen.

gvenkat

State Captain
The BCCI are the board that kicks up a fuss whenever UDRS comes up. The ICC are happy to use the system in their events; Pakistan and Sri Lanka have had no issues with using the system when they've toured England; likewise the West Indies, Pakistan, England and New Zealand have been more than happy to use the system when they've toured Australia and the West Indies, South Africa and Sri Lanka have used the system in their home Tests, with Pakistan using it for their "home" Tests against England. The only time we get any problems with DRS is when India play, when a system which 7 other boards are happy to use all of a sudden isn't good enough.

The issue here is the ICC not being strong enough to stand up to the BCCI and legislate on a system that the vast majority of the cricketing world, as well as the ICC themselves, are happy to use. It's all very well to call it "whinging" but if the BCCI weren't such stupid, obstinate ****s when it comes to using technology to improve the number of correct decisions then this wouldn't be an issue. It is a nonsense that Tests involving India are subject to different playing conditions than Tests involving every other side in the world - the ICC really need to sort their **** out on this issue.
You are only emphasizing my point. ICC is happy to use it for their events. India has no objections there. SO why not make it mandatory like wise. Also we have to agree that the system is not 100% accurate, I'm not saying we cannot use it because it's not 100% that's BS. But some one should explain why BCCI thinks it's not 100% and work on a system that is going to give us 100%. Clearly we can say that the predictive path is just a waste of time.

It's up to the ICC and the other boards to stand up and take a concrete stand.

TumTum

Banned
I wouldn't blame the umpires as those were tough calls. Haddin was plumb though. Still it's unfortunate if the batsman knows clearly he hasn't hit it and still has to go.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You are only emphasizing my point. ICC is happy to use it for their events. India has no objections there. SO why not make it mandatory like wise. Also we have to agree that the system is not 100% accurate, I'm not saying we cannot use it because it's not 100% that's BS. But some one should explain why BCCI thinks it's not 100% and work on a system that is going to give us 100%. Clearly we can say that the predictive path is just a waste of time.

It's pretty hard to debate this point sensibly when rubbish like this is posted, and for that reason, I'm out.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

So... You're saying it's stupid to not use it just because it's not 100% accurate, but at the same time that the BCCI are valid in refusing it because it's not 100%? Just a touch contradictory imo.

gvenkat

State Captain
It's pretty hard to debate this point sensibly when rubbish like this is posted, and for that reason, I'm out.

Without appearing pretentious, Why don't you debate the issue? Simple question for you to ponder.. Yes predictive path is just a waste of time.

1) Why Can't the other boards take a stand with the ICC?