• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This bloody montage on Clarke is awful. "My pop says I'm better than Bradman". Fmd only one bloke in this test who that applies to.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Jesus, this PR clip from Clarke is woeful. Just waiting for a shot closing in on his Dad crying at his first Test run.

EDIT: Oh man, I wasn't far off in the end!

Ruckus

International Captain
Mate if the wicket isn't a raging green top why would you bowl first? Fmd, it's such a defensive move in those circumstances.

It looks a normal Melbourne pitch. If it plays like it, then batting is the right call.

As long as they don't drive expansively on it pre-lunch whe it's like Zaheer (tacky) they should be right.
I'm not watching yet, but from cricinfo it sounds like it is a green wicket. Together with the apparently overcast conditions (which according to the forecast) could be confined mainly to this morning, I would much prefer to have bowled first. Why not get at the Indian's when they are the most unsettled?

Uppercut

Because if the wicket isn't really green, you're basically saying you can't bat well enough.
That's no more true than batting first is saying that you can't bowl well enough. It might well be a mistake to bowl rather than bat but it's not a defensive move, if anything it increases the chance of a positive result.

Burgey

That's no more true than batting first is saying that you can't bowl well enough. It might well be a mistake to bowl rather than bat but it's not a defensive move, if anything it increases the chance of a positive result.
That's bull****.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
It's that Australian arrogance of, "We're going to bat first", no matter what the pitch is. Remember in Cape Town Clarke said he would've batted.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah, I'm with you on this, I don't get the rationale tbh.

flibbertyjibber

May end up being a good toss to lose but I would imagine Michael Clarke knows far more about the Melbourne wicket than any of us do on here so we have to back his judgment.

Just a tough first session to get through until Zaheer breaks down.:ph34r:

Burgey

Yeah, I'm with you on this, I don't get the rationale tbh.
You're both right. The accepted wisdom of every test captain since 1877 has nothing on you guys.

Runs on the board sets up the game. You mean to tell me you'd look at this pitch and bowl first on it?

Fmd.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You're both right. The accepted wisdom of every test captain since 1877 has nothing on you guys.

Runs on the board sets up the game. You mean to tell me you'd look at this pitch and bowl first on it?

Fmd.
Yeah AWTA strongly. Blokes here be mad.

ajdude

International Coach
It's that Australian arrogance of, "We're going to bat first", no matter what the pitch is. Remember in Cape Town Clarke said he would've batted.
we did bat first in cape town.

Zaheer's hair is impressive, I'd want my 3 year old son to look like that