• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think what most people have ignored is that Pakistan is still rebuilding and will continue to do so for the next few years. We have a good no of new guys who are getting used to test cricket (Azhar, Shafiq, Junaid), but they have potential. The great thing is that we are currently doing the basics right (we haven't collapsed in a while). And as we get better and our players get more experience, their defensive mindset will change, they will become more used to a winning attitude and so our flair will come back. Azhar and Shafiq average much better when they are playing with Misbah and Younis. Umar also averaged better when he batted with MoYo. So we have a good mixture of youngsters and seniors to pass on the experience.
Yeah. The main reason I am looking forward for this series is to see whether the likes of Asad Hafeez and Azhar are good enough to help us challenge the top sides in the coming years if they don't perform up to expectation I guess we are back to square one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah. The main reason I am looking forward for this series is to see whether the likes of Asad Hafeez and Azhar are good enough to help us challenge the top sides in the coming years if they don't perform up to expectation I guess we are back to square one.
Nah, that would be ridiculous. Over the past yearyou've quite comfortably beaten the sides round about you - a bad series against the number 1 side shouldn't adversely affect too many players in the side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
While I agree that we need to keep expectations in check for Pakistan, and that what they've achieved is rather remarkable given all the **** that their team has been put through in the last few years, I don't think there's anything wrong with setting lofty ambitions. Of course you should aim to be the best, why should you settle for anything lower than that?

The key to expectations management isn't where you set your targets, it's how you react if you don't meet them. The more ambitious your goal, the more you'll likely need to tolerate missing it.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Serious question, if Afridi was available for test selection would people pick him over Rehman? I know I would.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Nah, that would be ridiculous. Over the past yearyou've quite comfortably beaten the sides round about you - a bad series against the number 1 side shouldn't adversely affect too many players in the side.
I would be happy if we take 20 wickets for each test and not collapse, even if we lose 3-0. England are a top side and there is no shame in losing to them as long we make them fight hard to win the series.

Don't care enough about ODIs to bet on them.
Fair enough

Serious question, if Afridi was available for test selection would people pick him over Rehman? I know I would.
I would as well. He is a good leg spinner and a better batsmen than Abdul Rahman.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone wanna bet with me? Nice and simple Test series win bet:

England win - I own your avatar a year
Pakistan win - you own my avatar 2 years
Draw - you own my avatar 6 months

In the event of an England/Pakistan win occurring without the other side winning a Test then you double the duration, so if Pakistan win 1-0 then you have my avatar for 4 years

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year

In the event of an England/Pakistan win occurring without the other side winning a Test then you double the duration, so if Pakistan win 1-0 then you have my avatar for 4 years
I sense confidence in this one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
While I agree that we need to keep expectations in check for Pakistan, and that what they've achieved is rather remarkable given all the **** that their team has been put through in the last few years, I don't think there's anything wrong with setting lofty ambitions. Of course you should aim to be the best, why should you settle for anything lower than that?

The key to expectations management isn't where you set your targets, it's how you react if you don't meet them. The more ambitious your goal, the more you'll likely need to tolerate missing it.
Yeah, it was Xuhaib's "back to square one" comment I was disagreeing with.

smash84

The Tiger King

Damn......this is too tempting

smash84

The Tiger King

Agent......bet against GIMH. He is offering much better odds than Furball.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Lol, I think I would take the six months from Furball rather than the 2 years from GIMH. But if you think they are better odds, then go ahead and make a bet with him.

ganeshran

International Debutant
GIMH has a very tempting bet... he is offering a bet win on the series being drawn on flat pitches.

If I hadnt made another avatar bet (and Pakistan didnt collapse that much :ph34r: ), I would take him on

Xuhaib

International Coach
If Pakistan has any aspirations of a top 3 side then it would be a worryong sign that there key batsman for the future are unable to average 40 in sub Continental conditions against the top sides. there are atleast a dozen batsman in Pakistan who can smash Lanka and BD in sub continental conditions its the performance against the big teams.that separate men from the boys.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Black Warrior,

This Pakistani side is no way near as talented as some of the past Pakistani sides your expectations should be relative to the strength of the current side. The only things that bug me about this Pakistan side is Misbah's continued insistence of bowling first on these flat tracks and the over cautious approach by the batsman even when they are well in. These 2 tactics I reckon will backfire on Pakistan when they take on Top sides.
I know this is not a very talented side. That is why I do not expect them to win this series. If they did I would be extremely happy, but if they lose I am fine with it (as long as they dont drop catches and gift England the series). However having said that, not being as talented as some of the previous sides is no excuse for drawing 1-1 against West Indies or not winning at least 2-0 against Sri Lanka.

I have heard this "we are rebuilding" excuse since the 2003 World Cup exit. If we have this attitude of "oh we are rebuilding so we cant really win", we are never going to improve. The late 70, early 80 sides that Imran played in werent the most talented either but when he took over, the attitude changed because they started to aim high. The West Indies side was much greater than Imran's Pakistan in terms of talent and reputation yet they never managed to beat Pakistan because Pakistan aimed high, they fought hard.

Same here. I really like Azhar Ali and very happy with the hard work he has put in and improvement he has shown. He is the one I would be watching closely along with Junaid Khan.

No.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Just some final thoughts before the series, I really hope Pakistan do not make the same mistake they made in 2000 against England. Pakistan's strength has always been pace and never spin. Do not rely on spin to beat England. It is a myth that England cannot play spin.
The current English batting line up is far better than the side they had in 2000 and Saqlain and the overrated Kaneria, who were expected to win the series for Pakistan failed in 2000.

This strategy has never worked for Pakistan and never will. Pakistan should go with a 3 man pace attack, with Junaid taking the new ball with Gul instead of Cheema. I cannot stand the sight of medium pacers taking the new ball for Pakistan. Ajmal should be picked as the main spinner and we have Hafeez if they need a second spinner.

slowfinger

International Debutant

Unless someone has already taken that up, I would be more than willing to :)