• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
we lost our 2 leading fast bowlers in no time ofcourse its not going to be easy to find replacements. The current fast bowling stocks do look mediocre but then Pakistan does have the tendency to throw up a world class fast bowler every now and then lets wait for a while I say.:)

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't understand why people everywhere, especially writers on Cricinfo are talking so highly about Pakistan now. Yeah they beat Bangladesh..but even Zimbabwe beat Bangladesh so that's not really saying much is it.

And if I read one more article on Cricinfo about how good Taufeeq and Hafeez are as openers I am going to ban that site. I have seen them play for all their cricketing career and they suck.. It doesnt matter how many centuries they scored against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. They do not have the technique or skill to deal with someone like Anderson.

Gul is not someone who can carry a bowling attack for the entire series against a top quality side. The spinners are good but English batsmen play spin pretty well. Pietersen, Bell and Trott are all good players of spin.

It is disappointing for me to see medium pacers like Cheema opening the bowling for Pakistan.

There are two players I am looking forward to seeing - Azhar Ali and Junaid Khan.
So you expect England to clean sweep the series?

In the list of minnows you forgot to add SL :p

ganeshran

International Debutant
You're going on about it as if GF will actually lose...
I just looked up the conditions and there is not likely that GF will lose with this many factors contributing. Its not a fair bet between a first and fifth ranked team, with consistency getting high marks.

If the bet puts equal weightage on Tests and ODIs it would be much fairer IMO

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So you expect England to clean sweep the series?

In the list of minnows you forgot to add SL :p

When it comes to Pakistan, I have very high standards. Sri Lanka is a poor test team and Pakistan should have beaten them 3-0. And they failed to beat a West Indies team earlier this year. 1-1 is just not good enough.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I am sorry, they are my team and I am not going to tolerate average performances from them. I don't expect them go thrash England or South Africa in their own den but I do expect them to win a series against West Indies. That was extremely disappointing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I just looked up the conditions and there is not likely that GF will lose with this many factors contributing. Its not a fair bet between a first and fifth ranked team, with consistency getting high marks.

If the bet puts equal weightage on Tests and ODIs it would be much fairer IMO
That's funny, I don't recall asking for your opinion.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I am sorry, they are my team and I am not going to tolerate average performances from them. I don't expect them go thrash England or South Africa in their own den but I do expect them to win a series against West Indies. That was extremely disappointing.
One thing you must remember is what Pakistan have been through in the last year and a half. No cricketing nation IIRC has had their best bowlers thrown in jail, conspiracies circling them left right and centre, been written off, not allowed to play in their own country, and still been able to beat Sri Lanka, draw with South Africa, beat New Zealand, get to the Semi Finals in the world cup, produce more players, get an awesome captain out of nowhere, gain positions in the ICC rankings, have new players (Ajmal/Hafez) in the Bowling rankings.

You aren't giving them enough credit. Pakistan is a fighting nation, the most 'random', exciting, fearless, talented nations the world has to offer. Give or take the government, I wouldn't be so downed about us. We will bounce.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing you must remember is what Pakistan have been through in the last year and a half. No cricketing nation IIRC has had their best bowlers thrown in jail, conspiracies circling them left right and centre, been written off, not allowed to play in their own country, and still been able to beat Sri Lanka, draw with South Africa, beat New Zealand, get to the Semi Finals in the world cup, produce more players, get an awesome captain out of nowhere, gain positions in the ICC rankings, have new players (Ajmal/Hafez) in the Bowling rankings.

You aren't giving them enough credit. Pakistan is a fighting nation, the most 'random', exciting, fearless, talented nations the world has to offer. Give or take the government, I wouldn't be so downed about us. We will bounce.
Look I understand what you're saying but that kind of thinking prevents you from pushing yourself to setting high standards. Yes they managed to qualify for the semi finals and then dropped Tendulkar 4 times..they could have easily won that match, they could have beaten Sri Lanka in their sleep in the finals.

I am not going to be satisfied with just qualifying for the semi finals or beating West Indies 1-1 just because of external problems. I am realistic with my expectations and as I said I do not expect them to beat England or South Africa or India in a test series...but we also should not make an excuse for poor performances, poor fielding and catching that costs us important matches

Howe_zat

Audio File

Nice post.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Black Warrior,

This Pakistani side is no way near as talented as some of the past Pakistani sides your expectations should be relative to the strength of the current side. The only things that bug me about this Pakistan side is Misbah's continued insistence of bowling first on these flat tracks and the over cautious approach by the batsman even when they are well in. These 2 tactics I reckon will backfire on Pakistan when they take on Top sides.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think what most people have ignored is that Pakistan is still rebuilding and will continue to do so for the next few years. We have a good no of new guys who are getting used to test cricket (Azhar, Shafiq, Junaid), but they have potential. The great thing is that we are currently doing the basics right (we haven't collapsed in a while). And as we get better and our players get more experience, their defensive mindset will change, they will become more used to a winning attitude and so our flair will come back. Azhar and Shafiq average much better when they are playing with Misbah and Younis. Umar also averaged better when he batted with MoYo. So we have a good mixture of youngsters and seniors to pass on the experience.

@Furball, want to have the same bet for the ODI's. This time with no set duration because the teams are evenly ranked (so no 6 months set period, but rather each month per points difference).