• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I would like to see Philander on a flat pitch before making any judgement.
Let's not forget that two complete attacks have performed on the same tracks that Philander has. And he has outbowled everyone - Steyn included - by a fair margin.

Not saying that he should be rated just on the basis of these three tests, but the factor I just mentioned should be taken into consideration as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is Herath the funniest tailender in world cricket? You just know he won't hang around, even though he can.

Spark

Global Moderator
Let's not forget that two complete attacks have performed on the same tracks that Philander has. And he has outbowled everyone - Steyn included - by a fair margin.

Not saying that he should be rated just on the basis of these three tests, but the factor I just mentioned should be taken into consideration as well.
I honestly don't think he outbowled Steyn first Test vs us tbh. The difference is that Steyn did his best work when Clarke was in "I hate bowlers" mode and he did his work against Aus in "what is this piece of wood for?" mode.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I honestly don't think he outbowled Steyn first Test vs us tbh. The difference is that Steyn did his best work when Clarke was in "I hate bowlers" mode and he did his work against Aus in "what is this piece of wood for?" mode.
I'd agree about the first innings. Steyn did look unplayable, especially when Clarke was new to the crease. By and large though, Philander has been the finest bowler I've seen in this short season thus far.

You'd remember that even in the first new-ball spell of that test, Philander looked visually better than Steyn. While Steyn's new ball control left a bit to be desired, Philander's debut spell was dare I say, Hadleesque, in skill, surgical precision and tactical nous.

Spark

Global Moderator
Interesting shot from Mathews. A mixture of Brad Haddin rush-of-blood and Phil Hughes slips practice.

5 for Philander - Test cricket, psh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Could easily see plenty of perfect outswingers played and missed at from Steyn here.

EDIT: Or that.

Jacknife

International Captain
Watching this test today you have to wonder whether some batsmen have collectively forgotten how to play test cricket, the standard of batting of late has been woeful.