• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol wac.

Meanwhile I heard recently you've been working from home.

Bitch please. Toowomba?

Here's the beach place I was working from on Monday. Nice views, but the Wifi a bit dodgy.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The more dodgy the wifi the less likely you are to post on CW during the Ind vs. Aust series right?

Can you move there full time then :ph34r:

Burgey

The more dodgy the wifi the less likely you are to post on CW during the Ind vs. Aust series right?

Can you move there full time then :ph34r:
Will get a land line installed just for it.

Build up is disappointingly low-key. I suspect the knocks India took in England has deflated some of the more braggardly supporters who were strutting around like contenders at a bodybuilding contest during their team's 6 months excellence out of 70 years' trying. As for our side, there are so many batting collapses, I don't think we've a right to be confident about anything, even though your attack is like under 10s bowling under arm (except Zaheer).

Both teams seem to be scratching around to find a fit fast bowling attack. Incredible spate of injuries about the place atm.

Top_Cat

You can feel this pain making Australia better

Australia's aim, in these transitional years, should not have been to prolong the afterglow but to find new champions. That was Greg Chappell's philosophy. Fortunately he was only dumped as a selector after he had pushed for the promotions of Cummins, Pattinson, Lyon and Warner. Warner, in particular, reinvented himself as a long-form batsman under Chappell's eye on the recent tour of Zimbabwe. He showed champion qualities in the last two days.

Spikey

guess i can throw out the paine voodoo doll and construct the wade voodoo doll. nev nev nev nev

howardj

International Coach
Transitional years? We can't enter those until the selectors **** off the old, underperforming hacks like Ponting, Hussey, and Haddin.

howardj

International Coach
That's the double whammy - we're not only being routinely humiliated with the bat, but the guys who are being humiliated have no long term future anyway

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Last 7 tests - w3, l2, d2

performers:
1st Test v SL
Contributors: Watson (bowling), Clarke, Hussey, Harris, Lyon
Passable: Ponting (just barely), Khawaja (just barely), Haddin (gloves), Copeland (just barely), Haddin (gloves)
Fail: Watson (batting), Hughes, Haddin (batting), Johnson,

2nd Test v SL
Contributors: Marsh, Hussey, Harris
Passable: Watson, Hughes, Khawaja, Copeland,
Fail: Clarke, Haddin (batting), Johnson, Lyon

3rd Test v SL
Contributors: Hughes, Marsh, Clarke, Hussey, Siddle
Passable: Watson (bowling), Ponting, Haddin, Copeland (just)
Fail: Watson (batting), Johnson, Lyon

1st Test v SA
Contributors: Clarke, Harris, Watson (bowling)
Passable: Marsh,
Fail: Watson (batting), Hughes, Ponting, Hussey, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Lyon

2nd Test v SA
Contributors: Hughes, Watson, Khawaja (just), Johnson (batting), Cummins
Passable: Ponting, Hussey (just), Haddin, Siddle (just), Lyon, Clarke (bowling)
Fail: Clarke, Johnson (bowling)

1st Test v NZ
Contributors: Ponting, Clarke, Haddin, Pattinson, Lyon
Passable: Warner, Khawaja, Hussey (bowling), Siddle,
Fail: Hughes, Hussey (batting), Starc,

2nd Test v SL
Contributors: Warner, Siddle, Pattinson
Passable: Hussey (bowling), Lyon
Fail: Hughes, Khawaja, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey (batting), Haddin (batting), Starc

The problem with hanging onto old guys out of form and arguing that we can't afford to not have experienced players in the side is pretty obvious.
Ponting has been a contributor in only 1 of these 7 matches and Johnson's only real contribution before his injury was with the bat. And it's not like these two had any form in the previous year or two to back it up.

Conversely we give Marsh a go, He contributes big time in 2 of three matches and may have made it 3 if not for his injury (which is another story). We chuck Lyon in the deep end and he's made real contributions in two matches (wins) as well as a very strong pass mark in another win. We chuck at green cap at an 18 yo Cummins and he wins a test for us. We chuck another at Pattinson and he goes back to back 7-fers. We give Warner a shot and carries his bat and scores 53% of the team total to almost salvage a win where all around him guys with thousands of test runs are chucking their wickets away. Even guys like Copeland and Uzi have been at least passable and contributing far more than the koalas. Hughes for all his failures has made significant contributions to two tests (1w, 1d), so only Starc of the débutantes has failed to be a clear improvement on the man he replaced (and he's certainly no worse than Johnson)

If we can learn anything out of the last 6 months it's that giving a young guy (even ones with modest to non-existent fc records) a go is far more likely return a result for us than crossing our fingers and toes and praying for Ponting to come good again. That's why I've come around to giving Cowan a shot, and why I think Watson should take Ponting's spot on boxing day at 4 no matter what happens with Marsh's dodgy back. Hussey deserves a bit more rope, but not much. If he doesn't come good I'd be tempted to give a Christian or even a Maxwell a shot in the Caribbean. Hazelwood or one of the other young quicks should also get a go with Harris saved as the injury back up.

Most people were thinking, 'give Ponting the NZ tests to get some runs under his belt and back in form for the Indians'. Well that worked out just great didn't it. Would we have gone any worse if we'd dumped Ponting and played Christian or Cowan in his place? Not very likely. I fear we'll be having similar regrets after the Indian series as well.

Top_Cat

Most people were thinking, 'give Ponting the NZ tests to get some runs under his belt and back in form for the Indians'. Well that worked out just great didn't it. Would we have gone any worse if we'd dumped Ponting and played Christian or Cowan in his place? Not very likely. I fear we'll be having similar regrets after the Indian series as well.
Ponting will play because he has a godly record against India at home and absolutely nothing in his batting has changed since 2003 except his form.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tim Paine Is DEAD
You know it's funny; I've felt Paine to be over-rated ever since he played those Tests in India and everyone jumped on the bandwagon (I was actually always a big fan of him before then, more just as a cricketer with potential though), but over the last couple of weeks I've started to think that it might not be such a bad idea to have him in the side over Wade once Haddin goes if he's fit. He's not as good an overall batsman as Haddin or Wade but I've been coming more and more around to the idea that Australia don't need someone who can score big runs from #7, but more someone who can score consistent runs at #7. Paine gets a lot of starts due to his tight technique but doesn't convert due to only God knows why but having consistent 30s from the position would probably be more beneficial in preventing collapses than having a North-like creature there. And as soon as I start entertaining those thoughts, the news of his injury complication hits; can't take a trick.

Or we could just pick Nev who does both. :p