• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Woodster

International Captain
England squad for Pakistan series

The England squad is set to be announced tomorrow with few places up for debate, and the same squad selected as the original squad for the last Ashes, but for Ravi Bopara coming in for Paul Collingwood.

Do we expect any major surprises ? Is Monty Panesar the obvious selection alongside Swann in the spin department ? Will Steven Davies again provide the back-up for Prior ?

The likely 16 is -

Strauss (c), Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Morgan, Prior (wk), Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Tremlett, Finn, Panesar, Bopara, Davies (wk).

Would anyone find a place for Jonny Bairstow or James Taylor ? Personally I can't currently look past the likely 16, though I hope Graham Onions is seriously considered as an option.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have Taylor for Bopara but go with the other 15 from the ashes squad. Nice to have such a settled side at present. The only possible question marks are reserve keeper, reserve spinner, spare batsman and the fitness of Bresnan which will be sorted at a later date.

Good times.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I like Onions but I daresay our fast bowling is something of a full quiver at the moment, and I'm quite pleased with Finn's progress myself.

The only change I'd make would be to take Bairstow along as backup keeper. Davies hasn't done anything wrong since making the last squad, so I'm not complaining either way. You know that weird incling when you've decided someone looks the business? I get that with Bairstow. No, I can't reasonably explain myself.

I know Samit Patel has a lot of support here but he's the one I'd be genuinely annoyed about if selected. I just don't see his mediocre spin adding much in the long format. And if one doesn't consider Bopara a good enough bat, there are better batsmen than Patel to pick from.

Edit: If Bresnan isn't fit, I'd howl with anguish take Onions. Best like-for-like replacement as a bowler. They aren't going to play five bowlers regardless, and our tail is perfectly fine without Bres, if not as good, so we don't need an allrounder to replace him, just our next best quick.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I would like England to play 5 bowlers on the flat pitches of the UAE, and because of that I would preferably bring in Patel or Borthwick to add to the batting, although I know Patel's spin won't add much.

Obviously England probably won't go with 5 bowlers in which case what seamer would you leave out of the starting XI? In fact would you even play 2 spinners?

Woodster

International Captain
If England were ever going to go in with five bowlers, and playing both Panesar and Swann, then the UAE would be the place to do it. If memory serves me right, these pitches can be so flat, and the confidence we have in our top six to get the runs means that five bowlers should be a real consideration. I agree it's still unlikely though unless we have to chase the series at some point.

Would prefer Bopara in the squad myself ahead of Taylor at this stage, or Bairstow. I also think Patel's spinners are being a little underrated here, I'm not suggesting he should get the gig ahead of Panesar, but he could, in the future with the right form behind him, become an option in these conditions at six or seven. He is better than part-time with the ball imo.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I agree that Patel's bowling is better than part-time, but in Test match cricket I don't think it's enough to make an impact. I wouldn't rate his bowling as better than Collingwood's, for example.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I agree that Patel's bowling is better than part-time, but in Test match cricket I don't think it's enough to make an impact. I wouldn't rate his bowling as better than Collingwood's, for example.
I'd see him playing more of a part in sub-continental conditions, than Collingwood would in any conditions that may favour his style of bowling. Colly would be relied upon to get through maybe a fair number of overs bowling his cutters and perhaps being relatively economical, while I think Patel would represent a greater threat with the ball.

Howe_zat

Audio File
He might be used more in the subcontinent, but I think it would be erroneously. Spinners of Patel's quality are ten a penny over there and I'd say the Asian batsmen would be more than happy to see him come on to bowl rather than one of our seamers.

Jacknife

International Captain
Bringing in the 5th bowler would mean dropping Morgan, who I'd fancy will go well out there, especially against the spin. Like others have said though if we were ever going to play 5 bowlers, it would be in the UAE and if we do, personally I'm not sure who I'd go with between Panesar or Patel, each has their own advantages and disadvantages . Obviously I think the team will assess things when they get over there and see how the warm up games go and decide from there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd see him playing more of a part in sub-continental conditions, than Collingwood would in any conditions that may favour his style of bowling. Colly would be relied upon to get through maybe a fair number of overs bowling his cutters and perhaps being relatively economical, while I think Patel would represent a greater threat with the ball.
I don't. Subcontinental batsmen would lick their lips at the prospect of Patel being used as a frontline spinner.

Patel's ability to bowl left arm filth shouldn't affect his selection in the top 6 whatsoever.

Woodster

International Captain
I don't. Subcontinental batsmen would lick their lips at the prospect of Patel being used as a frontline spinner.

Patel's ability to bowl left arm filth shouldn't affect his selection in the top 6 whatsoever.
Yes you're right we do have to take into account the ability of the opposition to play that particular style of bowling. But in general if Patel played in favourable conditions, wherever in the world, I would back him to have more impact than Colly would in any conditions of his choice.

Your opinion is he bowls filth, I think he's better than that. The fact he does bowl has to be taken into account should he be selected in giving balance to the side.

Woodster

International Captain
Bringing in the 5th bowler would mean dropping Morgan, who I'd fancy will go well out there, especially against the spin. Like others have said though if we were ever going to play 5 bowlers, it would be in the UAE and if we do, personally I'm not sure who I'd go with between Panesar or Patel, each has their own advantages and disadvantages . Obviously I think the team will assess things when they get over there and see how the warm up games go and decide from there.
I agree that both Morgan is the one that would likely miss out, and that he'll do well in the UAE. But we do select bowlers for the surface, so should Morgan be the one to miss out on pitches where he's expected to excel ? Should these horses for courses selections extend to the batting unit selected and not just the bowlers ?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be interested to see England go in with 5 bowlers. Patel would be a bit of a hedge your bets and lose both ways selection in my opinion.

I'm torn on which 5 bowlers though. I definitely think Borthwick and Panesar should both tour. There's even the potential I think to pick those two AND Swann in exceptional circumstances. I think Borthwick will do well over there - he did well in the curtain raiser game against the MCC with the pink ball (two cheap 4-fers). I think having two finger spinners in a 5 man attack is a little bit same-y, but they're rather different bowlers and Pakistan have shown they're vulnerable against both these two in the past. I also think these pitches won't be as flat as a lot of people seem to think, these generally aren't draw pitches. Yes the games are generally a bit turgid but good bowlers will get people out (unless you drop all the chances like Pakistan did). A wrist spinner will be really helpful to clean up the tail, anyone else will struggle to knock them over.